Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone else wish that school started earlier and thus finished earlier?

Options
  • 21-04-2009 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭

Especially at this time of year.

School could start at 8am and finish at 2.30pm (just a half hour for lunch, that's more than enough time in fairness).

One would have much more time for playing sport, going to the pub, hanging out with friends etc.

Then there's still plenty of time left for study and tv/reading time.

What ye think?! Am I mad?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

Yep, I totally agree!

It is so unbelievably hard to get everything done after school, especially when teachers load you with homework... More time for me would be great :)
    Even that extra hour would make such a difference...I love half days...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

ye i agree to or even 30 mins earlier OR... start later and end earlier:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

jesus 9 is hard enough to wake up for!! i think they should get rid of all the stupid classes like religion and pe in 6th year.. hardly anyone does pe in my year and if u add it up its five classes a week.. alot better if we got extra classes in our choice subjects seeing that we only do them 4 days a week.

jesus 9 is hard enough to wake up for!! i think they should get rid of all the stupid classes like religion and pe in 6th year.. hardly anyone does pe in my year and if u add it up its five classes a week.. alot better if we got extra classes in our choice subjects seeing that we only do them 4 days a week.

Definitely. We have two religion classes a week, in which we doss/chat.
    It's always last class, so it is so tempting to just go home! (unfortunately my bus wouldn't be there anyway :rolleyes: )
    What a waste of time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

aine-maire wrote: »
    Definitely. We have two religion classes a week, in which we doss/chat.
    It's always last class, so it is so tempting to just go home! (unfortunately my bus wouldn't be there anyway :rolleyes: )
    What a waste of time?
    Should definitely be replaced with philosophy like in France. (let people learn about religion instead of being indoctrinated. Too sensible alas for Ireland). :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Haha, getting to school for 8am, that'd be a laugh. It seems like a great idea, doesn't it, though. I was speaking to a friend of mine who went to UCD, and they get a fair bit of flexibility in choosing their timetable it seems, so she thought the same as you OP, and went "well I'll just have all early classes, be done early, whatnot" and is regretting it bitterly now, because she's just tormenting herself having to get up so early every morning. That said, going out every night of the week is sort of normal in college, whereas it shouldn't be the norm in secondary school, so perhaps it'd be less of an issue.

As far as getting rid of "nonsense" classes go... well, tbh, I think it's nice to have a break between serious exam classes. Okay, getting off 40 minutes earlier might be nice, but what'll you be doing in those 40 minutes? Hanging out with friends, playing football? Which you would have basically been doing in PE anyway, etc...

Haha, getting to school for 8am, that'd be a laugh. It seems like a great idea, doesn't it, though. I was speaking to a friend of mine who went to UCD, and they get a fair bit of flexibility in choosing their timetable it seems, so she thought the same as you OP, and went "well I'll just have all early classes, be done early, whatnot" and is regretting it bitterly now, because she's just tormenting herself having to get up so early every morning. That said, going out every night of the week is sort of normal in college, whereas it shouldn't be the norm in secondary school, so perhaps it'd be less of an issue.
    I think you knowingly contradicted yourself there PFM! No secondary school student is going to be out drinking every night. It wouldn't be too much of a strain getting up an hour earlier.
    As far as getting rid of "nonsense" classes go... well, tbh, I think it's nice to have a break between serious exam classes. Okay, getting off 40 minutes earlier might be nice, but what'll you be doing in those 40 minutes? Hanging out with friends, playing football? Which you would have basically been doing in PE anyway, etc...
    Agree to an extent but we don't even get PE in my school?!

Ah I dunno anymore, maybe it's because I'm older now, I just feel so much time is needlessly spent in school. I know well that I could learn as much as I do there in half the time I spend there each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Start at 8, thatd mean id be getting up at 7, not so bad, some culchie type peeps would have to get up at all hours though!

Scrap double pe and those 3 classes of religion a week

Make lunch half an hour

Would be finished at about half one, home then for food, power nap if required and study, alot more study time there aswell, go to bed about half ten, sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

K4t wrote: »
    I think you knowingly contradicted yourself there PFM! No secondary school student is going to be out drinking every night. It wouldn't be too much of a strain getting up an hour earlier..
    You'd think that though. I wasn't out drinking every night in secondary school but I WAS up mad late most nights so getting up in the morning was a pain. If we were all used to going to school at 8am though it'd be fine, it's just the transition would be miserable. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I think you knowingly contradicted yourself there PFM! No secondary school student is going to be out drinking every night. It wouldn't be too much of a strain getting up an hour earlier.

Agree to an extent but we don't even get PE in my school?!

Ah I dunno anymore, maybe it's because I'm older now, I just feel so much time is needlessly spent in school. I know well that I could learn as much as I do there in half the time I spend there each day.

*glares*
    I already have to be dragged out of bed at the time I do- an hour earlier might just kill me!
    Bad enough getting up at 6.45, I don't think I could quite stomach 5.45! *shudders*

Awful, awful idea K4t.
    Although, a shorter lunchbreak's not a bad idea. It's really short in my school, so we're finished at 3.10 everyday... which is nice enough I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Up until this year, I'd have agreed with you, but now? No, I enjoy sleeping.

Also I'm not getting into this hugely, but there's NO indoctrination in any JC religion, and people who dont do it as an exam subject just seem to watch videos (In my school-a school with residential priests, and others).

People who do religion as a Leaving Cert subject, do do a bit of Philosophy, a long with things that can be seen as critical of religion (Like the Science and Religion option).

To use the word indoctrination is just complete sensationalism!...

(Primary school religion needs a lot of work though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

No, I dont agree with this because getting up at 8 is pritty hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

The only religion that I haven't studied in my 5 years at secondary school is Christianity . . . . must be too liberal and PC to teach in my school . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I would depend I think. If I was in walking distance of the school then I would say yes, but in my case, no!

I like my religion class I talk to my friends for 40 minutes and also the teacher is a good laugh too.

If schools removed religion and everyone got off 40 minutes earlier, do you think you would notice the extra 40 minutes of freedom? I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

No. No. No.
    I like sleeping and I like eating.
    Having said that, our lunch is only 40 minutes anyway, but I need those 10 minutes dammit!
    But I could not even contemplate getting up an hour earlier. I struggle with getting up at 8. My poor snooze button is worn out at this stage.

As for getting rid of RE/PE. Hmmm. I reckon you could do them until Christmas, February maybe, and then they should be turned into study periods. Our RE has nothing to do with Jesus etc anymore. We have one 80 minute period called RE, where random speakers come in to talk to us about things - today we had a lady about HIV/other STD's briefly mentioned.
    I could do without PE, but I don't really mind it. It tends to end up as an 80 minute chat period, with a bit of brisk walk/skipping/some Swedish game which involves very little movement :D (Some groups do 'real' sports, but why would you when you can, well, not.)
    If I got off earlier, I know I would just end up doing whatever, whereas if they're study periods, I might actually start to get some work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

no way, I'm not a morning person! 9 is bad enough for me, and as for proper classes instead of religion, I already have 6 english and 6 maths classes a week thank-you very much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

I would consider myself a morning person but after starting work at 7 and 8 for most days during the summer (I worked in a hotel) it really takes a toll on you in the long(ish) term.

I think rather than 9-4 if we could start at 8.45 take two 20 min breaks and finish at 3.25, also move the half day from wednesday to friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Its only a matter of getting used to it, getting up at 7 isnt much different from getting up at 8, just go to bed earlier!

Over the summer, i had to be in work for half 5 most days i was working (golf course), its just a matter of getting used to it! Finished at 2 then so the days ahead of you aswell!

Having said that, mornings after being out the night before were quite hard!

Should definitely be replaced with philosophy like in France. (let people learn about religion instead of being indoctrinated. Too sensible alas for Ireland). :rolleyes:

Indoctrinated?

A little melodramatic, I think.
    In post-primary religion we rarely talk about God. This year we don't do anything, but whenever we actually had class, we'd talk about relationships,suicide,drugs,abortion and other such uplifting topics.

From what I've heard about doing religion as an exam subject, they study other religions (as in, apart from Christianity) in detail.

