If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is the better?

Options
  • 21-04-2009 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Yamaha DSP-AX763
    Onkyo TX-SR606
    Denon 1909

The above 3 amps I have been looking into. From reading endless reviews and threads it seems that the Yamaha comes out tops. There is some minor difference between it and the other two (hdmi ports, upscaling) but it still came out tops.

I had a look instore today at the Yamaha and Onkyo. As far as looks go the Onkyo looks a bit better. Orange display on a black unit just looks manky :P

Both unit were hooked up to
    Jamo S506HCS6 speakers. However the Yamaha I had to turn over half way full volume in order to hear something as apposed to the Onkyo kicking out nicely.

Bottom line would be which it the best? After reading tons of info and seeing both units perform (i did not get a chance to experience the Denon) I am now inbetween minds which one to get.

My first choice was the Yamaha but now I'm not so sure and dont want to buy one, then get home, install it and sit down and say I should have gotten the other.

Main usage would by SkyHD, PS3 Bluray and some XB360 & Wii gaming.

What I was looking at was the Yamaha coupled with the Jamo's.

What are you views? Which would you say would be the best one to go for and why?

Thanks,

Anthony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Hi,
    Can't go into specifics but I would still go for the Yamaha over the others. They are all good amps but I think the pedigree of the Yamaha would sway me every time.

Can't believe you think the Yamaha is manky though, I've always considered the Onkyo amps to look awful but to be honest looks would not be part of my reason for ruling any amp out.

I sure if you got the Yamaha home and set up to your liking any worries you might have would disappear pretty quickly.

Not much help to you but good luck and let us know what you decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Anthony C

The yamaha is not ugly looking though but the orange led i think just looks manky. Blue would have looked much better :P

I read some more forums today and app. the menu functionality is not that great on the Yamaha?

I had a Harmon Kardon before I loved it. I'm now looking into the 255 model. Any views on that?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

This is being moved to the Home Entertainment Forum as a general query, you'll probably get more opinions there.

Ritz.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Anthony & Moll & Ritzy!

The query unfortunately is becoming a little academic now as all this 3 receivers are very shortly becoming discontinued.

The Onkyo appears to be completely dead with no further stock available at all from Onkyo UK at least and the new 607 coming in the 1st week of May (I've attached the full spec sheet for you guys below).

The Denon 1909 is now discontinued in black and I understand that there may be one final shipment from Denon UK left in silver before the 1910 is launched in June (I will have full details on it later today/tomorrow and I understand that it is going to be a UK tuned model that we will receive in Ireland and the UK).

The Yamaha I'm not so sure of the stock position ( I know I haven't got any :mad:) however I understand that Yam are launching their new range at the moment as well.

All 3 receivers were classics I think, amazing that 3 Manufacturers appeared to crack out brilliant receivers at the smae sort of money at the same time and it will be even more interesting to see which of the new generation - all expected within the next month wins the war this time!!!

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Anthony C

Thanks for the reply John.

So really no point at looking at any of them then? Out of them, which was the best one?

I cant see the attached specs for the new 1910?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

@Anthony C,

I take it from your reply that your query was actually intended for richersounds...... so, as if by magic, it's back here again !

Soz for any confusion...... :)

Ritz.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.