Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Runner at Heart

• 21-04-2009 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I've been into fitness for the last couple of years, mixing it up with running, weights, a bit swimming and 5 a side football. But I'm planning to put more of the focus on running. The longest distance I've done is 10km (46:50) and I'd like to increase to 10 miles and a half marathon, with reasonably good times.

So I'm going to concentrate on running and keep up the football once a week. I've been looking at a beginner's plan for half marathon which I'd like to follow right away, then maybe I can try the intermediate plan afterward leading up to the "Run to the Beat" London Half Marathon on 28th September.

All sounds straightforward to me, any advice?
    I'd like to keep doing free weights a couple of days a week, but if I want to get the miles in I think I'll have to let it go, an I don't know what kind of benefit it will have?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Peckham

Your 10k time is good for someone with little specific running training, so you should be able to improve considerably with training.

Would suggest picking out a few interim targets between now and end-September. Six months of pure training can be quite tough going with no racing to excite things!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

Thanks, I've got a 10km race in about 8 weeks so that would come in around the end of my half marathon training, I could just stretch the plan out to around 9 weeks and then do the 13.1 miles. I'll browse this forum I think for tips and strategy. Generally my approach has been a short run during the week and a short and long at the weekend. I've got the Garmin 405 which I love. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Yeah, that's a good 10km time, you should have no problem working towards a marathon as long as you follow a decent programme. I was in more or less the same boat as you back in Jan, my 10km was about the same. I am doing my first marathon in Cork and have been following the Hildalgon Intermediate II Marathon programme. I find it to be really good, it's tough enough but very achievable and rewarding. I'd also recommend going to your local library and reading some 'marathon running' books, I recommend some but I've only read one of them, am sure other people here will help you out :)

Good luck with, you'll fly it once you're determined enough!

Advertisement