Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating out in Killarney

Options
  • 21-04-2009 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭

Was in an upmarket restaurant last Saturday night with the girlfriend in Killarney. Arrived at about 10pm after a long day and was looking forward to a good steak, ordered a pint and a glass of Coke, Peppered Fillet Steak and she had Fish of some sort, not a fan :)

Anyway food was absolutely beautiful but the steak was served bare, ie. no onions or mushrooms, just a sauce. So I asked the waitress was there any chance of some Mushrooms, I said if it was too much hassle forget it, she said no problem and had them out to me in 5 minutes.

Really enjoyed the meal and when I got the bill the amount was 75 euro so I threw in 85, that was until I read the bill. She charged me a fiver for the Mushrooms... It's not the amount, but the fact she actually felt the need to bill me for the bloody things.

While we were eating there was a young lad playing the piano, he was playing some very nice stuff and it definitely made the evening more enjoyable, also playing Roxette's Listen to your Heart, my gf's favourite song. I took a fiver out of the waitresses tip, decided she could pay for my mushrooms instead, got another fiver, threw a tenner into the pianists tip jar, which he wasn't expecting and I was happy to do.

Anyone else been charged for mushrooms? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I hate the way restaurants charge for ' extras ' or ' sides ' such as vegtables.

It can make a meal very expensive indeed.

I suppose it comes down to reading the menu carefully and asking !

The waitress should at least have warned you I think

Where was this ? Just interested because this is a pretty good restaurant review :)

( I know Killarney pretty well )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Not actually sure what the name of the place was, I think it was called Foley's but I could be wrong. It's towards the end of the town, just before the turn off for the national park. Nice food alright but charging for mushrooms? Give me a break!

Foley's Town House.

Was always a good , but expensive restaurant. I remember they used to have live lobsters in the window... cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

Got food poisoning from Treyvauds or something similar to that last week, avoid like the plague in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Milano's is another rip-off in Killarney. Avoid it.

Had a 2 for 1 voucher when we went there and we still felt robbed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭nodolan

I'm laughing Dave147 cos a few weeks ago I was in the restaurant upstairs in the English Market in Cork and I asked for the 'house' omelette. I asked what was in the omelette and was looked at with surprise and with the answer 'Eggs!' to which I returned the surprised look and asked if there would be mushrooms or tomatoes or anything that one would usually expect in an omelette (especially one named the 'house' omelette) to which the reply was 'That'll cost you more' - up to €3 more. I declined. The adverts on the radio where the couple get charged just for sitting down are closer to reality than we care to believe. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

kcb wrote: »

Where abouts in Killarney is Milano's

I'm laughing Dave147 cos a few weeks ago I was in the restaurant upstairs in the English Market in Cork and I asked for the 'house' omelette. I asked what was in the omelette and was looked at with surprise and with the answer 'Eggs!' to which I returned the surprised look and asked if there would be mushrooms or tomatoes or anything that one would usually expect in an omelette (especially one named the 'house' omelette) to which the reply was 'That'll cost you more' - up to €3 more. I declined. The adverts on the radio where the couple get charged just for sitting down are closer to reality than we care to believe.

How much was the omlette ?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭nodolan

Davidth88 wrote: »
    How much was the omlette ?
    I think it was 6 or 7 euro. My friend had a bowl of porridge and that cost about 3.50 or 4 euro. Definitely Tony's Bistro next time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

dh0661 wrote: »
    Where abouts in Killarney is Milano's

The old Carrig Donn opposite the AIB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Anyone coming to Killarney should ask the locals on the Killarney Thread , i think it could save a lot af hassle ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Famous45 wrote: »
    Got food poisoning from Treyvauds or something similar to that last week, avoid like the plague in future.

4 us got food poisoning from Treyvauds aswell about 2 years ago.

Looks like much hasn't changed... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

4 us got food poisoning from Treyvauds aswell about 2 years ago.

Looks like much hasn't changed... :rolleyes:

been struck down after a trip there also:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Dave147 wrote: »
    Not actually sure what the name of the place was, I think it was called Foley's but I could be wrong. It's towards the end of the town, just before the turn off for the national park. Nice food alright but charging for mushrooms? Give me a break!

i was there once, and thought the pricing was ridiculous, it's wrong to charge extra for veg accompanying a main course, esp when their mains are dear anyway.

the food was good, but wouldnt recommend it based on price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

kcb wrote: »

Had a 2 for 1 voucher when we went there and we still felt robbed!

+1, they attempted to charge me 12 euro for 4 cans of coke with "Multipack not to be sold seperately" plastered acorss them a few months ago. Needless to say I wasnt impressed and they decided to charge me 6 quid instead. All I can say is that their days are numbered if they are that blatant in trying to rip people off.

Advertisement