Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicest take away coffee in the Marble City?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Sampled the grind in that shop on the Dublin Road on the left about 100M after the roundabout, opposite the maxol garage.

They actually have 2 coffee machines in there. One is nice enough, grinds its own beans etc etc, but the Dowe Egberts one seems to have hot coffee on draught all day long and believe you me, the coffee from that machine tastes like ass. Really rank now, some of the worst coffee I have ever had. Consistently, not just once-off. A bit like Maxwell Housing Estate that's been burnt and boiled until all the flavour has gone.

I used to frequent this establishment, owing to its (relatively) nice coffee and proximity to my workplace, but it is so hit and miss these days with the 2 coffee machines - any time I go in the nice one is being serviced or filled or something - that I just bite the bullet and head up to Eurospar and drink of Tim Horton like a bucket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 seankk

I know I'm coming to this late and that I am biased as I have a very strong connection with Mugshot café but just wanted to let you know that Mugshot is definitely not part of a chain. Most people comment on the friendly service and the compliments here about the quality of the coffee are common. Aoghán behind the counter is a very friendly open guy but all commments are logged and taken note of. There's a great new snug at the back now for up to ten people to meet and have a craic and Mugshot has had free wifi for some time. Any further comments here are very welcome agus tá fáilte roimh dhaoine i Mugshot aon uair.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

fabbydabby wrote: »
    By the way you can get a savage breakfast in Cafe1 in Irishtown for under 7 Europes and the coffee is quite nice too.

Where is Cafe1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 roller66

i see mugshot has also added free internet access -nice touch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Where is Cafe1?

Cafe one is across from FAS offices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

Had coffee in newly refurbished Design Centre downstairs today, I think it can be officially called a 'Tourist Trap' at e3.05 for a coffee. I thought the Vat went down on these items.Was in Dublin during the week and a lot of Centra shops now selling coffee for 1 euro.Mind boggles.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Had coffee in newly refurbished Design Centre downstairs today, I think it can be officially called a 'Tourist Trap' at e3.05 for a coffee. I thought the Vat went down on these items.Was in Dublin during the week and a lot of Centra shops now selling coffee for 1 euro.Mind boggles.

In fairness you're not comparing like for like, it would cost a centra a lot less than a restaurant to serve coffee.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

since this thread has been bumped I may as well join in rather than start a new one.

I've heard that Cafe one is after closing unfortantly. Not sure if any thing is opening up in its place.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭kenn0

Hey all

in Town hit Wongs for a take away coffee and plenty of other delights from around the world. 1.50 I think for an americano

Out for a drive/cycle hit Freshco large coffee from the machine on the left. Bargain at 1.80 for a Large Lavazza

in Town hit Wongs for a take away coffee and plenty of other delights from around the world. 1.50 I think for an americano
    I never thought of going there. I must try that.
    Freshco large coffee from the machine on the left.
    The Freshco machine on the left exudes delightful frothy caffeinated nectar of the gods. The one on the right spews forth foul brown stinking slurry directly from the crotch of Lucifer himself.

Newcomers to Freshco find themselves faced with an ecclesiastical decision every time they go there for a coffee. Left or right... good or bad. It's like that allegory about the fork in the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

Anyone been into the new Mug Shot coffee shop at Ayrfield Medical Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Yeah same overpriced coffee as other place. I have stopped going to mugshot, a cup of coffee is €2.75, not even a mug. Too overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Is it good we rip off tourists? Surely someone should say "that's too much"
    Where is the tourist board?
    No one mentions Dawes in the High St, a bit touristy but I alway's enjoy the coffee, Latte actually.
    There seems to be two definitions of coffee, absolute heaven or down right crap.
    Now go to a garden centre and enjoy a coffee amongst the flowers and tree's, last time I did the woman behind the counter tried to tell me the cold coffee was the way it should be taken, never been back since.
    I like tea.:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Dores is an absolute overpriced garbage hole. All his tack looks good for tourists, it's the only merit of the place.

Mugshot is nice but waaay too steep.

Wongs is also great for lunch, coffees' etc. No frills, just the basics and at a great price.

Mocha does a fine coffee but again, tis a bit steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Tea Rooms do a gorgeous Hot chocolate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

+1 on the Tea Rooms! Love the coffee in there! :D Also really like Mocha! Bit more expensive but worth it! :cool:

I find the tea rooms coffee a bit bitter tasting myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Were exactly are the tea rooms?

I love the coffee from the little tea and coffee shop around the corner from xtra-vision, think the street is called st.Kierans st, was closed a couple of saturdays ago i hope its not gone.

Tea Rooms is a misnomer, there's only one room and it's opposite Kyteler's on Kieran St.

They also serve a selection of hot and cold beverages other than tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

They have an upstairs section as well, hence the "rooms" bit, or so I thought...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

An yeah I know the spot now!
    Thanks.

The place over lifestyle sports is a nice spot for a coffee at least it was the morning I was in there in October!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭kenn0

Hi all

I was in Wong's today for a take away coffee. 1.50 for an Americano 300ML. a Choice of Italian or Columbian beans freshly ground there and then. Went for the columbian very very nice. Good coffee and great value.

Sparks wrote: »
    They have an upstairs section as well, hence the "rooms" bit, or so I thought...
    You thought wrong, that's the Marble City Bar.

Advertisement