Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City - Cat?

Options
  • 21-04-2009 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone else lives in an apartment and has a cat? My guinea pig of many years passed away a while ago and I would love a cat but am not sure whether apartment living would be ok for one?
    Also I work during the day and am not sure if it would be good for the cat to be indoors and alone for 9 hours.

Any advice would be welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

I had a cat in my apartment for years. She was very happy (she was a rescued cat btw) and she would sleep when I'm not there and play with me when I'm there. If you have big apartment you may want to take two cats, they will keep each other company.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Toffypop

Thanks Herya, I was a bit hesitant in case the cat would miss being outside. My O/H has suggested getting a lead for walks but I live in the city centre and would be afraid something would happen him/her

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Yes apartments are fine for cats, the best is they dont make noise at all so neighbours won't be annoyed. Also indoor cats live longer!

We got a stray 5 month old kitten there last Thursday and she is grand, like the second poster said she mainly sleeps during the day and is active more at night and in the morning, great timing!

Perfect pet for an apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Toffypop wrote: »
    My O/H has suggested getting a lead for walks but I live in the city centre and would be afraid something would happen him/her

If you have a quiet park nearby it could be a good idea but cats are extremely sensitive to noise and taking them out into the street might be an ordeal, unless you have a very cool and relaxed cat! Maybe you could secure your balcony - if you have one - or a windowsill for the cat to come out, they love lying out in the sun.

Also, don't take a cat used to living outdoors - he/she might miss it. A kitten or a home cat will adapt fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Thanks Herya, I was a bit hesitant in case the cat would miss being outside. My O/H has suggested getting a lead for walks but I live in the city centre and would be afraid something would happen him/her

Cats don't need to be walked like dogs, because they get great excercise exploring the apartment/house, they can get into places that dogs cant (even us humans).

Once you play with it every day it has enough excercise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Toffypop

Thanks so much for the replies, I've a feeling there may be a new feline addition to the household so :)
    I'll get in touch with Cats Aid, it looks like they'd be the ones to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

Same here I also have a cat in my apartment & am arranging to hopefully get a second as company for her.

She's always been indoor & is happy to sleep half the day on a cushion looking out the window at everyone :D Not a bother in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Thanks so much for the replies, I've a feeling there may be a new feline addition to the household so :)
    I'll get in touch with Cats Aid, it looks like they'd be the ones to go to.

Indoor cats are fine but you need to play with them or else they get very bored and just sleep all the time. Also, if you can bring them out once in a while they will enjoy it. Cats love to explore so even just bringing them to someone elses house for an hour or two will be fun for them.

Advertisement