Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Requirements for Online gaming

Options
  • 21-04-2009 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭

Would an Eircom 7mb line be sufficent for 2 seperate PC's running online gaming simultaneously, or would a 10mb Smart connection be much better?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

dunkamania wrote: »
    Would an Eircom 7mb line be sufficent for 2 seperate PC's running online gaming simultaneously, or would a 10mb Smart connection be much better?

Thanks

Smart will turn off interleaving which will greatly reduce latency, Eircom won't, and they have interleaving set high. Other non-Eircom resellers may also be able to accommodate this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Thanks
    Online gaming doesn't use much bandwidth so having two gamers playing at the same time should be fine.

The problem with Eircom is their contention ratio. I ordered Eircom broadband for the new house I'm moving into next week but then I started looking at the competition (BT) and found the following differences:

- BT cheaper by €5 EUR
    - No download cap with BT (50GB download cap with Eircom)
    - Contention Ratio: Eircom 48:1 - BT 24:1

So basically, as far as gaming is concerned, BT is the better ISP for gamers.

But if you can get Smart or Magnet do it! Both are even better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Thanks for the feedback guys, very helpful.

I previously had NTL, but this is unavailable in the new place. How would NTL compare to Smart?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Thanks for the feedback guys, very helpful.

I previously had NTL, but this is unavailable in the new place. How would NTL compare to Smart?
    IMO, NTL is better than everything else available. It's proper cable broadband. Not copper cr@p... NTL have the worst Customer Service in the known universe but their product is fantastic (if you happen to live in a newly developed housing estate with proper/good quality lines).

ADSL (1 or 2+) will never be better than cable broadband IMO.

Next best thing is fibre optic. But before this becomes the norm in Ireland we'll be old and crippled me thinks...

Advertisement