Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTÉ Player Beta

• 21-04-2009 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Flash base player from RTÉ. Not sure if they are making their american imports available.

www.rte.ie/player

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

looks great at first glance, no realplayer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The only non Irish programmes I can find are Top Gear, Eastenders and Home & Away. I am sure this will improve over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

This is a massive improvement over their current setup. In the FAQ, they even mention expanding it to other platforms like the PS3 and the iPhone! Maybe RTE are starting to get up to speed with this internet thing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Nice one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

About 5 mb per min so be careful!

Works in Opera (shocked)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Very cool I have to say. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Looks very good, actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Finally, something worth saying "well done" to Rté for.

I didnt watch it first time round, so I'll be giving 'single handed 3' a glance when I get back tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

G'wan RTE!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Elmo wrote: »
    Flash base player from RTÉ. Not sure if they are making their american imports available.

www.rte.ie/player

thanks elmo for the link,just done a quick check of it and added it to my favourites.really makes a change not to get a smug message saying this service is not available in your country(a message we in south of Ireland get far too often)considering it is in beta its awesome!

I know others can be got if you find a proxy that can be trusted(is there one!:))

I also think the RTE website is up there with the best!

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Almost afraid to say it...

...but it does look great!

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Wonder if they'll make programs from years ago available like Channel 4's On Demand service.

Oh to watch Zig and Zag again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Impressive stuff. Compared to the pure evil that is realplayer. As mentioned above, converting the archives and making them available would be brilliant. Oh to see the blizzard of odd again.

Halls pictorial weekly, Hands, Bosco, Wanderly Wagon, The End, Fortycoats...

Bring it on.

Will radio programmes be made available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

very impressed! :cool:

Halls pictorial weekly, Hands, Bosco, Wanderly Wagon, The End, Fortycoats...

Bring it on.

I want my childhood back.... NOW!! Come on RTE. Don't give us a superb looking player and not put archived programs into it. You're so close to be completely amazing.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Will radio programmes be made available?

Most radio stations have websites though that have live streams and podcasts.

It would be handy to have everything in the one place but I think if RTE were looking at it they'd already see that there are already online services available to get podcasts and live streams from radio stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

This is good - nice :):):)
    Cannot wait to see all the programs come in.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Most radio stations have websites though that have live streams and podcasts.

It would be handy to have everything in the one place but I think if RTE were looking at it they'd already see that there are already online services available to get podcasts and live streams from radio stations.

As you say it would be nice to have it all in one place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Grey's Anatomy is available. Maybe they will make 24 available :)

Grey's Anatomy is available. Maybe they will make 24 available :)

Perhaps they will but I've been watching it on Sky. I be way ahead of RTE. Wonder if Lost will be made available.

So much stuff they could add. Just a matter of if and when.

Perhaps they will but I've been watching it on Sky. I be way ahead of RTE. Wonder if Lost will be made available.

So much stuff they could add. Just a matter of if and when.

I have just started Hour 3. Good Ep. But it would be handy to have it on RTÉ Player, due to its late time slot.

I have just started Hour 3. Good Ep. But it would be handy to have it on RTÉ Player, due to its late time slot.

It seems to be on quite late alright. Maybe e-mail them and ask them about future programs being added to the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Wow! RTE done good. :eek:

They also have a 24 hour news service on it. Very impressed with RTE on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

fair play to rté

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I like, but RTÉ-made programmes (the useless stuff like Capital D, News, Questions and Answers, Late Late) used to be permanently available, everything else was 21 days. Now there's a blanket 7 days or 21 days by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Corkette

Very impressed with RTE on this one. Making content available online is fantastic!

Just wondering - Will it be possible to turn on subtitles for shows? As it is on BBC iPlayer etc. This would make a great story even better!

Corkette wrote: »
    Very impressed with RTE on this one. Making content available online is fantastic!

Just wondering - Will it be possible to turn on subtitles for shows? As it is on BBC iPlayer etc. This would make a great story even better!

Excellent point. Might give them a little e-mail and see what the story is.

• Advertisement

It's only their beta version and not fully rolled out. Relax.

Waay ahead of you. Will post if I get any response. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I hope they start editing their stuff better. Questions and Answers has over 3 minutes of black space where the ad break is. (39:30-42:47)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

The news reports have an expiry time just like the other shows, it'd be nice if they stayed up forever so that there's no need for RealPlayer whatsoever. I mean, what's the point in them keeping two different copies?

Very quick response! Here's what i got:

Dear _

Thanks for contacting RTÉ player with your query.

