Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel

Options
  • 21-04-2009 12:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

What with the nice weather we've been having lately i wouldnt be surprised if the macks make an early appearance this year..has anybody been out or heard of any being caught?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gversey

Yeah, i heard there were a few stragglers in and around wicklow harbour and off the pier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Hopefully we'll get a few..last year was dismal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Degsy wrote: »
    Hopefully we'll get a few..last year was dismal.

They were very late last year, I think it was October when they really came ashore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Caught 4 off Bray today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Caught 4 off Bray today.

Boat or shore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Degsy wrote: »
    Boat or shore?

Boat. About 1Km offshore towards the Bray outfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

hoping they are about too, gonna take a run down to the pier in rathmullan in Donegal on wednesday evening and see if there's a bite :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing today, St. John's Point in Donegal can be really good, also Creevy Pier and Ards pier at the friary... If you dont get any mackerel, you can get pollock.. thats if your not fussy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Last year Dismal ? not down cork i went out a few evenings last summer and we caught hundreds :D there are a few early stragglers around now alright

never knew Ards was a good fishing spot, much check it out soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

Ards is good for mackerel and smaller sized sea trout if you fish from the pier at the friary on an incoming tide. The forest park has the name of been good for sea trout if you fish down the right hand side of the first beach at the car park (Im told, but have never seen anyone there). Doe Castle also good for sea trout as is Kilahoey beach at Dunfanaghy, but you need a liecense

well just back from Rathmullan pier, first cast of the season and caught me a wee mackerel. caught four young ones over all, no one else caught a thing so happy enough. too bad they are too small for a nice fish supper haha

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭flounder

catching plenty mackerel and herring from rock marks in the south east
    there after coming in really early this year:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Was checking out the Volvo Ocean Race boats in Galway docks yesterday and a shoal of mackerel started kicking up a fuss around the boats! Got my rod and headed out to Nimmo's Pier - caught 2 for supper. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

gary82 wrote: »
    Was checking out the Volvo Ocean Race boats in Galway docks yesterday and a shoal of mackerel started kicking up a fuss around the boats! Got my rod and headed out to Nimmo's Pier - caught 2 for supper. :cool:
    Is Nimmo's a nice place to fish off? I plan on catching some mackerel this year, I didn't fish for them at all last year.

Yeah it's really good now this time of year. Usually 1 or two fishing on high tide. But when the shoals start coming in the place will get very busy. The good thing is they tend to run along the pier wall when there's a lot of mackerel so loads of room along the stretch of it.

Nothing catching there today btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭cuculainn

What do you use to catch mackeral,,,just getting back into fishing but never fished for mackeral...Is it just lures?

Yeah they're not fussy! I just picked up a rig something like this;

silvershrimps.jpg

Also used feathers before with good success. They'll tell you in the shop. Have a two ounce weight on the end of the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Gone Fishin

We got 4 in the boat on Sunday just off the Red Lighthouse on the Great south wall in Dublin. Just feathers required for Mackerel. They day before we got a lovely spur dog, that was intent on nailing one of us with its spine when we got him into the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭cuculainn

gary82 wrote: »
    Yeah they're not fussy! I just picked up a rig something like this;

silvershrimps.jpg

Also used feathers before with good success. They'll tell you in the shop. Have a two ounce weight on the end of the line.

Thanks for that....Is it worth while fishing off Nimmos yet or is it too early for the mackeral....( I know a previous post said they caught a few already)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Was out at Bulloch Harbour over the weekend in a boat at low tide.

Nothing catching at all bar two tiny codling.

- Would it be fair to say its August / September when the shoals come in and would low or high tide be the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Google is indeed my friend
    SEASON
    In the south west of England and Wales the first fish show as singles during late April. Mackerel start to shoal together during late May to mid June and move close inshore from June to September before the first of the autumnal gales start to break up the shoals and disperse the fish. Odd fish will still be taken from the shore right through until late November in milder years.

Good article here on season and methods for any inexperienced saltwater anglers like myself.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I spent 2 hours yesterday evening, 8 - 10pm on the pier in Clogherhead and caught nothing. Mind you one mack did chase my feathers but didn't take. There were a few others there too but I didn't see anyone catch anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

down by fountainstown yesterday. mackerel around my ankles. loads of em.

snagged 2 for the pot. managed a 4lb pollack on dead light tackle too. nearly pulled me in!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 pidgion

hi guys just wondering i am in land and want to fish for mack. but its a long drive for me so really want to know if and when there are a few mack in i usually go to youghal in the hope that they are in but more often miss than hit so any info or help much obliged (i am in tipp):confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Ockham

Been out on Nimmos pier the last few evenings and havent got a sausage. Very frustrating. Seems they prefer Cork this time of year.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 TheMorningLine

Hello all,

I'm from Glasnevin. I like to fish in Wexford and just cannot catch any Mackerel no matter what I do.

What am i doing wrong?

Anthony

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Go out in a boat now, or if fishing from the shore - wait a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 pidgion

hi morningline i fished wexford myself never found it great for mackeral i dont think its a lot got to do with you ( no offence to wexford people ) i think its just a difficult to catch them there why dont you try bray ?

• Advertisement

Ockham wrote: »
    Been out on Nimmos pier the last few evenings and havent got a sausage. Very frustrating. Seems they prefer Cork this time of year.:mad:

Yeah nothing at Nimmos on high tide yesterday evening either...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement