Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OCZ RAM = Bluescreen

Options
  • 21-04-2009 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have 4g's of ocz 1066mhz ram which is supposed to be run at 2.1volts ok....

I've put the voltage up on them twice to 2.1 using gigabytes easytune thingy. on both occaisions now it works fine until i after i shutdown the pc. When i try to start it again, either the case powers up fully but with nothing visual or any audio or the case powers and i get blue screen.

the last time this happened it only worked again after i took the battery out of the mobo, looks like i'll have to do that again.

Any ideas what's goin on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

you might need more power to stabilize them. Do you have 4x1GB's or 2x2GB's? Do you know the vdroop on your mobo?

I'd say increase the volts a bit and see if that fixes it, go up in the smallest increments it allows.

EDIT: woah! just read your post again. DO NOT USE "gigabytes easytune thingy", increase the voltages directly in the BIOS. I'd say whats happening is that any voltage increases you did out of the BIOS are getting wiped when you restart. Manually increase the RAM voltages to 2.1v in the BIOS itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Woah sounds bad!

Is what i did bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Effluo wrote: »
    Woah sounds bad!

Is what i did bad?

auto tune yokes usually cause more problems than anything else.

Just easier and less hair pullling if you just set things manually in the bios. Less to go wrong.

Set the memory timings by default and set the voltage to the 2.1v with a little extra ontop as Lemirod suggested and you will be fine.

ahhhhhh
    it happened again....

This time i set it directly from the bios too... :(

I'm thinkin at this point that i might just leave the ram at 1.8volts :(

At least i can use it then!

when you sasid set them to default did you mean leave the setting as auto?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Effluo wrote: »
    when you sasid set them to default did you mean leave the setting as auto?

by default: I mean set the default timings for the ram yourself in the bios.

Should list the timings for the ram on the packaging the ram came in and there prob is a sticker on the sticks themselves which state the timings as well.

Fancy ram can be twitchy unless you set the timings and the voltage exactly as they are specified to run at.

ok will do.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

I'm having some trouble with my OCZ RAM aswell. Basically the same problem as yours. Please don't say you have 2x2GB OCZ PC2-8k ReaperX >_>

No i have the gold series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

tbh ive never trusted ocz ram myself, i've always had problems with it. There are also alot of known stability issues with the gold series though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Older OCZ DDR2 and most of their DDR3 is fine AFAIK, but the current DDR2 sucks ass and all their current PC8000/8500 is utter $#!&£.

Not sure about Reapers but Gold and Platinum seem to be happier on systems with massively overvolted northbridges. Don't even ask. OCZ itself told me to do that and my issues are now few and far between even running close to rated 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1V. Previuosly I couldn't get it to 5-6-6-18 @ 2.2V without issues.

That said, IIRC my NB is cooking away at 1.65V+ and its getting pretty warm inside my comp nowadays... :o

Out of interest Effluo does your RAM's sticker rate it at 2.2V instead of 2.1V? Noticed that OCZ have increased the voltage ratings - not a good sign for stability or lifetime... In any case you should see best performance out of Gold/Platinum at 0.1-0.15V under maximum safe voltage and a really high NB voltage instead.

Advertisement