Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 day week

Options
  • 21-04-2009 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

prob in wrong forum.

My partner works in accounts with this company, from time to time when the receptionist is ill she covers that position, she has worked with his company for 12 years, today they have told her that as of next week she will work only 3 days - before easter they gave her a %5 wage deduction. She said to them why couldnt the receptionist, whos only been there 1 year, take the 3 day week and she would work that position on the other 2 days. They said no cause she works in accounts.

My question is, what should happen?

Does she have to accept the 3 day week?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

Jeez, thanks for that insight, very helpful :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Moved from After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

I would suspect that the receptionist cant go on three days because your partner and the receptionist are not in comparable positions and so she does not have seniority from that point of view.

"coz she works in accounts" sounds suspect to me, I'd personally think it's coz your partner is there 12 years and is costing them more than their receptionist who is probably on buttons as it is never mind that she's only there 1 year.

is there anyone else in the organisation being asked to cut their hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Yeah, it's probably because by cutting your partner's hours they're saving more than by cutting the receptionist's hours.

Advertisement