Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler: everything looks fine but doesn't work

Options
  • 21-04-2009 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,
    Yesterday my house heating system decided to go for summer holiday... I'm in Park
    Everything looks fine, but doesn't want to start:
    - controller close to house entrance and boiler is up and running
    - boiler has 1.3 bars, green light
    - there is hot water, so immersion works
    - when moving thermostat on 1st floor (close to bathroom), I hear 'click' when reaching current temperature (and going above or below)

Boiler doesn't start with time scheduling on controller at the house entrance and with manual +1 hour button.

I've tried several things:
    - add more pressure to the boiler with black valve on the 1st floor, now it's 1.3 bar
    - move switch on black box hidden behind the immersion on 1st floor close to bathroom
    - change thermostat to 30 degrees
    - replace the fuse (that of course didn't help, because electricity was there)

Today I'm going to reset thermostat in the boiler (found quick guide on this forum)
    Have read everything (I think) about boilers yesterday on the forum, but still the same problem
    Have read also user guide for boiler, couldn't find anything.
    http://www.glow-worm.co.uk/products/pdf/discontinued/boilers/SXI_range.pdf
    I have Glow Work 18xi

Could someone help, please? any ideas what could I do more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Just guessing here but it could be your igniter unit on the boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

I am in the park with the same boiler and I had similar problems in the past and posted here about the little black (or blue) box in the hot press with the switch on the back -- the actuator.

Lately, I have to move that switch back and forth every time to get the hot water flowing to the radiators. I wonder if the actuator needs replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭caji

It might be the timer. I had a similar problem before Christmas. The boiler started up and then cut off. Bord Gais came out and sorted it out within a day. They said it's a common problem in the estate with the boilers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 zarebski

Thanks Guys for advises!
    I've just managed to press the thermostat reset button inside the boiler and it didn't help.
    Have just reported boiler fault (or other part, actuator, etc.) to BordGais, hopefully they can help, because Thursday can be rainy and cold...

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

zarebski wrote: »
    Thanks Guys for advises!
    I've just managed to press the thermostat reset button inside the boiler and it didn't help.
    Have just reported boiler fault (or other part, actuator, etc.) to BordGais, hopefully they can help, because Thursday can be rainy and cold...

I got stuck paying for a Bord Gais visit when it turned out the boiler was fine, it was just this actuator problem in the hot press (which has nothing to do with the gas). The technician diagnosed the problem, but said there was nothing wrong with the boiler/gas itself.

I would imagine the timer is also not their concern. Our timer died on us in a separate incident, and we were able to replace it oursleves. Got a replacement at an electrical supply shop in Blackrock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 zarebski

Hi,
    Problem solved!
    BordGais came (appointment was between 2pm and 6pm, technician came at 12 :-)) ) and fixed it. Boiler was fine, the problem was with timer! It seems, they've just extend range of chargeable services, because guy had spare timer (different model than previous) and replaced it.
    90 euro service + 53 timer

and it's warm now, nice.......

Thanks a million for all your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭caji

Thats great!

Advertisement