Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is a joke

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Friendface, you sound like you have a pretty class cv that jumps off the page, however, with the way the economy has gone and the shít way the government runs this country, things are only going to get harder. I'd say either; emigrate to somewhere that isn't effected by the recession (Canada, UAE etc...) or do a masters of some sort. It's a really shít situation to be in and it is incredibly disheartening but going on the dole from looking at my family members and friends etc... is a really, really, really depressing experience and even though it's money it's really depressing, the only people that like staying on the dole are wasters or the odd freak in AH who's on 38k with 4 kids and plays golf all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

No luck for me either. Apparently there were 3x the normal applicants, so competition was hot this year.

With the number of people who didn't get it, it looks like the 2nd round will be equally as tough. I've to apply for college funding now, but the subsidy is so small, it may not be worth it, and the competition for that will be just as fierce, so things aren't looking too good.

Luckily I've held onto my pt job all through college. T'is sh1te, but it pays. Depressing prospect spending so much time in college and putting in so much effort to still be doing the same job I was doing when I was 16 despite having a degree in Engineering.

Good luck to all that got funding, well done. Good luck to all who didn't. We need it.

El Siglo wrote: »

Aul fella; "How's she cuttin Aristotle? What are you up to these days?"

Deleted User; "Oh I'm still in college, workin hard!"

Aul fella; "What are ya studyin, last I heard it was a yoke of some sort?"

Deleted User; "The Transport of Energetic Particles in the Heliosphere and the Local Interstellar Medium"

Aul fella; "Oh so it's kinda like how a car works is it?":confused:

If you replace 'aul fella' with 'my dad', it's very similar to a conversation I had not too long ago. Also, add the lines:

Me: "I'm gonna have a PhD in 4 years, maybe even 3..."

Dad: "Ah sure that's deadly. Maybe you could do something about my back? It's been bleeding killing me all day...."

Commiserations to those who were unsuccessful, don't give up hope just yet. Remember to look into all possibilities, and make sure your supervisor has looked into funding from all possible sources.
    If you're applying in the second round, feel free to PM me for a copy of my application if you'd like to take a glance, although I don't really see anything special about it.

To those who were, the drinks are on me! (Only a handful were successful right?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I didn't get in this time last year, but they send you some feedback which lets you know what areas you were marked down in, which can be helpful if you're going for the second round. I fixed up the part that was pulling me down and luckily I got in on the second attempt :D

Congrats Aristotle, and I'll gladly drink anything you're willing to pay for (that goes for anyone actually) :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Fausto Miño

From those who know, how do the second rounds compare in terms of competitiveness to the first round, i.e. more graduates etc?
    I got a 1.1 and a years international relevant work experience and a good project with good economic benefits and My supervisor and I are scratching our heads as why I didnt get it. My first year univ results are not so hot, but it hardly makes me a bad researcher, Ive been researching professionally for the past year.
    Oh well
    It will be interesting to see in the breakdown where I scored badly
    keep positive!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 hannahlambda

Does anyone know when the feedback is due to come?

Aaand, does anyone know what the conditional offer means my needing your results to be in line with previous expectations? Avg 2.1 => need a 2.1? Or said I'd get a 1.1 on the application => need a 1.1?

Aaaaaand, does anyone know if the scholarship covers things like summer schools? It's worth e24,003, with e16,000 for expenses, e1,500 for a computer (!), apx (?) 3,000 for fees - to where does the rest go? Can I claim other expenses?! Can't seem to find this info anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Does anyone know when the feedback is due to come?

Aaand, does anyone know what the conditional offer means my needing your results to be in line with previous expectations? Avg 2.1 => need a 2.1? Or said I'd get a 1.1 on the application => need a 1.1?

Aaaaaand, does anyone know if the scholarship covers things like summer schools? It's worth e24,003, with e16,000 for expenses, e1,500 for a computer (!), apx (?) 3,000 for fees - to where does the rest go? Can I claim other expenses?! Can't seem to find this info anywhere.

To be fair now, I wouldn't worry about this end of things, concetrate on getting the grades and getting the application spot on, the money bit will follow... hopefully!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

El Siglo wrote: »
    I wish!:D Then I'd have to deal with IRCHSS, the hippy human sciences people!;)

We're scientists too ;)

Well done guys, awful time waiting for results!

Advertisement