Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMS Gateway?

• 21-04-2009 2:58pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My company has set up a type of twitter service that delivers messages to your mobile. It works in the US but I cannot get it to work here.

I asked them about it and they responded with:

The SMS feature just relies on the cell phone carrier email-to-sms offerings. Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_gateway to see if your carrier offers it.

02 is not on the list, does anyone know if this is possible?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Not really supported over here. I know meteor have this facility open but its not reliable. Most of the other operators do not allow you to email to sms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

As far as I know meteor are the only Irish operator to allow it. You email to <phone number>@mms.mymeteor.ie. There's @sms.mymeteor.ie too but that doesn't seem to work anymore. The recipient has to have mms set up on their phone even if the message only contains text.

If you're willing to pay for messages you could use a service like sms discount, voip cheap, low rate voip etc.

I have a service that you could use that makes use of the free web texts that are offered by meteor, o2 and vodafone but they only offer 300 a month (250 for o2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

What Vimes said. This really needs adding to the FAQ - it comes up every second day (makes note to self!).

Advertisement