And ok, in primary school we did learn our cathecism and prayers but that was a Catholic school. I mean, I'd rather that than to know nothing about the religion I belong to. At holy communion age, how are children supposed to decide on their position as regards the Creationism/Darwinism debate?!

(sorry, hope I'm not dragging the thread off-topic :o)

• Advertisement

Fad wrote: »
    Up until this year, I'd have agreed with you, but now? No, I enjoy sleeping.

Also I'm not getting into this hugely, but there's NO indoctrination in any JC religion, and people who dont do it as an exam subject just seem to watch videos (In my school-a school with residential priests, and others).

People who do religion as a Leaving Cert subject, do do a bit of Philosophy, a long with things that can be seen as critical of religion (Like the Science and Religion option).

To use the word indoctrination is just complete sensationalism!...

(Primary school religion needs a lot of work though!)
    aine-maire wrote: »
    Indoctrinated?

A little melodramatic, I think.
    In post-primary religion we rarely talk about God. This year we don't do anything, but whenever we actually had class, we'd talk about relationships,suicide,drugs,abortion and other such uplifting topics.

From what I've heard about doing religion as an exam subject, they study other religions (as in, apart from Christianity) in detail.

And ok, in primary school we did learn our cathecism and prayers but that was a Catholic school. I mean, I'd rather that than to know nothing about the religion I belong to. At holy communion age, how are children supposed to decide on their position as regards the Creationism/Darwinism debate?!

(sorry, hope I'm not dragging the thread off-topic :o)
    I was exaggerating slightly. I had a religion teacher for a while this year who tried to make us say prayers before class and do spiritual services at easter in class. Grounds for indoctrination methinks! Psycho bitch tbh but we have a different teacher now.

Everything in Catholic schools is done through the Catholic faith (e.g. Grad mass songs are prayers turned into songs ffs!)/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭-Els-

I'm in at 8.30 3 days a week, The way my bus goes and everything it means I have to get up at 6 and you think "oh 6, its only an hour later" but you get so tired... especially if you're up late the night before! Its not so bad now because its bright but when it used to be dark and rainy during the winter and I had to get up and the birds weren't even up it was incredibly depressing and I used to hate it.

Although it could be a good idea in some places where the traffic is really bad in the morning, because you'd fly in in the morning! When I'm in at 9.30 it takes me an hour to get to school because of traffic, only takes 20 mins when I'm in at 8.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I was exaggerating slightly. I had a religion teacher for a while this year who tried to make us say prayers before class and do spiritual services at easter in class. Grounds for indoctrination methinks! Psycho bitch tbh but we have a different teacher now.

Everything in Catholic schools is done through the Catholic faith (e.g. Grad mass songs are prayers turned into songs ffs!)/

In my entire time in secondary school, not including masses, I have had one teacher who got us to pray, and that was because a student died, and she was kinda freaked out about it.

No songs at my grad mass :) (Hopefully)

(Actually we'll have that "And GO tell everyone the news of the kingdom of god has come" one, but that's sung at rugby matches so we're kinda odd like that)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

well tbh, I'm more of a night person. I function much better from 2am onwards....Why not start school then? That leaves like, all day for doing stuff!

Starting school earlier? Lol, I can barely get up as it is :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

timmywex wrote: »
    Its only a matter of getting used to it, getting up at 7 isnt much different from getting up at 8, just go to bed earlier!

Over the summer, i had to be in work for half 5 most days i was working (golf course), its just a matter of getting used to it! Finished at 2 then so the days ahead of you aswell!

Having said that, mornings after being out the night before were quite hard!

what's the point if you're going to bed earlier? same amount of time then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I'm so glad I went to a multidenominational school (actually I'm still in it... but only for four more weeks! Thank Buddha!). None of this ****e about religion etc, they've even become less strict on sixth years going to PE. I haven't actually gone all year.

what's the point if you're going to bed earlier? same amount of time then

I found i always work better when its nice out actually! Weird i know, i hate studyiing when its raining out or during the winter when its all dark and the like,suits perfectly though coming up to exams! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭imfreein09

no tats a fair idea. my school is a nitemare, starts at 9-5 then study either 6-9 or 7-10 so u get home and u are so tired each evening

Advertisement