Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porting to 02 confusion

• 21-04-2009 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Just looking to clear some stuff up here, have searched but cant find a definite answer anywhere.

How do you go about porting a number to 02??
    Daryll from 02 posted saying its only a matter of a 5 min phone call to a certain number, and the 02 website seems to agree, but when my gf rang them she was told she had to go to an 02 store and sign something:confused:

Surely this cant be right? Anyone done this recently???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

You have to go to a store anyway because you need to get an o2 sim card to move the number onto. Or maybe they'll post one out to you and you can then call up. If you already have a blank o2 sim it should be possible to do it over the phone but they generally do require you to sign a form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It can be done on the phone if you get the right agent (and you can get yourself a free SIM from www.freesims.ie). If you're in any way unsure about the whole thing though you should go into a shop where (a good agent anyway) they will make sure your numbers are copied and the SIM put into your phone etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

Random wrote: »
    It can be done on the phone if you get the right agent (and you can get yourself a free SIM from www.freesims.ie). If you're in any way unsure about the whole thing though you should go into a shop where (a good agent anyway) they will make sure your numbers are copied and the SIM put into your phone etc.

The right agent?? Surely any of them should do it?
    I have some 02 sims ordered, so your saying it should be possible over the phone then

The right agent?? Surely any of them should do it?
    I have some 02 sims ordered, so your saying it should be possible over the phone then
    I've done it over the phone a couple of times.

By "the right agent" I mean that some agents don't really have the same level of knowledge as others. It's the same in all areas I guess, you'll get the agent who doesn't enjoy their job, doesn't want to be there and does all they can to get rid of you. Then you'll get the other guy who goes out of his way to help you out.

The same could be said for the shops I guess and this definitely applys to all networks IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Ring o2 on 1850 601747 when you get the free sims in the post, tell them you received your free sim and you want to port your existing number to 02, if they tell you you need to go instore tell them that it says to just ring 02 to port. It did however take me 3 phone calls yesterday before I got someone who was able to put a port in for me, I thought they would've all been able to do it but looks not- I need 10 friends to move to 02 want to be one of them?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

Thanks ,Il give it a try when I get the sims then I suppose
    Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Ring o2 on 1850 601747 when you get the free sims in the post, tell them you received your free sim and you want to port your existing number to 02, if they tell you you need to go instore tell them that it says to just ring 02 to port. It did however take me 3 phone calls yesterday before I got someone who was able to put a port in for me, I thought they would've all been able to do it but looks not- I need 10 friends to move to 02 want to be one of them?:D

Thanks!
    Haha I just realised that I might get that question. No sorry , I AM one of MY own 10 friends moving to 02 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Haha I just realised that I might get that question. No sorry , I AM one of MY own 10 friends moving to 02 :D

Ha I'm one of my 10 too:L Great minds think alike-good luck with getting your number ported, hopefully it'll be relatively pain free!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Random wrote: »
    I've done it over the phone a couple of times.

By "the right agent" I mean that some agents don't really have the same level of knowledge as others. It's the same in all areas I guess, you'll get the agent who doesn't enjoy their job, doesn't want to be there and does all they can to get rid of you. Then you'll get the other guy who goes out of his way to help you out.

The same could be said for the shops I guess and this definitely applys to all networks IMO.

My understanding is that a CAF form always has to be signed before a number can be ported. Could it be possible that some "right agents" are bending the rules for customers.
    I'll check tomorrow when I'm back in work and if I'm wrong I'll eat some humble pie.

Edit; IIRC Amdocs has a box you tick to confirm the CAF has been signed.

Gillo wrote: »
    My understanding is that a CAF form always has to be signed before a number can be ported. Could it be possible that some "right agents" are bending the rules for customers.
    I'll check tomorrow when I'm back in work and if I'm wrong I'll eat some humble pie.

Edit; IIRC Amdocs has a box you tick to confirm the CAF has been signed.
    O2s policy changes so often in this regard, especially at Xmas. I can't say what the most up to date is and can only really speak from experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

Just to clear this up for you guys. Its not a case of getting the right agent. When you get the porting sim we need to validate the fact that you are the user of the number that you want to port over, so we will give that number a ring before submitting the port. This does the job of the CAF form.

• Advertisement

Some agents (in my experience) are not aware they can do this daryll, hence my comment about "getting the right agent".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

Point taken.

I have actually passed it onto training to see if it can be fed out to the floor. Possibly some agents are stuck in their old ways :)

Advertisement