Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Correctors...:(

Options
  • 21-04-2009 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭

Did anyone think that their mocks were marked unfairly after being sent away?

I'm just wondering if they tend to mark down, maybe?

I find it hard to believe that out of my honours English class, only one person got a B!

Thoughts? :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Dante

Our english papers were marked far too easily tbh, there were 3 A's and most of the rest were B's. We eventually had to get them rechecked because they were marked so easily. I went from 77% to 59% :S Injustice I tells ya! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

They weren't just marked hard, they were marked shockingly bad in some cases too!

I got 40/70 for a comparative that my own teacher gave me 63/70 for. Nearly word for word the same!

History was marked incredibly hard too, the highest in the class receiving 60 something per cent.

They were probably just trying not to give us big heads though, I hope :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

definitely marked way too hard but still, their only mocks... itd be worse if you got more in your mocks than in your leaving tbh, even if u still got your course.. at least if u did shiit in the mocks and you go up 150 points u'll have achieved something!

also if u do good in them theres added pressure on u to get more points! :eek:

anyway they get paid F all for correcting the mocks, would you go through it with a fine-comb??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Every one in our english year pretty much got between 48-68, and they were marked crazyily hard, some people got 5/20 for the unseen poem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Our Spanish and Maths were marked terribly.

With Maths, the corrector awarded random marks without reading our answers and awarded amounts that werent even in the marking scheme.
    Our teacher re-corrected and I went from 78-82%. Marks werent added up correctly either. One girl was told she got 38% when really she got something like 75%. Our teacher wrote a letter of complaint and a 2 page question-by question analysis of what went wrong.
    That was 4 weeks ago.
    We got a reply today, apologising and offering credit to the schools account.

As for Spanish, it was very much the same thing. Marks from pages were left out of the overall grade etc. A letter of complaint was also sent, to no avail....so far.

I have a funny feeling English was marked way too easily.
    Also, reading through my Biology paper, I did see some marks that I should have gotten.

Either way, I wouldnt worry about it, I trust that the SEC will have someone experienced and well supervised correcting them this summer.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

The mocks are poorly corrected in comparison to the Leaving Cert for the most part, yes.

A lot of 3rd level students do the corrections (For example, 3rd year accounting students in WIT correcting LC business, accounting & Economic papers - FACTTTT)

Also, a lot of the marking schemes themselves are a bit dodgy. For Examcraft Chemsstry, for example, the marking scheme was a tiny, flimsy little thing and if adhered to marks fly all over the place in the wrong direction. Correct answers left out, or vague answers accepted, all sorts.

It's not like that for the real thing- those marking schemes are vast MONSTERS... and the people marking the scripts are definitely qualified :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Some of the correctors in the mocks have their own correcting scheme (well whoever corrected mine did)

When I got my history result back, one essay recieved 83/150 ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

irish was marked to easy and the corrector for economics was a joke! even skipped a whole of one of my long questions! wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

English was marked extremely hard. The highest result I heard of was 78%, and our school has an incredible rate of A1s in English in particular. I got 71% so taking the tough marking into consideration I was happy enough. Aiming for a B1/A2.

Irish was just plain weird. They marked the comprehensions way too easy for starters, nearly everyone got 70/70. The cluastuiscint was marked easy in general but the corrector never gave anyone their gaeilge marks(up to 10%). The essay and Paper 2 were marked pretty hard too, most people got in the 60's in the essay and we're joint highest honours class(some mad nerds in my class too :pac:). I don't really know what to think overall, is it an accurate indicator? I'm pretty happy with what I got(73%) as it was a night before the exam job. Hoping to get a B1/A2 in this also.

I think everything else was marked okay, perhaps French was marked a bit hard also, but nothing outrageous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

The examcraft chemistry marking scheme was awful, combined with a corrector who was poor everyone jumped more than a few %.

It is the lack of consistency which bothers me, the lowest english class in our year had the highest average score, all that is going to do is make people believe they are better than they actually are.

Also out of the 9 OL people in my class (a mix of HL and OL) 8 of us got an A1 or A2 in P2 but struggled to get a B in P1.

In one of the pass maths classes a few people jumped from Ds to As, these Examcraft and DEB places are sposed to be running a business but with such a huge lack of quality control I don't see how they can take themselves seriously.

If they were consistently marked it wouldnt be half as frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I suppose if a company's aim is to make money, then once you've got the schools to order your papers and better still pay for corrections, then you're laughing all the way to the bank.
    The market isn't exactly competitive.

I've never used those companies myself - I base all my mocks on old exam papers - sometimes from quite some time ago - adapted for syllabus changes and I correct the papers myself.

I hope your schools have written to complain about the poor marking. If not, it will be the same next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

spurious wrote: »
    I hope your schools have written to complain about the poor marking. If not, it will be the same next year.

Well our teacher thought that it was quite harsh, but she wouldn't change anyone's grade since it should motivate us to work more...:rolleyes:
    So I presume that she has no intention of reporting...I mean, it was us paying for it anyway.

But really I hope that they were just marked badly because I seriously don't know how I could do better in the real thing!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

irish was marked to easy and the corrector for economics was a joke! even skipped a whole of one of my long questions! wtf?

Sounds like we got the same correctors

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

English and Irish were marked really harshly. It seemed like the irish examiner was refusing to award marks (for objectively correct answers in the comprehension) just "coz". It was funny the difference in English grades. Half the year was marked really harshly and the highest was a B2, the other half were marked much more easily and there were As aplenty.

Biology was a joke, either marks were totted up wrong or the marking scheme was completely disregarded. I heard the examiner wasn't even a biology teacher/student, just someone with a marking scheme.

German was marked fairly, but bitchily. The examiner wrote "nicht so gut..." on one of my written pieces, which wasn't great but was hardly a disaster. Underlining the "nicht" twice was just uncalled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Most of my papers were fine, but my english was marked ridiculously easily. I got an A2 ans I could tell I didn't deserve it, I structured my interview wrong and my Macbeth answer wasn't great. The guy just kept writing "Very entertaining" on all my stuff. :pac: I know I'm funny but grade my exam properly please!

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

All mocks are not neccesarily marked by the same company.
    Iirc there's 4 or 5 that do it.
    They're marked in a rush, not overly carefully, and often by college students.
    Also, they are sometimes marked harder - a kick in the pants works wonders to motivate a student.
    Don't pay much heed to the results you get. Sure, they're important, the whole idea of the mocks is to give you an idea of an exam situation. But that's it. I'm blue in the face telling people, they are in no way an accurate indication of your current knowledge, ability or mindframe. You will be thinking differently in june, you will have studied more, you will have finished your coursework (ideally) and you will (hopefully) have calmed down a bit.
    Do not take your grades & points as what you will get in the LC. But learn from mistakes made in the exam. Keep working, or start working if that's the case (certainly was with me!) and best of luck to all in June & August.

When are results and offers this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Nanaki wrote: »
    When are results this year?

12th august according to www.examinations.ie and I suppose they'd know

^Cheers.
    Last year, I got my results same day as my 18th birthday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Nanaki wrote: »
    and offers?

i suppose the monday after the 12th.....Is that 17th august?

It is indeed, thanking you again

• Advertisement
Advertisement