Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photo re-touch

• 21-04-2009 12:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, haven't posted any pics here that I remember, just wanted to get your thoughts on some retouching.

I have attached the original photo, as well as the retouch version that I've done.

Any thoughts / ideas welcome!

The shot was taken with a Canon Powershot G9 - and I can't for the life of me remember what settings I used.

The photo is of my better half!

Retouched in PS

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

A bit smaller images would probably be appreciated.

Nice work on the skin smoothing but retaining the sharpness in the eyes.

Looks a bit wrong around the feet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

hope you don't mind but had a play around myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

CabanSail wrote: »
    A bit smaller images would probably be appreciated.

Nice work on the skin smoothing but retaining the sharpness in the eyes.

Looks a bit wrong around the feet though.

Yeah, I wasn;t wuite sure what to do with the feet, so they didn't get much attention from me at all. Thanks though!

anoble66 wrote: »
    hope you don't mind but had a play around myself.

More than happy to see other people's ideas, half the reason I included the original too!

Nice work, I had a couple of BW versions myself, but stuck with the one I posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

A quick 10 minutes at lunch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Defeat is not acceptable!!!

IMG_0322originalsmall.jpg

• Advertisement

Heinrich - could you attach your file here?? Cant view Photobucket attachments in work! lol

Heinrich - could you attach your file here?? Cant view Photobucket attachments in work! lol

Is this OK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

3 minutes in photoshop doing some magazine style airbrushing

DotOrg wrote: »

I think you should have left the freckles, they are the charm in that photo! The feet are not an advantage.

Lovely freckes and green eyes should never be airbrushed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

first off
    very nice looking model :)

it really all depends what image your after!

are you looking for - the natural look? the freckles etc.
    or
    the airbrushed glossy magazine feel
    or
    the outright Glamour shot!

or a cleaned up image perhaps - something to hang on the wall?

it's a nice shot btw - i like it :)

if i get some time tomorrow may i have a go at processing?
    i tend to enjoy this sometimes more than taking shots!!!
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Here's my quick effort

Get rid of the feet!!!

A good cut out and a subtle background. Keep the original tones they are perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

heres what i came up with (perhaps a bit over processed)
    sorry it's on Photobucket too.
    th_model.jpg

:)

Sorry hadn't been on guys.

Some nice work there. As some have stated, I wasn't really sure what to do with the feet, so just left them in anyway!

Here's another, more glamoury effort from myself attached.

Fionn - I'll tell her you said so, she'll be delighted! Oh, and is there any chance you could attach it here? I'm in work again :(

I wasn't really after any particular look, so glamour / natural / B&W / over-the-top. I tried numerous things myself, and just wanted to see what you guys thought, and what you could come up with to give me a bit of inspiration!

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

just added a neutral toned gradient map and a bit of glow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Ok since everyone else is going for it here is my 2 minutes worth, if you wanna know how it is done i'll guide you through although this is only a VERY rough go.

Ok since everyone else is going for it here is my 2 minutes worth, if you wanna know how it is done i'll guide you through although this is only a VERY rough go.

I like this one, very natural indeed.

What did you do to achieve this? I've had similar results myself, but not quite as nice as yours, hence they're not posted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Thought you would like it. I do this effect on most of my pics hence I have a script going and it takes me less than 2 mns. The reason yours is rough is because of the first point

photoshop
    magnetic lasso to select subject and then inverse, fill with one colour, inverse again and brightened up slightly in curves.

paint shop
    i did one extra and did a little tooth whitening, a tool that is in photoshop, not that she needed it but it looks better, i do this on myself so no insults there
    my script is a sharpening overall and skin smoothing at 57
    red eye removal and voila

It sounds like a lot but it is not, I always run the 2 programs together and it is simple I do my drastic bits in photoshop and I do my cosmetic in paint shop, I would recommend selecting lips also and slightly increasing the saturation to make it look like she has lipstick, you can also do this with eyes to brighten them if you really when to go for a touched look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭al_

Dont normally bother with this sort of thing, but this is a lovely shot, so had a very quick go at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

2nd attempt (better than the last time)... because i've an essay to do and i'm doing my best to procrastinate! i've gotten into a habit of deliberately upping the saturation on eyes and lowering it on everything else because i like the effect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

DotOrg wrote: »

This minus feet = win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 gorilla_image

Hi,

Here's my two cent worth, I went for something a little more subtle. Google "Photoshop Actions" are programs which run in Photoshop and do all the work in literally seconds... this image took about a 90 seconds to edit, incluing opening, closing and saving. I forgot the site where I downloaded them from, but a quick google should track them down.

Advertisement