Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A World Without Men? - Ants Lead the Way

Options
  • 21-04-2009 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

I taught this might give some of you a good laugh.
    Save the males? Too late for Mycocepurus smithii.

This leaf-cutter ant species is all female and thrives without sex of any kind—ever—according to a new study. The ants have evolved to reproduce only when queens clone themselves.
    "They appear to have evolved a new mode of reproduction, and the genetic mechanisms have yet to be worked out," said lead study author Anna Himler, a research associate at the University of Arizona.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/04/090417-female-ants-picture.html

Interesting way of life. How would you all feel if humankind were to go down this route?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Surely it's an all-asexual species rather than an all-female species?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Tbh, a world without would be extrememly boring and i think visa versa!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

994 wrote: »
    Surely it's an all-asexual species rather than an all-female species?

They still have vestigial female reproductive organs. However it's not certain if they would be ale to work anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

God, I would hate that, how dull. I love men (see my heavy posting on the male form and strangely attractive threads!:pac:), it really would be quite crap without them. I'd rather have a baby than a clone of myself in fairness. Though I suppose we have an emotional side that the female ants probably don't miss or have any need for! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I agree with Jules, both genders compliment eachother. Each would be crap without the other.

Now a world where I was the ONLY male..............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

If it was all female - would we still need to get periods
    mmmmmmmmmmmm

This could change alot of things

Advertisement