Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help buying a Digital SLR

• 21-04-2009 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi guys,

Am new to photography but am about to take my first plunge and get myself a digital SLR. Problem is, I have no idea of what to get. Am looking for an entry-level camera, budget of no more than 600 max.

Have had a snoop around the review sites and it seems as though the Canon EOS450 might be an idea, as might the Olympus 420, Sony A350, Pentax A100D or Nikon D60 (or was it D40? not sure!).

Then I read about Panasonic coming out with these new-technology cameras which are meant to bridge SLRs and digital compacts - is it worth holding out for these to come out and drop in price?

I'm not too fussed about live view (which is basically being able to use the LCD instead of viewfinder, right?) and am more likely to snap loads of quick shots rather than spend 10 mins setting up a shot using a tripod. Don't know if that makes any difference!

Any one got some pointers for me? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Seeing as you mentioned them

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2009/04/t.html

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2009/04/top-ten-recommended-cameras-7.html

As Mike Johnson says in one of the articles I've linked to there is very little between all the brands at the price point you quote, and there is really no point waiting around for some model to drop down in price, buy a camera and take some pictures, by the time you have mastered that model and can honestly say its holding you back there will probably be a couple of generations of new ones gone through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Just purchased the Canon EOS 450D about twenty minutes ago. The battery is currently charging... can't wait to use it! I went from a Kodak EasyShare C360 to this... quite a big jump. I have a free training course with the camera. Must find a nice carry case for it now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭r0nanf

Purchased the Nikon d40x in the states last year also as a beginner, and it's a fantastic camera. Have since added a 55-200VR lens and a speedflash. Great allrounder and simple functions are easy to use. Would highly recommend it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ber2

Thanks for the replies guys

It seems as though I'm likely to be happy no matter which of the cameras I purchase, since there seems to be little difference between the entry-level SLRs.

Will be going to Australia in a month, and notice that Dixons heathrow have both the Olympus E-520 and the Nikon D60 available for £330 http://www.dixonstaxfree.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=imaging.home&section=imaging&group=13

At that price, they seem a steal, especially considering the exchange rate!

Any views?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Look at the System rather than just the Entry Level Camera. Once you buy your first body you tend to stay in that system.

How long will you be in Australia?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭nattyguest

I would avoid the Olympus system personally - I started off with an amazing fuji compact and after reading reviews and such settled on an Olympus E400 as my camera. Noise was a major issue (and from what I can see, remains somewhat problematic to this day) on higher settings and it really hampered my shots. I also had problems with Olympus customer service and some basic settings which weren't implemented via a firmware update and which they told me to buy the next camera for (ability to turn off strobe flash focus, hardly a selling point feature...) - the actual phone call I received after my letter was pretty blunt and to the point as well.

In addition to this, their lenses are expensive (although everyone seems to agree that they are top quality) - if you're new to a system you might not want to spend a lot of money (or indeed have the money) on a lense until you're sure it's a field you're interested in. When I moved over to Canon I had the option of the cheap kit lense which while crap (the old non IS version) was wider than the Olympus due to the crop factor, and in fact I ended up investing in an expensive wide angle last year - something which would have been rbrm more expensive and not as wide on the Olympus.

Stick with the Nikon if you like the feel of those, you will be well set with Canon or Nikon either way, and there are plenty of lenses both from the manufacturers and 3rd parties. Beware with the Nikon D60 however as older lenses will only work as manual focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I think you are right in saying that you will be happy anyhow regardless of brand when considered in the context of buying entry level. Thinking further down the line it may be important to consider the 'system' that you are buying into ie. the brand, as when you've advanced beyond entry level and have gone through a few upgrades of lens and bodies, you will find that some brands run out of 'head room' in terms of upgrade path (features and differentiators).

Having said the above, at that point you are into some very professional level gear and while that is important it will really only effect some incredibly serious amateurs (with ample funds to feed the habbit) or people that do this for a living and its a business expense. Your entry level could last you a lifetime although you probably will seek an upgrade (or three) along the way ( if only for personal gratification ;) ).

The cost of what you've stated is good so buying in or around that cost and i reckon that you'll be doing pretty well.

Good luck with your purchase.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

When I have bought gear in Australia I have used Discount Digital Photographics and would reccomend them.

If you purchase there within 30 days of leaving Australia, you can get the 10% GST (like VAT) refunded at the Airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Ive been looking into buying an EOS405D , the prices seem to vary wildly , it really pays to shop around... komplette seem to be doing the best deal from what Ive seen around....and in terms of a bricks and mortar shops Currys in Carrickmines seems best at €669

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Ciaran_Dub

Trev M wrote: »
    Ive been looking into buying an EOS405D , the prices seem to vary wildly , it really pays to shop around... komplette seem to be doing the best deal from what Ive seen around....and in terms of a bricks and mortar shops Currys in Carrickmines seems best at €669

I was in Currys and Pc World today in Blanch I think that is down too €679 now, I could be wrong though. Also the cheapest I can see for a bricks and mortar shop is Argos for €549 with the kit lens. Only thing is it seems there are very low stock levels but they may get one sent from Newry would be worth a try.

