Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling with puppy in car

Options
  • 21-04-2009 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi

I have a crate for my puppy to travel in the car with us but he really doesn't like it (except for playing in at home :)). He whines and barks (he also tends to get travel sick but I think that would happen anyway for a while) so i want to get an alternative.

So my question is, which is better a harness and car seat belt or one of the hammock type things for back seat?:confused:

Any advise would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I use one of the harnesses that attach to the seatbelt and my girl seems to like it well enough. She sits in the back and has a good look around. That said, I am tempted to buy a crate as the would offer more space and comfort for longer journies. I would persevere with the crate for a little while. Start off with short trips, bring her somewhere she enjoys and gradually lengthen the trip. My dog now can't wait to get in to the car as she associates it with nice places like the forest and the beach!

I think most puppies get car sick and most grow out of it. I got a great pill in the vet for car sickness, I can't remember the name, but your vet should be able to help you. I think it makes them drowsy which makes the journey a bit easier for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 happypuppy

thanks a million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

The hammock type things don't keep the dog still, they merely protect the seats. You can get a harness and the hammock, most of the hammocks now have holes where the seat belts go in.

I still prefer the crates though, do you use it in the house as well? If the pup feels safe in it in the house, then he should feel equally at home in it in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 happypuppy

hi
    we don't use the crate for anything (training etc) in the house it is simply left in the kitchen and it was left without the door on it one day and we noticed he was going into it to play with toys and bringing treats into it! So now we leave it open on the floor for him to use as his own little room :D. He has no problem with the crate in the house at all its just the car

Advertisement