Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Throttling certain sites/Giving Priority to trial users

Options
  • 21-04-2009 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭

Does 3 still restrict.. or to be more specific in my case, slow down (throttle?) access to certain sites?

E.g, I can browse sites and download etc, yet can't use certain video streaming sites. Youtube works fine for me and has since I got the modem on sunday.

However, Channel 4's download service works fine until you pick an episode to play when speeds grind to a halt. Also, justin.tv is also grinding along at 0.02kB/s.

Meanwhile I can browse other sites at good speeds but these sites won't load.

Also, does anyone know if 3 give priority to users on the 14 day trial? I'm sure it's certainly technically possible..?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

Well in my experience it was great when I was on the trial , then a week after the trial was up it turned to pot. Everytime I ring them and complain they say they will have the "engineers" look at it , and the next day it is flying along again for about a month.
    So Id say it is possible for them to throttle users if they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Would the clause the goods or service must be able to do what they are supposed to apply I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Don't think it will judging by the Three M-M-Megathread..

I'm quite happy with it so far tonight, RTE player flying along. Just don't want it all to go downhill after the trial.

Edit: Spoke too soon. I notice I can't access argos.ie or argos.co.uk on 3 midband.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,153 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

3 don't throttle individual users connections, if it goes slow it's usually down to contention...

argos is working fine for me, tried it there now...

Can't seem to ever get any video streams on leinsterrugby.ie to work nor justin.tv..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,153 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I can't get the videos on leinster rugby site either, using my bt conection or 3, i'd say it's the website is wonky not your connection..

on the justin site using bt again it's very very slow to load up...so slow I thought it wasn't working either for a few minuites...

your not blocked from getting to these sites?

Edit:

justin TV not playing the vids for me, thought it was loading but no...

Sometimes the rugby is streamed on justin.tv and I can't bloody watch it because its being prohibited in some shape or form by 3. Works fine on Eircom dsl.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭fintaneduffy

it takes a lot of calls but if you are that unhappy with it, you can cancel your contract with them without penalty, it worked for me but took a lot of screaming down the phone.

Advertisement