Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sacked junior ministers to get golden handshake

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

when there is a cabinet reshuffle I've never heard of these kind of payments before, you got demoted and put up with it. Also, what would happen in the case where there is an election in the next two years and the demoted ministers don't get a place, will they give back part of the golden handshake pro rata??

I wouldn't trust this shower to organise a p**s up in a brewery at this rate - they couldn't manage to work out the logistics of half of the budget promises/threats yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

I find it absolutely disgusting. As someone pointed out, 53k is not a lot of money compared to the mess we are in, but its the principle.

For those who say its a form of redundancy payment, I disagree. It's a demotion. These junior ministerial positions should never have happened in the first place, they contribute very little from what I see. Bertie kept upping the numbers to placate his back benchers.

Even if it was a legitimate redundancy payment, 53k for two years work??

For me this is another example of politicians being out of touch with the general public. Self interest takes precedence over the public interest. And they have the cheek to refer to themselves as public servants.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

zootroid wrote: »
    I find it absolutely disgusting. As someone pointed out, 53k is not a lot of money compared to the mess we are in, but its the principle.

For those who say its a form of redundancy payment, I disagree. It's a demotion. These junior ministerial positions should never have happened in the first place, they contribute very little from what I see. Bertie kept upping the numbers to placate his back benchers.

Even if it was a legitimate redundancy payment, 53k for two years work??

For me this is another example of politicians being out of touch with the general public. Self interest takes precedence over the public interest. And they have the cheek to refer to themselves as public servants.

I agree, I think it is an absolute disgrace that the former Junior Ministers are receiving a payoff.

A Payoff is exactly what it is..... yes their job is being made redundant which entitles them to 2 weeks pay for every year they worked in the job (+1 Week entitlement after 2 years)... not the Thousands of Euro we are hearing about.

I mean, who do they think they are? Beverly Cooper Flynn!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Sorry i need to ask a very silly question. These Junior Minsters are still TDs and earning TD salaries but they're going to lose a significant amount of income because they are being demoted?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Sorry i need to ask a very silly question. These Junior Minsters are still TDs and earning TD salaries but they're going to lose a significant amount of income because they are being demoted?

Yeah, going from something like 140k to 105k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

taconnol wrote: »
    Ah yes, the unpatriotic doom-mongers that should top themselves to make Eire a brighter, more bubbly place.

Belfast - I think you're right about politicians just being the tip of the iceberg:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/300-public-servants-now-earn-euro165000-1715260.html

Job listed on public jobs

http://www.publicjobs.ie/cand/default.asp?hdndest=JOBLISTING&hdnLang=&hdnSource=&hdnmode=VIEW&hdnauth=ADMIN&hdnGUID=

Consultant Orthodontist

Employer: Health Service Executive - West

Salary : From €222,000.00 To €240,000.00

Advertisement