Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News on breaking fixed rate mortgage

Options
  • 21-04-2009 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

hi all,

Their is alot of talk about having a low set fee for breaking fixed rate mortgages... anyone hear anything?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

jetski wrote: »
    hi all,

Their is alot of talk about having a low set fee for breaking fixed rate mortgages... anyone hear anything?

no but keep us posted, I have a stack of legally binding commitments I would like to be bailed out of

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭irishneady

hey
    there was a lot of talk on ray darcy show last week about this. I think they are asking banks to take individual circumstances into consideration. the expense will not be completely abolished however as legislation would need to be introduced.The Consumers’ Association of Ireland and opposition politicians have called for the banking sector to introduce "some leeway" for customers struggling to cut back on their mortgage expenses.

I am keeping my eyes peeled as they quoted us 9k two months ago to break out of it and one of us not working at the mo so it'd majorly help out if we coud switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

irishneady wrote:
    hey
    there was a lot of talk on ray darcy show last week about this. I think they are asking banks to take individual circumstances into consideration. the expense will not be completely abolished however as legislation would need to be introduced.The Consumers’ Association of Ireland and opposition politicians have called for the banking sector to introduce "some leeway" for customers struggling to cut back on their mortgage expenses.

I am keeping my eyes peeled as they quoted us 9k two months ago to break out of it and one of us not working at the mo so it'd majorly help out if we coud switch.

Banks do take personal circumstances into consideration. There are usually options to switch to interest only, payment breaks, or agree lower payments, as long as the person struggling to repay the mortgage engages with the bank from early on.

Advertisement