Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit - Still Waiting

Options
  • 21-04-2009 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I moved from an apartment I was renting with a letting agency almost 2 months ago - im still waiting on my deposit to be returned. At first they called there was a disputed payment and that I was required to send a copy of my bank statement to prove I was not in arrears, which I did. I have sent emails and called repeatedly and am told the same bs every time, some vague thing about there being a dispute with the property owners and that I am not the only one waiting on a deposit.

I would like to know if anybody has any idea if there is a specific period of time that any agency have in which to return a deposit and if so how long? Also any suggestions as to what my next steps should be ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I moved from an apartment I was renting with a letting agency almost 2 months ago - im still waiting on my deposit to be returned. At first they called there was a disputed payment and that I was required to send a copy of my bank statement to prove I was not in arrears, which I did. I have sent emails and called repeatedly and am told the same bs every time, some vague thing about there being a dispute with the property owners and that I am not the only one waiting on a deposit.

I would like to know if anybody has any idea if there is a specific period of time that any agency have in which to return a deposit and if so how long? Also any suggestions as to what my next steps should be ?

Its the letting agents responsibility to look after the deposit. They are liable for it. Id be threatening legal action at this stage. The deposit should be given on the day you hand back the keys.. the property owners dispute is not your problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Do they have an office?

If so, get yourself around there and refuse to move until you are given your deposit back.

It is every man for himself now as far as i am concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Take a look at this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 starchild27

They have an office in rathgar. The agency im talking about is MTS. I am in work in kildare mon-fri so going to their office is not really an option.

Yes I had read that post and had considered thretening legal action but am unsure about the costs involved in seeing this through if it comes to it :-?

I have tried calling Threshold but they are busy whenever I call

Thanks for the replies

Advertisement