• Advertisement

Ciaran_Dub wrote: »
    I was in Currys and Pc World today in Blanch I think that is down too €679 now, I could be wrong though. Also the cheapest I can see for a bricks and mortar shop is Argos for €549 with the kit lens. Only thing is it seems there are very low stock levels but they may get one sent from Newry would be worth a try.

Interesting that I had the older Argos cat and saw the 549 price alright and its that price on the site too argos.ie , checked in store in the current cat on the decks was 699 :eek: so I dunno what the deal is , a bit confusing.

Linky linky...

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5591143.htm

It would appear that there is no stock to be had anywhere in Ireland using the stock checker.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 campbellu

[-0-] wrote: »
    Just purchased the Canon EOS 450D about twenty minutes ago. The battery is currently charging... can't wait to use it! I went from a Kodak EasyShare C360 to this... quite a big jump. I have a free training course with the camera. Must find a nice carry case for it now...
    Where did you buy it, the training is not available if you buy in argos (see other threads re price) and I would need the training as it very highly recommended (for beginners-like me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

I was in the same boat as you around a week ago OP. Now waiting for delivery of a Canon EOS 450D incl 18-55mm, Sigma 28-70mm & 70-300mm and a Canon 50 mm. Around €860 all in from Amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

FWIW just a few nuggets of advice from someone who bought the 450D just over 12 months ago. I am very happy with it, but it is an EXTREMELY sharp learning curve to come from a P&S (in full auto) into the DSLR world.

* The quality of the 450D in auto can be brutal when compared to a P&S or bridge camera (like my old trusty Fuji S500)

* Start using it in manual ASAP. The difference is stunning.

* Buy THIS BOOK. It was recommended to me on this forum and it is invaluable.

* I've had terrible problems with the flash settings (only now resolved) so make sure you're prepared for this also.

Finally, I've shot digital photos with an Olympus C2020Z (a truly wonderful camera), a Fuji S5000 (also brilliant) and now with the 450D.

Yes the Olympus lenses are more expensive, but the reproduction can be startling.

It takes quite an amount of taming, but it's worth it. And the people on this forum (and over on www.photographyireland.net) are extremely helpful. So don't be afraid to ask.

Finally, have a look at my Flickr page (link below) and you can check the quality yourself). While the shots might not be to your taste it may give you a feel for what the camera is capable of.

Hope that helps!

Freddie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Didn't want setting up another topic for a quick similiar question: Anyone see a Nikon D60 with the kit VR lens for anything cheaper than £379 ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

amazon.co.uk have some pretty good deals sometimes. if you were looking for a second hand one you could try adverts.ie.

and definitely invest in a good book! that understanding exposure is meant to be really good...I got myself a copy of the basic book of photography by tom grimm and it's a great help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Schlemm wrote: »
    amazon.co.uk have some pretty good deals sometimes. if you were looking for a second hand one you could try adverts.ie.

and definitely invest in a good book! that understanding exposure is meant to be really good...I got myself a copy of the basic book of photography by tom grimm and it's a great help.

The Understanding Photography book is, IMHO, a must-have. It made a HUGE difference to me. Gave me the confidence to use the camera in Manual - which I wouldn't have had the confidence to do, prior to reading it.

As has been pointed, the cost is totally negligible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I've gone on a delete fest on this thread to tidy up copyright references.

Please understand that the charter references to piracy and copyright are applicable to all copyrighted works - photographic imagery, software, music, printed material, etc. As a user of the boards.ie site there is an onus on you to respect this.

Thank you to all who discouraged the practice. If i've removed your posts, its only to remove the general discussion rather than applying action against your discouragement. Apologies in advance.

Look - we would and regularly do hop off anyone who abuse a photographers copyright so for this thread to facilitate the advertisement and subsequent pm trading of what we understand to be copyrighted material is essentially very bad form.

You are free to post links to material which has entered the public domain however the onus is on you to make sure as to it's validity prior to doing so.

Copyrighted material - Please don't do it.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

CabanSail wrote: »
    Look at the System rather than just the Entry Level Camera. Once you buy your first body you tend to stay in that system

That is excellent advice.

Also when you look more closely at the sort of photos you want to take, choosing lenses is very important. Studying lenses will help you decide which system suits you best, perhaps.

http://digital-photography-school.com/prime-vs-zoom-lenses-which-are-best

The more you know about lenses, the more confident your final choice will be.

I have a Canon eos 400d (Digital Rebel) and find it pleasant to use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement