Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kevvv

Táck wrote: »
    still macks in howth lads, dont think anyone read or believes me. more pollock though in fairness.

while i have your attention, we were out there wednesday and we caught this fish that was about 9/10 inches long. more like a small snake then a fish. went limp as soon as it came in. about 3cm in diameter. what was it? looked like an eel. hardly much eel out howth pier??
    More than likely a greater sand eel
    http://www.flora.org.gg/Sandeels.jpg

OR

A launce
    http://www.heatons-of-tisbury.co.uk/images/fish2/kaunce.jpg

Believe it or not there are plently of eels around including some surprisingly big conger ... Also wherebouts in howth are you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭D Audio Tripper

Kevvv wrote: »
    More than likely a greater sand eel
    http://www.flora.org.gg/Sandeels.jpg

That's the one there I reckon, I was out with him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

yeah the first one it was. we were off the pier

That's the one there I reckon, I was out with him!
    There great bait should have kept it :p ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Believe it or not there are plently of eels around including some surprisingly big conger ... Also wherebouts in howth are you :rolleyes:

No lie.
    I saw a conger about 5 foot long being caught off th erocks beside the pier.Some bloke had a mackerel head on a handline and left it there and forgot about it.When he went to pull it in,this conger appeared from just underneath where he was standing and a tug of war ensued with two of his friends trying to grab the fish with thier bare hands.
    they eventually got it on the rocks wherupon it snapped the line and slunk off,i was delighted that it got away,there was talk of stabbing it repeatedly and cutting its head off etc eventhough there was no need to kill it as conger tastes dire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭EastTyrone

i was up at creevt pier today in donegal, there was me my brother and two other boys we caught four mackeral between up but there was a shoal of dolphins about so they where stoping the fishing getting in. A lot of pollack about caught about 7 pollack in half an hour and we say one eating frying that was easily 10 pound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

any one in slade lately

EastTyrone wrote: »
    i was up at creevt pier today in donegal, there was me my brother and two other boys we caught four mackeral between up but there was a shoal of dolphins about so they where stoping the fishing getting in. A lot of pollack about caught about 7 pollack in half an hour and we say one eating frying that was easily 10 pound
    10 lb pollock of shore ? no offence but il believe when i see it . Considering the irish record Pollock weighed 12 lb and was caught from a boat its very hard to believe that you caught a 10 lb of a pier :eek: . 6 lb would be a nice size pollock of shore so maybe it was closer to that and you just over estimated ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Has anyone been up around Clogherhead lately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 sickofcats

Clogherhead from what I,ve heard locally has fished poorly these last few yrs since the restoration / dredging around the pier....

To answer a previous Question re Greenore its been running hot / cold over the last 2 weeks .... 1 Angler ( I,ll use that term lightly) bagged 58 for a few hrs fishing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Ockham

Does anyone know which spots in cork are giving up the macks at the moment.Has anyone fished church bay recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭padolicious

Any mackerel in the courtown area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

will some one go fishing for feck sake !

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Anyone been out on Nimmos lately? was out a few weeks ago but no joy........Have the macks come in yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Ockham

Was on nimmos recently and they were about but not being caught in any great number. 1s and 2s every now and again.Or if ur me zip, a crack off and home for a sulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

10 lb pollock of shore ? no offence but il believe when i see it . Considering the irish record Pollock weighed 12 lb and was caught from a boat its very hard to believe that you caught a 10 lb of a pier :eek: . 6 lb would be a nice size pollock of shore so maybe it was closer to that and you just over estimated ;)

well that is a dead lie. the record stands just shy of 20. caught out of ballycotton.
    12lb is the specimen size.

and he didnt say he caught it. he typo'd saying he saw it swimming around eating fry

so a ten pounder would be pretty special from teh shore but far from impossible. ive had some that mighta made 8.

mawk wrote: »
    well that is a dead lie. the record stands just shy of 20. caught out of ballycotton.
    12lb is the specimen size.

and he didnt say he caught it. he typo'd saying he saw it swimming around eating fry

so a ten pounder would be pretty special from teh shore but far from impossible. ive had some that mighta made 8.
    Must have read it wrong so :rolleyes: but i never said it was impossible and as for the pollock caught from ballycotton, was it caught from a boat, the harbour or one the rock marks behind the village ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 micheyduff

Heading out pier fishing for macs this weekend going to the east coast,any hot spots?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gversey

micheyduff wrote: »
    Heading out pier fishing for macs this weekend going to the east coast,any hot spots?

Dun Loaghaire or Dalkey with feathers for Mackerel over this side..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 glacoman

Was out in Howth Yeterday with my Cus and Uncle and caught 2 Macks and pollack but only done so when changed to Red Feathers ( think they're likin the red feathers folks )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 midletonaikido

was down in ballycotton in east cork the other day, I might as well have bought some fish in the shop....terribly depressing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

....terribly depressing...

Was in Renville (Galway) the other day. On fourth or fifth cast speedboat comes and steals my mackeral feathers... and all my fishing line. :( Great evenings fishing altogether, I had to pack up and go home :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

Out this afternoon about 1km from Rush Harbour. We caught over 50 mack's and some nice big ones. A few great battles on the reel. Had 5 large ones on the rigs at one stage. Was a great battle. Let's hope they are here to stay for a bit.

Heading again in the morning so hopefully a few more in the offing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

a few macks and plenty of pollack by the island crematorium.

(and 2 5lb bass to the lucky bollix next to me.. couldnt believe it..)

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

one this week, just the one :rolleyes: off Carrowmore Pier outside Clarinbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

Balfey1972 wrote: »
    Out this afternoon about 1km from Rush Harbour. We caught over 50 mack's and some nice big ones. A few great battles on the reel. Had 5 large ones on the rigs at one stage. Was a great battle. Let's hope they are here to stay for a bit.

Heading again in the morning so hopefully a few more in the offing.

Does this mean I should expect Mackerel around Skerries around this time?

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

Mark#1 wrote: »
    Does this mean I should expect Mackerel around Skerries around this time?

Mark

Hi Mark,

You should be getting them. We were getting them off rush north towards loughshinney.

Derek.

Spent 2 hours on the north beach & the pier on Friday night and caught nothing. In fairness we were fishing on the ebb - left it too late to catch the flood, so not surprised with no fish. Might get out tomorrow night.

I hate fishing from Skerries pier at high tide in the summer - it gets too crowded and I'm not into that kind of fishing. The sooner my numbers come up and I can get myself a boat the better . . . :rolleyes:

Mark

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Spent 3 hours on Saturday 5 - 8pm on the back of the pier in Port Oriel, Clogherhead - drew a blank and didn't see anyone else catch anything either. Spoke to a couple of people float fishing inside the harbour and they had nothing either. Plenty of spratts around and plenty of gull activity about 300 yards out, but no macks.

Just thought I'd add this picture of two chaps fishing in the harbour - it's not of a catch so didn't put it in the sticky.

E4DEE183EAC042539FFBF83132133545-500.jpg

• Advertisement

Great pic!

On Skerries pier on a night like that you'd see maybe 5 or 6 more guys jostling for a spot in the same space shown in your pic . . .

Spoke with a mate this evening who says he's been catching mackerel regularly from a boat within 1km of shore for a few of weeks now.

Hope to get out tomorrow night - tide is in at 11 or so.

Mark

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement