Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sacked ministers to get €53,000 'parachute' pay

Options
  • 21-04-2009 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/sacked-ministers-to-get-836453000-parachute-pay-1714339.html
    FIVE junior ministers will be sacked tomorrow and walk away with a "golden parachute" payment worth up to €53,000 each.

The axed ministers will get severance payments for two years to "compensate" them for loss of earnings as their salary drops back to the €100,000 or so of a backbencher

So, why bother sacking them in the first place? As a "signal to the people" ?
    To be seen to be "doing something"?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

peasant wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/sacked-ministers-to-get-836453000-parachute-pay-1714339.html

So, why bother sacking them in the first place? As a "signal to the people" ?
    To be seen to be "doing something"?

They are technically being made redundant, so I don't have that big a problem with these payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As I understand it, five junior minister were made redundant because at least ten junior minister were surplus to requirements anyway :D

So here it is, this "big" money saving gesture ...five of them let go.

And now they're throwing good money after bad with these parachute payments?

This really is getting ridiculous ...junior ministers getting the golden handshake, a cut in pensions that doesn't really apply and the cut in the long time service payments that isn't really a cut either.

So much for the governement savings announced in the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

what do you expect from the corrupt Fianna Fail party?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 feoil

God like!!!, how are those poor ministers going to make it through the xmas this year. I am assuming they'll be paying the income levy at least!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

peasant wrote: »
    As I understand it, five junior minister were made redundant .

Did al the junior ministers not resign? In which case i wouldn't have thought there would eb a payment to any, or if there was all 20 would be eligible (including those who are rehired)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Did al the junior ministers not resign? In which case i wouldn't have thought there would eb a payment to any, or if there was all 20 would be eligible (including those who are rehired)

That's an interesting point. Though they didn't so much resign, as they were told to resign. That's the point they'll make.

Nice golden handshake on the way out the door though, they'll be clambering to be one of the five no doubt.

Actually, does anyone know what will happen to the staff for the five JMs that are going? Are they regular civil servants that will be moved out, or are some of them family members, friends, etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Thread here already about this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055544169

I'm locking this rather than merging it because people shouldn't be accusing entire parties of corruption. Seriously, do not do this. If you want to make accusations start a blog and take the legal risk yourself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement