Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease to be broken

Options
  • 21-04-2009 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

Hey there

I rented out my house in October to a couple and their 2 kids and all was going grand. I had to move for work reasons for 2 years and needed to rent out the house to make ends meet as I would be paying a rather large rent myself now.

Good people that took the house and everything was going well. My tennant rang me about two months ago and said that there was an issue though. A problem arose when one of the girls who lived in the terrace moved out and rented her house out to travellers. At first they were quiet but then gradually the place started to fill up with English reg cars and there was vans coming and going at all times of night. There seemed to be different people going in and out of the house all the time according to my tennant and then eventually one night there was mayhem when four of them started beating lumps out of one another in the house late one Saturday causing everyone in the block to freak out and call the Garda. My tennant said it sounded like world war 3 and that he could here doors being kicked in and windows and bottles smashing. Also there were women in the place fighting and screaming.

Garda separated them after a struggle and through our management company we got in touch with the girl who was renting out the place to say her tennants were trouble. She said she would sort it and within a few days they were gone and as were all the cars vans etc. Everybody thought that was the end of it. Wrong.

4 weeks after the drama my tennant called me to say that she had moved in more travellers who my tennant said he had seen come and go there. An older couple but none the less, from the same family and the cars and vans are all back. My tennant said that he has no choice but to move for the sake of his kids if we didnt sort this out so we got back onto the management company but this time the girl landlord was cute enough not to pick up her phone despite about 20 attempts at ringing her. Also she never gave out any forwarding address on purpose when she moved so as we couldnt send her any solicitors letters or anything.

We are still trying to sort this but it is a process and my tennant is fast losing patience which I can understand. Anyway he says that he will move out asap and though I completely understand where he is coming from, it is a 12 month lease and he is 7 months in. I mean I wouldnt dream of hassling him for the money but can I ask for like a months notice or something just to get my bearings on this (also to try put away a couple of odds to pay both mortgage and rent). I dont want to be a pr#ck but I feel I need some sort of leeway on this. Also what can I do about this girl and her traveller renters??? Afraid I will never rent the place as long as they are there:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

thats a horrible situation for you both to be in. I know with my lease, again a 12 month lease, if I were to break the lease, I would be expected to pay the remaining months on it, ie, 4 months rent in your case.

if I were the tenant and breaking the lease, i don't think i would complain that you need a months notice, or if they are not prepared to stay for another month, to give you the months rent. But in saying that, they can always say, keep the deposit we gave you when we first moved in.

However if it has been an ongoing issue for a couple of months, and that it hasn't be sorted, I would be a bit peeved, but at the end of the day you need to be a landlord, and do what you feel best, as a business person.

best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

As owner you should be contacting the management agent. daily if required. The management is charged with ensuring the smooth running of the management company and protecting the interests of all owners. You need to ensure your investment is protected. This woman has to be traceable, there's always a way!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Does your lease have a break clause in it and if so, what is the notice period specified?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Calina wrote: »
    Does your lease have a break clause in it and if so, what is the notice period specified?

Not sure actually it was let through an agency so I'll have to call them to find out.

athtrasna wrote: »
    As owner you should be contacting the management agent. daily if required. The management is charged with ensuring the smooth running of the management company and protecting the interests of all owners. You need to ensure your investment is protected. This woman has to be traceable, there's always a way!

Management company have basically said there has to be a will on behalf of the landlord in qs to get them out. If she shows no interest which obviously she wont, then it could take nearly a year to get this sorted courts wise.

By then tennants will be gone and I'll be in serious hock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

population wrote: »
    Not sure actually it was let through an agency so I'll have to call them to find out.

But surely you have a copy of the lease yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

population wrote: »
    Management company have basically said there has to be a will on behalf of the landlord in qs to get them out. If she shows no interest which obviously she wont, then it could take nearly a year to get this sorted courts wise.

By then tennants will be gone and I'll be in serious hock

There is another way. There should be a clause in the deeds the landlord signed at purchase to say they are responsible for ensuring that their tenants comply with development rules if they let their unit. If not a clause about not causing disturbance or disruption to any other units. The management agent can send the landlord a solicitors letter for being in breach of this. We used it in our development to force a landlord to get rid of troublesome tennants.

THEYRE GONE!!!!!!!!!

Just to let everyone know I found out this morning that the travellers were put out with non payment of rent the issue.

My tennants are delighted, as am I, but yeah there is still a solicitors letter winging its way to that cheeky wagon reminding her of her responsibilities to her neighbours.

So relieved!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭annie.t

Good to hear this.
    Hope she will be wiser in a future in terms of tenants.
    :)

Advertisement