Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor GPRS Overcharging - unbelievable €1.30 A MINUTE!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

dee1dee2 wrote: »
    i dont understand people replying to posts without reading the other posts properly i am the bill payer and it wasnt me who used the data:mad:

no i read your post correctly.

if the handset is in your name then it is up to you to make sure it is used correctly. Meteor are a business not a babysitter. its up to the individual to make sure that the handset is used responsibly.

you gave it to her to text... not to use the internet. i dont know why your angry at Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 dee1dee2

hello not angry with meteor at all never said i was
    only suggested a txt at 50e instead of 150e a mere suggestion that was all actually i am delighted with meteor have always found them very helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Cabaal wrote: »
    So they should bare internet access be default to suit the people that won't read up on charges and to piss off the majority of people who are aware of charges and use the net as part of the reason why they bought a phone? your kidding me right?

By your logic they should also block all TXT messages by default to stop people subscribing to those premium services :rolleyes:

After all Meteor should protect people from their own foolishness :pac:
    :rolleyes:

Slightly different though,

On UMTS a relatively large amount of data can be downloaded in a short time and be potentially quite expensive.

Data should be a service you request not one you have by default.

What if your phone gets stolen, and the joker downloads 400 megs of data.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    no i read your post correctly.

if the handset is in your name then it is up to you to make sure it is used correctly. Meteor are a business not a babysitter. its up to the individual to make sure that the handset is used responsibly.

you gave it to her to text... not to use the internet. i dont know why your angry at Meteor.
    sorry didnt realise i was in parenting forum

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

i dont understand people replying to posts without reading the other posts properly i am the bill payer and it wasnt me who used the data:mad:

That doesn't matter, you own the phone and you are responsible for looking after it...its not your phone providers fault if you lend it to a friend etc and they run up high bills

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

craichoe wrote: »
    Slightly different though,

On UMTS a relatively large amount of data can be downloaded in a short time and be potentially quite expensive.

Data should be a service you request not one you have by default.

But doing that would piss off more customers then the current system does so it would be a bad idea,

customers educating themselves would be a better move...of course then your dependent on customers actually reading stuff and taking responsibility in life....given its in their interest you'd think customers would do this...right...right?

I guess its easier blame somebody else :D

What if your phone is stolen and somebody runs up 100e worth of calls? :)
    should we also block calls by default ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Personally I think it'd be great if each feature was itemised and I could opt-in to what I wanted - but is this really practical? The same people who are complaining about high bills will be the same ones complaining about how confusing it is to provision all these services.

A happy medium is required - I think this happy medium would be the networks to provide a means of limiting your max bill. This should be opt-in (and not forced like 3 used to do, or might still do).

All in all though, I'm still of the opinion that it's the users fault at the end of the day*

* with the exception of you being mugged, in hospital unconcious for 4 days and someone having stolen your phone in this time running up bills - but then, this is why we have insurance - any why should the network pay?

it is users fault and i never claimed it wasnt my fault just if its not a service that you use its a bit of a suprise how easy it can amount to huge bills if it was a service i wanted i woukd have had a data add on. i already contacted meteor to c could i reach a payment plan and they cut the bill in hallf i never asked then to do that i just asked could i pay half on this bill and half on next bill. i am with meteor 6yrs and have never had any data charges before because its just not somethin i use my phone 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

it is users fault and i never claimed it wasnt my fault just if its not a service that you use its a bit of a suprise how easy it can amount to huge bills if it was a service i wanted i woukd have had a data add on. i already contacted meteor to c could i reach a payment plan and they cut the bill in hallf i never asked then to do that i just asked could i pay half on this bill and half on next bill. i am with meteor 6yrs and have never had any data charges before because its just not somethin i use my phone 4.
    You have asked them to disable data on your account since haven't you?

Random wrote: »
    You have asked them to disable data on your account since haven't you?
    oh god yes haha i only upgraded phone 2 weeks ago and it worked on new phone had it disabled on old phone just never thought of disableing it on new phone and never allowed 4 curious step daughter:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

the three network have a page display when you go online telling you thet from that point you will be charged and how much the data costs are and that they can be very expensive without a data add-on so i dont see how meteor cant do the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

craichoe wrote: »
    call the network and get them to block it. As has been said they could just as easily run up a high call bill
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    the three network have a page display when you go online telling you thet from that point you will be charged and how much the data costs are and that they can be very expensive without a data add-on so i dont see how meteor cant do the same?

Because that page pisses me off. I spent months trying to make them get rid of it because it stopped applications working. Any time they made a request they'd get that page back instead of what they requested. Meteor have the internet price displayed on their website and in their stores, the same as every other price and that should be enough

it should be enough i agree but if its not something u use on regular basis well then chances are u dont check price of it and thats where the problems start.

it should be enough i agree but if its not something u use on regular basis well then chances are u dont check price of it and thats where the problems start.

That's not exactly the case. The problems start when you don't check the price of it but then go ahead and use it anyway ;)

no my problems started when i knew price and someone else used it without permission

no my problems started when i knew price and someone else used it without permission

So the problems start when you hand someone your phone who hasn't checked the price and goes ahead and uses it anyway :)

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    So the problems start when you hand someone your phone who hasn't checked the price and goes ahead and uses it anyway :)
    whatever

whatever

Blame someone else...its easier

Blame someone else...its easier
    ok i will blame u so:P

ok i will blame u so:P

I blame society :P

• Advertisement

I blame society :P

somebody think of the children! :D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

somebody think of the children! :D

The problem _was_ the children....

parsi wrote: »
    The problem _was_ the children....
    haha now finally someone who got the point could be a lot worse good old meteor really came up trumps 4 me,,,,,,,,,,,, now that comment will probaly start a whole new rant about meteor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

its highly irresponsible to subscribe to a service and start using it without even having enough interest to see how much it costs

i think they have been more than fair reducing your bill in half,its more than most companies would have done in similar circumstances

Advertisement