Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grazing for pony

Options
  • 21-04-2009 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Does anyone know where I might get grazing for a pony in the South Dublin / Wicklow area?
    Also, how much land would be required and what is the going rate?

Thanks
    G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

I don't know where you would get grazing in those area's or the going rate.
    In terms of how much land you would need for a pony (this is just a guess because we have a bit more land so we have a lot of grass to work with).

For starters ponies / horses generally need companion(s), so for 2 ponies you would need 3 to 4 acres, and you should be able to section it off and leave sections off to rest for 2 weeks or so, you also need to have a fresh supply of water in each section, and secure fencing.

There are many other factors that you need to watch for too, so you need to be around daily to check up on your animals. I cannot think of everything, but for starters: colic (and you really need to catch this early or they will die), pony breaking out of the section or into another field and causing themselves distress or hurting themselves trying to get back in, cuts / injuries, the list is endless.

Have you also thought about the winter and shelter & feeding for them? You will need to be out to them twice a day to feed them hay or hayledge. Most ponies have thick coats and can be out during the winter with a turnout rug. But they would need shelter, we like to bring ours in, as it gets milder we keep them in at night and out during the day.

Hope this is a bit for you to start with, I'm sure there is lots more to add to the list.

Advertisement