Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

ive been down at rathmullan pier the last two evenings at high tide and everyone is catching mackerel by the bucket load :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

nice, i'll be up there saturday... hope they hang around until then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

Muckross pier also, makerel ahoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭crowsnightmare

I have a couple under the grill now! they were caught off southeast coast a couple of hours ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

My son caught one in Howth yesterday. One from from the end of the fishing line to the plate. Yummy !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

We were out in the boat today and we caught 160+ at the back of Bray head. Most were really big too. Great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

We were out in the boat today and we caught 160+ at the back of Bray head. Most were really big too. Great craic.

holy feck, ye must have had some job gutting them after :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

jArgHA wrote: »
    holy feck, ye must have had some job gutting them after :)

We kept about forty each and the rest are for bait. So we gutted about eighty, it wasn't to bad with two of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭callo

just wondering if any mackeral being caught at lighthouse pigeonhouse rd

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

Took 17 Mackerel on the boat just in front of the West Pier beside Seapoint last night.
    weather conditions, were calm on that side, water was calmer, warmer and there. So the fishing was good.
    i saw 4 diffeent boats coming form the Dalkey direction fishing for Mackerel,where the conditions were the opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 missilesting

i was out of howth yesterday with a friend on his boat off the back of irelands eye and we hit into the macks quite close to the islands cliff face we filled a fish box in about 3 hours so the macks are back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i was out of howth yesterday with a friend on his boat off the back of irelands eye and we hit into the macks quite close to the islands cliff face we filled a fish box in about 3 hours so the macks are back

really?

the skipper of the boat we use went out from malahide to irelands eye last sunday and only caught 6 pollock, we have being dying to get out but we keep getting news of no mackeral

• Registered Users Posts: 26 missilesting

yep me mate said the same it was my first time out on boat with him he said last week in the same place all he caught was small pollock and tuesday was the first big haul of macks he had seen this year as i said a fish box full in about 3 hours it was great fun

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

If anybody has a boat i wouldnt mind heading out for a bit of mackie bashing round dublin..i'll pay my way obviously and have my own gear etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

any off the rocks in the hook or slade

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Diageio_Man

Caught about 140 yesterday just off the 40 foot and bullock harbour on a boat in 2 hours. we were literally putting our lines in for 6 seconds and pulling in 6 fish each time on coloured feathers. Great craic. Also caught alot of small whiting

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭EastTyrone

what about killybegs and up that direction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i was fishing off the rocks in slade this eve no fish that i seen.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Anybody been up around Clogherhead lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 pidgion

well guys nothing in youghal there last night 23/ no a sign of one plenty of sprats so dont bother with there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Went back to the Old Head of Kinsale yesterday evening and caught another 15 mackers in about an hour and a half :) When I gutted them I noticed many had eggs / milt inside. Some of them were monster mackerel (very big).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Ockham

Anyone know if Barna pier is any good for Macks? Nimmos piers turned into a zoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jasonh

What time of day is the best to get the mackeral?

Is it 1 hour before high tide?

J

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Navanboyo

Hi, new to this and thought I would add the following.

Was in Clogherhead yesterday between 11.30am and 2.30pm, high tide was at 1pm.

About 12 people fishing off the pier and not much doing compared to years ago when I used to visit regularly.

Saw 5 Macks caught, 2 on feathers and 3 on a float fished strip of Mack. One of these float fished Macks was caught right at the entrance to the pier whilst the rest of the poeople fishing were at the end of the pier.

Spoke to a few heads and they reckoned that so far this year the Macks were scarce enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

caught some macks out in howth over the last few days, but more pollock.

got one last night, one the night before and two on sunday. all from the pier

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kevvv

Táck wrote: »
    caught some macks out in howth over the last few days, but more pollock.

got one last night, one the night before and two on sunday. all from the pier
    Do you mind me asking which side of the pier and with what techniques. i.e off the bottom or feathers ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

this is my first season fishing properly so i cant really delve into fishing termonology but i'll try explain it best i can!

we were fishing off the pier with the lighthouse, that furthest one. and down on the rocks. both sides seem to work and we've been out at 8 and left around 11. usually there is a window of 30-45mins when we seem to get a few and then the odd stragler here and there!

we've been using 2/3oz weights and normal feathers. available in that shop Ann's for €2.50 a pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭max_power

Anyone catching any around Dalkey?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Flossy Flossy

How long will there be mackerel around for ? I have a friend coming over in two weeks and I think it would be really nice to take them out on a boat.

Does anyone know where is cheap to rent boats out in the Dunlaoire area ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭max_power

How long will there be mackerel around for ? I have a friend coming over in two weeks and I think it would be really nice to take them out on a boat.

Does anyone know where is cheap to rent boats out in the Dunlaoire area ?

Bulloch and Coliemore harbour both rent boats, pretty cheap think it's around a tenner an hour.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement