Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica playlist 1992 - 2009

• 21-04-2009 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

It was Kess73's idea here.

So what songs from after the Black album would you add to make up your playlist? Metallica originals only (no stuff from Garage Inc). And we'll see if there is an entire album's worth of good songs from the last 17 years (that seems like a really long time actually!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I think it has to be more than just good songs, it has to be an album worth of songs that can stand up as Metallica classics.

Have they written 8 to 10 classic songs in the last 17 years? Maybe we will find out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

Kess73 wrote: »
    I think it has to be more than just good songs, it has to be an album worth of songs that can stand up as Metallica classics.

Have they written 8 to 10 classic songs in the last 17 years? Maybe we will find out

That's what I meant :)

Been thinking about it since I posted my first message and I don't think there are 8 - 10 songs that could make anything near as good as Master of Puppets, what did they spend the last 17 years doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Okay so the options are:

Load
    1. "Ain't My Bitch"
    2. "2 x 4"
    3. "The House Jack Built"
    4. "Until It Sleeps"
    5. "King Nothing"
    6. "Hero of the Day"
    7. "Bleeding Me"
    8. "Cure"
    9. "Poor Twisted Me"
    10. "Wasting My Hate"
    11. "Mama Said"
    12. "Thorn Within"
    13. "Ronnie"
    14. "The Outlaw Torn"

Reload
    1. "Fuel"
    2. "The Memory Remains"
    3. "Devil's Dance"
    4. "The Unforgiven II"
    5. "Better than You"
    6. "Slither"
    7. "Carpe Diem Baby"
    8. "Bad Seed"
    9. "Where the Wild Things Are"
    10. "Prince Charming"
    11. "Low Man's Lyric"
    12. "Attitude"
    13. "Fixxxer"

St. Anger
    1. "Frantic"
    2. "St. Anger"
    3. "Some Kind of Monster"
    4. "Dirty Window"
    5. "Invisible Kid"
    6. "My World"
    7. "Shoot Me Again"
    8. "Sweet Amber"
    9. "The Unnamed Feeling"
    10. "Purify"
    11. "All Within My Hands"

Death Magnetic
    1. "That Was Just Your Life"
    2. "The End of the Line"
    3. "Broken, Beat & Scarred"
    4. "The Day That Never Comes"
    5. "All Nightmare Long"
    6. "Cyanide"
    7. "The Unforgiven III"
    8. "The Judas Kiss"
    9. "Suicide & Redemption"
    10. "My Apocalypse"

I hated Load on its release and I haven't bothered listening to it since so that album is out for me. I don't think I've ever listened to Reload properly so that's out too. St. Anger might have some good songs on it but I can't bring myself to listen to it properly either. The production on the album ruins it.

That just leaves Death Magnetic which isn't bad and compared to the others is easily their best album since 1991. My playlist would therefore be:
    2. "The End of the Line"
    5. "All Nightmare Long"
    6. "Cyanide"
    7. "The Unforgiven III"
    8. "The Judas Kiss"
    10. "My Apocalypse"

I think St. Anger had a few really good bits of songs but no one song on it was brilliant from start to finish.

I think a much better thread would be trying to put together a Metallica playlist from 1983 - 1991. A playlist from 1992 - 2009 is all about finding the least bad songs rather than painful deliberations over which classic song to leave out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

As opposite...this would be too easy for me, based on personal tastes, cause I love Load and I do like Reload.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

1. "Ain't My Bitch"
    2. "Until It Sleeps"
    3. "Hero of the Day"
    4. "Bleeding Me"
    5. "Wasting My Hate"
    6. "The Outlaw Torn"
    7. "Fuel"
    8. "Fixxxer"

Honourable Mention

10. "I Disappear"

sadly, i was stretching to get 10 songs. nothing from stink anger as its an abortion of an album, and s&r was the only thing i could tolerate off DM. "disappear" is a no brainer, as i think (possibly in the minority) thats its a cracker of a tune, and pisses on anything from st anger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

By looking at their recent live set lists maybe they feel the same way too :pac:

That's not a bad one 120_Minutes, only one I'd take out would be Fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

No. 1 - Erm em emmmmmm

I'll have to get back to you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Death Magnetic
    2. "The End of the Line"
    5. "All Nightmare Long"
    6. "Cyanide"
    7. "The Unforgiven III"
    8. "The Judas Kiss"
    10. "My Apocalypse"

Whilst its by no means a classic Metallica album,its stands well above the preceeding 3 IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

The problem with Metallica's 95-97 releases were, they were both horrible albums.
    Given the songs recorded and released around that time period, they could have easily made one great album and one bad album in load and reload, as both of them do have some good songs in there. They weren't both complete abortions for albums.

But they threw in some killer but mostly filler in both albums, making them both suck overall. But take the killer from both albums and you will make a good album out of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

in no particular order, just ten songs

1) Mama said
    2) The Outlaw Torn
    3) Cure
    4) low mans lyric
    5) Fixxer
    6)judas kiss
    7)all nightmare long
    8)unforgien 3
    9)king nothing
    10) im gona leave this blank on the assumption that there is one decent song on st. anger, I just can't bring myself to listen to it enough to find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

in no particular order, just ten songs

1) Mama said
    2) The Outlaw Torn
    3) Cure
    4) low mans lyric
    5) Fixxer
    6)judas kiss
    7)all nightmare long
    8)unforgien 3
    9)king nothing
    10) im gona leave this blank on the assumption that there is one decent song on st. anger, I just can't bring myself to listen to it enough to find it.
    Would have gone with pretty much the same selection. St Anger really is an absolute abomination of an album.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Meh, the band are going for 27 years you hardly expect them to make the same music over that long period.

The exact same discussion can be had with AC/DC and Rolling Stones.

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    The problem with Metallica's 95-97 releases were, they were both horrible albums.
    Given the songs recorded and released around that time period, they could have easily made one great album and one bad album in load and reload, as both of them do have some good songs in there. They weren't both complete abortions for albums.

But they threw in some killer but mostly filler in both albums, making them both suck overall. But take the killer from both albums and you will make a good album out of it.
    I struggle to find anything positive in Load and Reload so out of curiosity, where are these killer tracks on those albums?

malice_ wrote: »
    I struggle to find anything positive in Load and Reload so out of curiosity, where are these killer tracks on those albums?

Load:
    Ain't My Bitch
    King Nothing
    Hero Of The Day
    Bleeding Me
    Wasting My Hate

Reload:
    Fuel
    Better Than You
    Prince Charming
    Attitide
    Fixxxer

Ok so Hero, and Bleeding are a bit on the soft side, but Metallica fell into ballad territory back in 1988, so this is one we can't pin the blame on Bob Rock for. But i honestly think that the above would actually make a decent album. Would it be a masterpiece on Puppets level, no, of course not, they've yet to do that though, and probably aren't likely to do so either.

But it would be a lot better than the two seperate albums that came out at that time.

malice_ wrote: »

at the time there wasnt. but with hindsight they werent the crap we thought they were. but i do remember being impressed more by the mid tempo tunes (hero, outlaw, thorn) that anything else. and after sitting through the "meh-fest" of reload to be rewarded by the curveball that is "fixxer"...well i dont know about anyone else, but i'd never heard them try a song like that before.

i'd go so far as saying that hero, until it sleeps, fixxer and i disappear were metallicas best 90's songs. hell even kirk thinks the hero solo is his best.

pointless trivia: load was the first metallica album kirk played rhythm on. :p

hell even kirk thinks the hero solo is his best.

Funny you mention this. I remember hearing that song (didn't get the album when it came out, but this was the second single if i recall correctly), and thinking "so basic, yet still so powerful at the same time"

Bizarre video though.
    pointless trivia: load was the first metallica album kirk played rhythm on. :p

Wasn't actually aware of this. Metallirhythm sounds like Metallirhythm to me. ;)

Wasn't actually aware of this. Metallirhythm sounds like Metallirhythm to me. ;)

thats cos up to then it had been all james! kirk didnt play a single note on nothing else matters :D

• Advertisement

thats cos up to then it had been all james! kirk didnt play a single note on nothing else matters :D

My point was, it didn't sound any diff on Load & Reload ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Funny you mention this. I remember hearing that song (didn't get the album when it came out, but this was the second single if i recall correctly), and thinking "so basic, yet still so powerful at the same time"

Bizarre video though.

That the one with the prostitute in it?

no you're thinking of turn the page.

the hero video was like somebody channel surfing, except metallica were on every channel, in various guises

That video also featured a girl coming over and laying the guy watching the TV.
    Dunno if she was meant to be his girlfriend or a prostitute though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Creeping-Death

No particular order then

Ain't My Bitch
    Fuel
    Better Than You
    Bleeding Me
    Low Man's Lyric
    Hero Of The Day
    All Nightmare Long
    Cyanide
    I Disappear

St Anger just failed as an album. Suppose No Leaf Clover and -Human are worth a mention too, they weren't so bad..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Ain't my bitch
    2X4
    King nothing
    Hero of the day
    Wasting my hate
    The memory remains
    Bad seed
    Prince charming
    Attitude
    I disappear
    Frantic