Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

use of IE, firefox logo etc

Options
  • 21-04-2009 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

If I was to do a website header - do you think it would be ok if it included as part of the header image such things as the IE icon, firefox icon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Probably not, why do you want to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

I'm doing a blog about making a poker website - I was thinking of doing an image that included perhaps the IE logo, Firefox logo, Opera logo, WordPress logo in between some poker imagery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

They don't like that. While you're able to use the logo widely and with very few conditions, derivatives and altering a logo is almost always not permitted in the case of large trademarks. Some trademark holders are very particular as to how their logo is displayed (nevermind altered). E.g. some insist that there is a certain amount of whitespace around a logo, like 50% of the smaller dimension.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefox
    Trademark and logo issues
    See also: Mozilla software rebranding
    The generic globe logo used when Firefox is compiled without the official branding

The name "Mozilla Firefox" is a registered trademark; along with the official Firefox logo, it may only be used under certain terms and conditions. Anyone may redistribute the official binaries in unmodified form and use the Firefox name and branding for such distribution, but restrictions are placed on distributions which modify the underlying source code.[90]

Mozilla not only forbids creating derivative works from Firefox logo (i.e. modifying it)[91], but also strongly discourages creating independent, but similar logos.[92]

Also

http://www.mozilla.org/foundation/trademarks/policy.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

cheers - looks like I'll have to come up with something else then

Advertisement