Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More of a general fitness question but here goes

• 21-04-2009 8:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I have had my rest from the MdS and now I'm starting to get bored with doing nothing. I have nothing major coming up, I planning on Dublin then doing the Sahara Marathon again next Feb, but no other running goals, the Lapland 100k is out for me this year.

I found the training for the MdS took over alot of my life and I burned out towards the end, which meant I didn't enjoy the event to its full extent. I missed out on alot of activies that I generally enjoy due to training. So I 'm planning on getting back to basics and enjoying what I do;)

So my rough plan is along the lines of 3 10-12k runs a week, I have no endurance events in the coming months so I can ease back on the miles. I plan to start training during lunch 2 aweek, one hour sessions a mixture of plyometrics, stretching, shadow boxing [though I'm trying to get one of the lads to spar with me] intermixed with some short 200m runs.

Any who read my pre MdS training who know I used to do about 3 hours of bag-work aweek, so I'm also hoping to get about 2 one hours session of this aweek as well. I generally do 10x5mins of hard rounds with 90 secs break.

So what do people think my opinion is that if I keep the sessions hard it should keep me ticking over in terms of endurance for when I pick up the distance again. Though I think the next ultra will be the next Art O'Neill and there is plenty of time for that. So all opinions welcome, what do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi Odysseus would you consider racing over the shorter distances throughout summer and just continue to do a longish run on the Sunday while training for 5k to 10 mile races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Cheer Woddel, I don't get out of bed for less than a Marathon;) Though on a serious note it is something to consider, I found that I have been getting slower over the past year and I don't think it is my age yet, I'm not 40 for afew months yet. An important point in it is if I am correct there are plenty of 10k out there during the summer. Am I right in this?

Yep theres plenty of races of that distance but the reason I ask is you could get involved in this for 12 weeks, help get a bit of speed back into the legs.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055544597
    By the way 40 is very close to being over the hill :D, I had a small freak out turning 30 last week

Woddle wrote: »
    Yep theres plenty of races of that distance but the reason I ask is you could get involved in this for 12 weeks, help get a bit of speed back into the legs.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055544597
    By the way 40 is very close to being over the hill :D, I had a small freak out turning 30 last week

Yeah but I'm moving up that hill with a backpack on my back and a smile on my face;) I always find it interesting how people will prostitute themselves in order to meet a courses requirements:)

Ok being serious now, I had a look at the said thread and I always try to help people trying to something like that, as well as it looks quite intersting and of course the benefits to me.

I don't want to commit yet, as there may be some difficulties in my getting there work for example, plus I work in Dublin but live a good commute away, so that rules out the weekend. When are you looking at starting up? Also have you chosen a particular day? Congrats on your birthday by the way.

Cheers for the happy bday but Paris ruined it :D
    The great thing about a club is that you have the option to do the workouts on your own also and get feedback from the group after and if you can make it all the better. Hope to start the 12 week schedule this Monday and whatever days people can fit the workouts in will do as long as its not back to back.

• Advertisement

Woddle wrote: »
    Cheers for the happy bday but Paris ruined it :D
    The great thing about a club is that you have the option to do the workouts on your own also and get feedback from the group after and if you can make it all the better. Hope to start the 12 week schedule this Monday and whatever days people can fit the workouts in will do as long as its not back to back.

Ok cheers, I'll check out my diary in work and see what opitions I have.

Advertisement