The RTÉ player is committed to making its service as accessible as possible, to include people with visual, hearing, cognitive or motor impairments. The current version is a beta service, and is not access compliant to all communities.

RTÉ Player provides full support for keyboard navigation allowing all elements of RTÉ Player to be accessible without a mouse.

The technologies necessary to implement additional accessibility functions will be reviewed in the context of future developments that may be made to the service.

For more details on RTÉ’s Access Services as outlined in the RTÉ Corporate Responsibility Report 2008 http://www.rte.ie/about/pdfs/rtecorporateresponsibility2008_Eng.pdf

Best wishes,

The RTÉ player Team

www.rte.ie/player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Says I am not in Ireland so I can't watch. When did Dublin secede?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Hobbes wrote: »
    Are you in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Hobbes wrote: »

Apparently around the same time that Kerry did. I'm getting the same message

Corkette wrote: »
    Very quick response! Here's what i got:

Dear _

Thanks for contacting RTÉ player with your query.

The RTÉ player is committed to making its service as accessible as possible, to include people with visual, hearing, cognitive or motor impairments. The current version is a beta service, and is not access compliant to all communities.

RTÉ Player provides full support for keyboard navigation allowing all elements of RTÉ Player to be accessible without a mouse.

The technologies necessary to implement additional accessibility functions will be reviewed in the context of future developments that may be made to the service.

For more details on RTÉ’s Access Services as outlined in the RTÉ Corporate Responsibility Report 2008 http://www.rte.ie/about/pdfs/rtecorporateresponsibility2008_Eng.pdf

Best wishes,

The RTÉ player Team

www.rte.ie/player

Good stuff. At least they're working on it. Good on ya RTE.

Doesn't really feel right complimenting RTE like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Home and Away on demand?? I' ****ing sold.

I'm sure this is a TV licensing thing though. Now there's no getting around not having to pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

el dude wrote: »
    Home and Away on demand?? I' ****ing sold.

I'm sure this is a TV licensing thing though. Now there's no getting around not having to pay for it.

What do you mean?

Slightly OT - apparently the website doesn't receive any of the TV licence money (as I was told by RTÉ last year) - wonder has this changed or did they pull the player out of their arse?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    What do you mean?

Before, could you not get "around" not paying for the licence by only using a PC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

We're sorry but RTÉ player is currently only available to viewers in Ireland. You can still continue to access a selection of RTÉ programmes on www.rte.ie

Thank you for your interest in RTÉ player and we will keep you updated on future developments.
    :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    The only non Irish programmes I can find are Top Gear, Eastenders and Home & Away. I am sure this will improve over time.

They have Grey's Anatomy up on the site now, three episodes infact

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    What do you mean?

Slightly OT - apparently the website doesn't receive any of the TV licence money (as I was told by RTÉ last year) - wonder has this changed or did they pull the player out of their arse?

RTÉ were not allowed to invest public funds into their internet site, up until last year. This rule has since changed and they have been allowed fund some of the website with the license fee, I wouldn't say it amount to very much, but we will just have to wait and see, also any Irish shows provided by RTÉ.ie are funded by the license fee.

A TV license is not required for a computer or monitor, unless you have a card installed which receives broadcasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I'm very surprised to see BBC content on their website, I didn't think the BBC would allow it. The fact that Grey's Anatomy is on the player is a good sign that other American TV shows could come. Very nice indeed RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Now, if only RTE made some shows worth watching this would be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Dman001 wrote: »
    I'm very surprised to see BBC content on their website, I didn't think the BBC would allow it. The fact that Grey's Anatomy is on the player is a good sign that other American TV shows could come. Very nice indeed RTE.
    They are old episodes of Top Gear (over 2 years) which RTE sometimes show as filler on Saturdays. I'm pretty sure once they pay the BBC for it and only people in Ireland have access to it then the Beeb won't care.

KerranJast wrote: »
    They are old episodes of Top Gear (over 2 years) which RTE sometimes show as filler on Saturdays. I'm pretty sure once they pay the BBC for it and only people in Ireland have access to it then the Beeb won't care.

Probably right in saying as long as the beeb get paid, they don't care, but it isn't just out-of-date product, this week's Eastenders is on it too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Probably right in saying as long as the beeb get paid, they don't care, but it isn't just out-of-date product, this week's Eastenders is on it too...
    RTE pay for that too. Once only Irish people are watching it (and you assume we all pay our TV license) then thats all kosher. There's nothing to stop them putting Lost and all the rest up too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement