Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Special Bottle of Whiskey

Options
  • 21-04-2009 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to mark a Special Occasion with a special bottle of whiskey. Basically I'd like that there is a connection with this year (2009). Is it possible to get a bottle that is marked as bottled in 2009 (or is it too early in the year?). Or any suggestion on what to buy and where?

Any help on this would be great.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

You could get one of the personalised bottles from the Old Jameson Distillery in Bow Street, though I don't know if they put the date on.

BeerNut wrote: »
    You could get one of the personalised bottles from the Old Jameson Distillery in Bow Street, though I don't know if they put the date on.

I think they only put names on but maybe they'll put the date on. Costs a tenner if I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Be very hard to get a bottle with 2009 on it. Midleton 2009 probably will not come out till late in the year. And scotch usually puts the Distilation year and not the bottle year on it.

The idea above is best.

Bushmills do one also and will post.

As do Cooley in Kilbeggan and they should put a date on the Tyrconnell for you.

Check out this Tyrconnell

Or another thought is if this is an Anniversary of sorts you might be able to get an aged whiskey to match the years ... ie 18year old 21year old 25year old 30 year old whiskies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Or another thought is if this is an Anniversary of sorts you might be able to get an aged whiskey to match the years ... ie 18year old 21year old 25year old 30 year old whiskies etc.

Yea this is the other option alright, that's to all who replied. I think this is the route I'll go down.
    So who does a nice 30 year old whiskey?

• Advertisement

Ooops I may have landed you in it there ... you'll find a 30yo Irish Whiskey hard to get and fairly expensive to get your hands on....

One here on flea bay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230336475593

an excellent whiskey that would set you back about 600Euro in a retailer like Celtic Whiskey Shop on Nassau St. You might get this one for about 300sterling.

for others you'll have to settle on a scotch ... google Loch Fyne Whiskies, a trusted online seller and will deliver to Ireland for a small fee.

They currently have

Highland Park 30yo for £184 sterling (Lovely rich whiskey sherry fruit cake with just a hint of smoke and spice)

Bunahabhainn 30yo for £97.20 (Sherry cask again a touch of smoke)

Glenfarclas 30yo £108.00 again a full rich dried fruit taste to this (Think of dried cake fruit mix mixed with whiskey) and I believe Glenfarclas has touches of chocolate too :)

You could also search for a 1979 but again this probably would have to be a scotch. You can also google teh Whiskey Exchange for a decent selection.

I have a bottle of Balblair 1979 open at the moment and it is an easy drinking whiskey with a nice sweetness to it. In the Whisky Exchange for 90quid. Again trusted seller and will deliver to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jennifercrowley

Hi there,
    I happen to work for Jameson Whiskey so I just thought I would let you know that the 2009 edition of Midleton Very Rare is not yet released. However the 2008 edition is widely available.
    With regard to personalised bottles of Distillery Reserve, I'm afraid that it is not possible to put a date on the label.
    On the bright side though, there are several terrificly packaged whiskeys which you could select as your gift.
    If you would like any more info just let me know otherwise enjoy the Special Occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

You can get the Bushmills Distillery Reserve bottle personalised and they will put whatever you want on it including a date, I think one of my friends already did this. A very nice whiskey it is too.

However, I think it can only be done if you visit the actual distillery itself, (well worth a visit by the way!).

You can get the Bushmills Distillery Reserve bottle personalised and they will put whatever you want on it including a date, I think one of my friends already did this. A very nice whiskey it is too.

However, I think it can only be done if you visit the actual distillery itself, (well worth a visit by the way!).

I gave them a bell over a year ago and they had no issues doing one for me. However I did say I was up there and forgot to get it (which was true)

As you say well worth the visit and the 1608 Anniversary was only 45quid there as opposed to 95Euro down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

The thing about the personalised Jameson Distillery Reserve is that you could buy it in 2020 and get them to put 2009 on it... not that that really matters, of course.

You could pick up a Laphroaig 30 on eBay probably for around 250 euro. I'd recommend that, if you like peated whiskey.

Cooley will have some bottles with this year's date on it too. There will be some bottled for the Celtic Whiskey Shop soon enough, I believe. Should be single casks.

• Advertisement

Brockagh wrote: »
    The thing about the personalised Jameson Distillery Reserve is that you could buy it in 2020 and get them to put 2009 on it... not that that really matters, of course.

You could pick up a Laphroaig 30 on eBay probably for around 250 euro. I'd recommend that, if you like peated whiskey.

Cooley will have some bottles with this year's date on it too. There will be some bottled for the Celtic Whiskey Shop soon enough, I believe. Should be single casks.

Thanks, I plan on paying a visit to the Celtic Whiskey Shop soon so will have a look at the Colley then.

Thanks for all the assistance, keep it coming.

The might also get another Midleton Single Cask, but I'm not sure.

...also, it's 2007 since IDL produced a Rarest Vintage Reserve. They might do another one this year. The play was to bring out new versions from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

emc2 wrote: »
    Yea this is the other option alright, that's to all who replied. I think this is the route I'll go down.
    So who does a nice 30 year old whiskey?

You're buying me a bottle of Whiskey for my 30th birthday?

Aw, thanks.
    :D:D

Hi there,
    I happen to work for Jameson Whiskey so I just thought I would let you know that the 2009 edition of Midleton Very Rare is not yet released. However the 2008 edition is widely available.
    With regard to personalised bottles of Distillery Reserve, I'm afraid that it is not possible to put a date on the label.
    On the bright side though, there are several terrificly packaged whiskeys which you could select as your gift.
    If you would like any more info just let me know otherwise enjoy the Special Occasion.

Hi Jennifer

Jameson Range from IDL has really improved with a great line up in the last few years.
    Currently the regular range is something like this. Jameson Very Rare, Jameson 18yo, Jameson Gold, Jameson 12yo, Jameson Signature Reserve (Travel Retail) Crested Ten & Regular Jameson. However us whiskey nuts always like stuff out of the ordinary like single cask bottlings etc any idea whether there is anything interesting in the pipeline?

Des wrote: »
    You're buying me a bottle of Whiskey for my 30th birthday?

Aw, thanks.
    :D:D

Doh, the Suprise is ruined. I'll just have to keep the bottle for myself!! :D

Advertisement