Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign people with Irish accents (sort of).

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Damn immigrants coming over here and taking all of our accents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭omyatari

'dey took rrrr' accents' (angry south park redneck mob)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

whaaas der staaary bud is my favourite saying. for some reason it makes Irish people laugh to here me say it:confused:

I also like to add in the odd "How's she cuttin", "I will in me shoite" and "Ask me hole" just to add to the effect.

I can't do it in an Irish accent thoguh, I sound like a Pakistani if i do:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

:pac: Brilliant.

I think it's a good thing, a lot of the lithuanian and chinese kids here in Dunshaughlin have picked up the Irish accent. I saw a kid on the news who won some art award, he had a half Lituanian half Roscommon accent. Made him easier to understand than your average person from Ros:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I remember some oul fellas telling me a story outside a pub once..

They said they were down at a festival in cork, drinking like fishes and just partying in general. A few of them were trying to toss 20 pence coins into a tin can a few meters away.. the first person to get a 20 pence coin in, won everything that had been thrown. Obviously they were all pished so no one was doing all that well, but there was quite a few pound on the ground!

So they notice this indian guy standing there watching them, and they turn around and ask him slowly and clearly if he wants a go, they then spell out the rules, giving him all the hand gestures etc so he'd understand what they were saying.

The indian guy throws his 20 pence coin, it lands in the tin and he turns to the lads and says "Thanks alot bai" in a heavy cork accent.

They laughed and he took their money

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

My grandparents used to rent holiday homes up in Donegal years ago and once this couple from Cork with really heavy Cork accents were staying there. They were in having a cup of tea with my grandparents and my Great-grandmother was sitting there listening to them talk, not saying a word.

When they left the room she turned to my grandmother and asked "Are those two from Jamaica?"

Also - used to know a Scandanavian girl who I taught some Dublin slang to. Being described as 'an eejit' in a heavy Norwegian accent is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    My grandparents used to rent holiday homes up in Donegal years ago and once this couple from Cork with really heavy Cork accents were staying there. They were in having a cup of tea with my grandparents and my Great-grandmother was sitting there listening to them talk, not saying a word.

When they left the room she turned to my grandmother and asked "Are those two from Jamaica?"

My wife is from Wicklow and when I take her home to see some friends from Mayo she just nods and stares.

No idea what anyone is saying until she can tune her ear into their accent.

As a barman of many years in the States, when the phone would ring, I would have to tune my ear into 'which county' someone was from and then start elimintaing people until I figured out who was at the other end of the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Latchy wrote: »
    She did sould like she was from D4 ... a bit :)

Remember seeing the documentry about the Irish troops in lebanon and they had a ' mingy ' shop .The young lebanese girl grew up surrounded by dublin accents and spoke with a kinda inner city type dublin accent

ie ' young wans...there's younfelliss '' . :)

Mairt will confirm this ...were are you Mairt .?
    Mairt is no longer here.
    Look away.

Was coming home from town one night and got in a taxi the driver was nigerian and you could hear he was starting to pick up the dubllin accent he was sayn stuf like 'No Bother' and its ****in rappit and a guy walked infront of the car and he says 'fuking Mauritian get outta the way' Picking up the habits aswel ha
    I was wondering who the Nigerians hated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I meet lots of Polish fishermen when I'm out fishing, a few of them are here long enough to have picked up the accent. Funniest is hearing "Ah jaysus, the fishing's ****e" in a Galway accent from one of them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

My Dad is from a generation where he's used to people of different races in Ireland having poor english or english with a strong foreign accent, which generally leads to my Dad speaking in broken english everytime we go to a chinese restaurant (even if the waiter has clearly understood every1else's order in the family without broken english).

But it gets worse when he comes to America, where theres people of different races who would be 3rd/4th generation who have perfect american accents he still does it out of habit, its pretty funny to see the confused/awkward faces on the waiters and waitress'.

A couple a of weeks, we were in Little Italy in Boston and as we're walking into a restaurant, we see a sign seeing "Apologies, American Express or cash only", my dad didnt have either, so when the hostess asked for a table of how many in a perfect american accent, my dad pulls out his wallet and starts pointing into it, waving his hands saying "No Cash, No Cash"...all you can do is just laugh...my dad is crazy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I have a few polish friends who learnt their english in Dublin and their accent is fantastic. It's a strange thing to hear a dublin accent from a pole. Brilliant but strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Nothing is as funny/frustrating as calling up a Chinese Takeaway in Montreal, and trying to understand the accent of someone who's first language is Cantonese, and who's second language is Quebecois French, and you're trying to order something in English 'cause you don't know what it's called in French.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I know a Romanian lad, and he still has a fairly stong accent when he speaks english, except for when he curses...then it's pure dub. Picked it up on the building sites.hilarious.hard to keep a straight face when he's complaing about someone/something. And then it annoys him even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Xiney wrote: »
    Nothing is as funny/frustrating as calling up a Chinese Takeaway in Montreal, and trying to understand the accent of someone who's first language is Cantonese, and who's second language is Quebecois French, and you're trying to order something in English 'cause you don't know what it's called in French.

Les Noodles avec poulet curry et frits sil vous plait.

no problem :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

I am living with my wife in the North, and my (asian) wife has picked up a very strong Northern Irish accent.

A few weeks back she was back home and met up with some of her (native) english speaking ex-colleagues, and she had them on the floor with her accent. One could hardly understand her, and one of the scots had to translate. Very funny... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Find eastern european girls and middle eastern men sound very dublin sometimes,and the ones up north pick up that accent quickly too

Advertisement