Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics

Options
  • 21-04-2009 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Any tips for what may come up this year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.:FuZion:.

Really hard to guess the experiments but eh:

1. a proportional to F / g by freefall / Boyles law ( aint come up in 5 years ) / conservation of momentum.
    2. Snells law / Fundamental frequency of stretched string ( length or tension ) / Speed of sound in air.
    3. Heat capacity of a metal / LH of vapourisation
    4. Resistivity of wire / Current vs PD / possibly Joules law.

Section 2 eh:

5 Short
    6 Alot to do with UVAST equations
    7 Heat Capacity and LH etc...
    8 Resistance etc mabye
    9 Guessing question on fission / fusion / neuton ect...
    10 Option
    11 STS ( Anything really )
    12 Mix

Dont even know if this helps ya bud but this is what im having a guess at. :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭jkbrackens11

The experiments are a bit broad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Are you serious? A bit broad? I've to learn around 60+ experiments as I'm doing the 3 sciences. Hows that for broad? Stop being so bloody lazy.

I know man. But if you look at the years, they are really spread out and there is no real pattern. Thats why I said they are really hard to guess. :pac: Thats as best as I could guess without leaving out stuff.

Are you serious? A bit broad? I've to learn around 60+ experiments as I'm doing the 3 sciences. Hows that for broad? Stop being so bloody lazy.

Someone got my back. :pac: I feel sorry for ya man. Best of luck with em thou. :cool:

• Advertisement

I can't help being lazy:DI'll get on anyway I should be okay guys thanks!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

You picked the 3 sciences, stop complaining.

You picked the 3 sciences, stop complaining.

Far from complaining, I love the sciences, why do you think I picked all 3? :p
    I just can't stand people being lazy then whinging about not being able to be more lazy while other people are actually working...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Far from complaining, I love the sciences, why do you think I picked all 3? :p
    I just can't stand people being lazy then whinging about not being able to be more lazy while other people are actually working...
    You were suggesting it's a load of work, whereas everyone who's doing the same number of subjects is (supposedly) doing the same amount of work as each other, so it's a moot point. So unless you're doing the 3 sciences on your own outside school, you're not doing anything extraordinary. : p

And well, people whinging are just going to do poorly in the future. Maybe one day they'll learn to stop whinging and start working. Until then, those who do work will do better, and need not be concerned.

As a matter of fact I am doing Physics outside of school!!lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

SHM is likely to come up but I don't know, I'm not that keen on predictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Aside from the experiments which came up last year probably won't come up again. I wouldn't be counting on anything else really, just take the safest option, learn all of it.

I'll do my best. I can learn formulae just applying them is my problem:(

Fringe wrote: »
    SHM is likely to come up but I don't know, I'm not that keen on predictions.

Came up 2007 long, but possibly.
    Des23 wrote: »
    Aside from the experiments which came up last year probably won't come up again. I wouldn't be counting on anything else really, just take the safest option, learn all of it.

Yeah seems the safest option tbh. But like you said, I dont think last years will anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

.:FuZion:. wrote: »
    6 Alot to do with UVAST equations

Thats what I'm hoping. The mechanics has been very focussed on Newton and Circular motion and stuff for too long.

Thats what I'm hoping. The mechanics has been very focussed on Newton and Circular motion and stuff for too long.

Yeah I agree. It is very due up. Lets hope. :D

Keep posting in here guys, the convo seems to be going well. See what other tips / hints we can mabye come up with...

Resistance has come up every year in some form in question 8 or 9....

Resistance has come up every year in some form in question 8 or 9....

Yeah man. Well spotted. :D Anything else..?

Think any question could come up about the experiment the CERN experiment.? Possibly the STS question with the little paragraph??

STS?? Doppler effect will rbably be asked and capacitance and Electromagnetic Induction has been up all years too I think.

STS?? Doppler effect will rbably be asked and capacitance and Electromagnetic Induction has been up all years too I think.

STS is Science and Technology in Society, normally Q.11 if you have a look through the years. Gives a little paragraph and you have questions kinda relating to the paragraph. Nice question to pick up some marks on.

Yeah I hope they come up anyways. Some are nice questions to be answering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

.:FuZion:. wrote: »
    Yeah man. Well spotted. :D Anything else..?

Think any question could come up about the experiment the CERN experiment.? Possibly the STS question with the little paragraph??

While it is certainly a possibility what would they be able to ask....actually on the 'revised sample paper Feb 2002' there is a question (10 (a) ) on particle accelerators...worth a look.

Also it would fit in with the whole 'what you learn in school is applicable to everyday situations/what you see on tv' kind of ethos they have in the science subjects

Des23 wrote: »
    While it is certainly a possibility what would they be able to ask....actually on the 'revised sample paper Feb 2002' there is a question (10 (a) ) on particle accelerators...worth a look.

Also it would fit in with the whole 'what you learn in school is applicable to everyday situations/what you see on tv' kind of ethos they have in the science subjects

Perfect question that is. Well worth a look is right. Yeah it would fit that in perfectly.

http://public.web.cern.ch/public/en/LHC/LHC-en.html --> Have a look at that paragraph. Nice little piece, could be introduced. Talks about the fundamental forces of nature / hadrons etc.. Worth a read. Questions could defo be asked on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I'll do my best. I can learn formulae just applying them is my problem:(

Wanna sit the exams together.:D I can't remember any of the formulae but can apply it no bother, hence why I'm considering Ordinary (only got 30% in the mocks aswell:()

Particle physics is up every year, and tbh, it's quite easy! If you're looking for easy marks, i'd be looking there...

Resistance up every year so far, capacitance every year except '03, Nuclear energy/Radioactivity also up every year... Electromagnetic induction, conduction in materials, Density/Pressure up the last 5 years in a row. Doppler effect and current in a magnetic field last 4 years....

Particle physics is up every year, and tbh, it's quite easy! If you're looking for easy marks, i'd be looking there...

Resistance up every year so far, capacitance every year except '03, Nuclear energy/Radioactivity also up every year... Electromagnetic induction, conduction in materials, Density/Pressure up the last 5 years in a row. Doppler effect and current in a magnetic field last 4 years....

Thanks man!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dish

Despise physics, actually cant do the subject atall! haha!

Advertisement