Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Varnishing

Options
  • 21-04-2009 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

am living in one of the 2-beds and have noticed that the varnish on the upstairs windows (outside) and back door has faded alot over time and is in need of re-doing. was just wondering if anyone has had this done professionally (the upstairs windows would be a challenge to do on the outside!) and was wondering roughly how much it cost and how long it took?

i know there was talk of CBKW getting a quote to get this done for everyone but by the sounds of things it was going to take a few months and id like to get it done sooner if possible. thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Hi elemental,

If you can see it faded then its time to get it sorted before it flakes off completly. I would approach a few local painter/decorators and get them to look at it and give you a quote for the work. Use the usual method.
    1. Get a written no obligations detailed quote.
    2. Ask for references(and do check them).
    3. Ask if they have poof of insurance and a safe pass.
    Remember the best prices quote does not win always. Ask as many questions as possible and ensure you know what they expect from you and what you dont. Sounds serious but there are far too many cowboys out there still and its very easy to pick up a brush and call yourself a painter. No disrespect to the trade intended. Maybe the first port of call would be bradys hardware at old cinema and talk to them for some numbers and references.

Regards
    B

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

There was talk at the Park/Grove AGM of doing a joint thing on this i.e. the apartments/duplexes have to be done so having the same company available to do houses too at the owner's request (and expense but the idea being it should work out cheaper than getting someone in individually). Coldwell Banker were getting quotes in at the time of the AGM so might be worth giving them a ring to see what the latest is on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 wrightao

It was mentioned at the AGM that a number of properties had already carried the varnishing out so It was decided that each individual property or group of properties would look after their respective areas. It was also noted that the painting of the entire development would not be able to take place until the full painting charge was collected. The period of time taken to collect would extend past the prime painting season and additional damage may occur if the varnishing was postponed any further.

In order to assist the members of Charlesland Park and Grove management company, a number of quotes were received from painters for the treatment and varnishing of the windows and doors in Grove and Park. The use of vetted tradesmen will allow residents avail of discounted rates and a quality finish. The numbers and contact details are available in our office if residents wish to avail of their services. For more information please contact CBKW by e mail info@cbkw.ie or by phone 2871908 or just call in at your convenience. There is no obligation on any resident to use these painters although please contact our office for the varnish type to be used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 wrightao

wrightao wrote: »
    It was mentioned at the AGM that a number of properties had already carried the varnishing out so It was decided that each individual property or group of properties would look after their respective areas. The painting of the entire development would not be able to take place until the full painting charge was collected which is outside the service charge. The period of time taken to collect the additional painting cost would extend past the prime painting season and additional damage may occur if the varnishing was postponed any further.

In order to assist the members of Charlesland Park and Grove management company, a number of quotes were requested by the Directors from painters for the treatment and varnishing of the windows and doors in Grove and Park. The external painting and varnishing of Charlesland Grove and Park is not included in the service charge of Charlesland Grove and Park Managment Company. The quotes requested by the Directors will be made available to residents via the CGP newletter.

The use of vetted tradesmen will allow residents avail of discounted rates and a quality finish. The numbers and contact details will be made available in our office if residents wish to avail of their services or through our newsletter. For more information please contact CBKW by e mail info@cbkw.ie or by phone 2871908 or just call in at your convenience. There is no obligation on any resident to use these painters although residents are required to contact our office for the varnish type to be used.

For a full outline of services included in the annual service charge, residents of CGP management company are directed to the breakdown of service charges provided with the annual invoice. The full breakdown was also distributed at the AGM held in Woodlands bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Skelly88

I'm going to give it a go myself this summer, weather permitting. I did the porch a couple of years ago, and it's virtually as good now as it was when I finished. Most important thing if you decide to do it yourself is to remove ALL old varnish or as much as you can at least. This is hard work but it pays off with the result you get. Then I put a couple of coats of stain to restore the original colour followed by three coats of clear outdoor varnish, leaving a gap of a day between each coat. You can unscrew the upstairs windows & paint them at your leisure on your patio, leaving easy access to do the rest of the frame while the window is out........yeah, this sure sounds like hard work!!! All I need now is a good summer!

• Advertisement
Advertisement