Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the area of The Mandela Hall like?

Options
  • 21-04-2009 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭

Yo all,
    Going to a metal event at The Mandela Hall on University Road on Saturday night, and was wondering what's it like? Is it in a loyalist, nationalist, or neutral area?

I'm not going to say anything anyway, but if it was in a loyalist area, I'd ensure I didn't stray for a bag of chips, or say anything really to anyone.

/edit
    I think that it's at the corner of University Road, and University Terrance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Probably one of the most 'neutral' (if we can use that term lol) areas of Belfast. It's opposite the university, in the heart of where all us students live!. It's not an area where you should be terribly concerned about being loyalist, nationalist or otherwise. :)

As for snacks, there are loads of places in the area with savage chips :P

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

As pow wow says, it's a very neutral area, as it's the student area in Belfast.

Loyalist Sandy Row and Donegal Rd is probably the only area you would be worried about nearby, and you shouldn't really need to go in that direction.

If you're heading out for snacks after the gig, easiest place to get food is Shaftsbury square or Lisburn Road. Shaftsbury Square is usually quite busy on Saturday night so will be a few police vehicles out, but unless you're looking for trouble you'll be grand! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

the_syco wrote: »
    Yo all,
    Going to a metal event at The Mandela Hall on University Road on Saturday night, and was wondering what's it like? Is it in a loyalist, nationalist, or neutral area?

I'm not going to say anything anyway, but if it was in a loyalist area, I'd ensure I didn't stray for a bag of chips, or say anything really to anyone.

/edit
    I think that it's at the corner of University Road, and University Terrance.

What area are you staying in? Mandela Hall is in the Students union. The only trouble you may have is outside, since it's a student area, is that you may get referred to as 'boss' of 'chief' which may result in you wanting to smack them.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    What area are you staying in? Mandela Hall is in the Students union. The only trouble you may have is outside, since it's a student area, is that you may get referred to as 'boss' of 'chief' which may result in you wanted to smack them.

lol neither are terms I've ever come across in that context :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What area are you staying in? Mandela Hall is in the Students union. The only trouble you may have is outside, since it's a student area, is that you may get referred to as 'boss' of 'chief' which may result in you wanting to smack them.
    I ain't staying :D Bus up, bus back :cool: As for "boss" and "chief", I've found their ilk also call me "high tower" :rolleyes:

I know, well, none of the area, so hope Sandy Row and Donegal Rd ain't nearby. I'll look for Shaftsbury square and Lisburn Roadon on Google maps. The only places I've been to have been Aunt Annies, and the pub to the right of Spring Break, for gigs, which are near some cinema. Yeah, very vague :pac:

• Advertisement

If you're standing facing the SU with QUB behind you, Shaftesbury Square is on the same the road to your right (recommend Fookin Noodle Bar!), whilst Lisburn Road runs parallel to the road your standing on, but behind the SU (i.e. walk down the street to the left of the SU and you'll end up on Lisburn Road)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I know, well, none of the area, so hope Sandy Row and Donegal Rd ain't nearby. I'll look for Shaftsbury square and Lisburn Roadon on Google maps.

I'd avoid Shaftsbury Square. You'll be ok there but the sight of cop cars and police can be an intimidating experience if you're not a local. Plenty of 's*** in a tray* merchants on the Lisburn Road. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

pow wow wrote: »
    Probably one of the most 'neutral' (if we can use that term lol) areas of Belfast. It's opposite the university, in the heart of where all us students live!. It's not an area where you should be terribly concerned about being loyalist, nationalist or otherwise. :)

As for snacks, there are loads of places in the area with savage chips :P

totally agree with pow wow, the chips are pretty awesome, reccomendations, if ya want the traditional sexy chip, that ya feel is sexy when your hammered, has to be sopranoes, if your facing the students union, cross the road behind ya and keep walking to your left cant miss it

abit more upper class and abit away and still very dirty, is esperantos, facing queens union head to the left keep walking ull be walking up a road cross that road and keep walking thenyoull eventually meet it its by a centra

dont really no why i told ya were the good chip shops are.

anyways dont worry bout the area, its pure neutral, all students, i live bout a 3 minute walk from mandela hall. belfast and mandela are great spots dont worry bout it

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Street view ftw

Just drunk QUB students in the area, beware :)

Good pub nearby

I'd avoid Shaftsbury Square. You'll be ok there but the sight of cop cars and police can be an intimidating experience if you're not a local. Plenty of 's*** in a tray* merchants on the Lisburn Road. :)

Some would call it exciting, and the drunken students are gradually filtering away as the semester is almost over :D

• Advertisement

its abit of craic, cant beat shafstbury square, except for that disgusting chinese, hate it

Magnus wrote: »
    Street view ftw

Just drunk QUB students in the area, beware :)

Good pub nearby

dont forget university of ulster, st marys, stranmillis college, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Gym instrutor

This really annoys me guys im from Belfast born and raised in the playground is were I spent most of my days. Id be more concerned about the students than the so called "Loyalists","Nationalists" and if you do wonder of the wrong beaten track places like the Donegal road and Sandy Row arent as bad as people make out. In actual fact there is some of the nicest people in the world that live there.

I guess I didnt expect anything else from a typical Southern forum.....ive actuall found Dublin alot rougher on a sat night than Belfast to be honest.

Enjoy your night, Mandela Hall is a great venue and try Laverys in shaftsbury square its extremley safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Chill out lads.

regob, we dont need to see details posted of a specific incident that is dragging this thread off topic.

Lets leave it at that.

sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

This really annoys me guys im from Belfast born and raised in the playground is were I spent most of my days. Id be more concerned about the students than the so called "Loyalists","Nationalists" and if you do wonder of the wrong beaten track places like the Donegal road and Sandy Row arent as bad as people make out. In actual fact there is some of the nicest people in the world that live there.
    Would they be nice to someone from the south with a strong southern accent? The reason I asked was to ensure I have a good time up there.

Me offending someone takes a back seat to my personal safety. I know a few people from the nationalist areas, and they just say to stay clear of X and Y area to be on the safe side. In the venue itself it'll be ok: in a metal venue, I've found you talk about metal, and politics don't come into it.

I think it's an unfortunate reality that these things do concern people the Republic, but as the the_syco said no offence was specifically intended. You're right that all large cities have their bad spots and bad people, but when you're from outside the six counties the dynamic that primarily concerns you is inevitably the loyalist/nationalist one.

Of course once the_syco comes up here and has a great time he can go home and spread the word that it's really not as dangerous as the news makes it out to be. :) Not ideal I know, but a step in the right direction I think you'll agree?

Would they be nice to someone from the south with a strong southern accent? The reason I asked was to ensure I have a good time up there.

Me offending someone takes a back seat to my personal safety. I know a few people from the nationalist areas, and they just say to stay clear of X and Y area to be on the safe side. In the venue itself it'll be ok: in a metal venue, I've found you talk about metal, and politics don't come into it.

Alot of people from Nationalists areas and Loyalists are numptys to be honest. Ive family in those areas and I work with people from those areas and they usually dont see things from the other side. I went to an intergrated school so ive friends from both sides anyway this is going off topic.

You wont be risking your personal safety mate going to be Mandela hall unless you get on like a prick.

Belfast is not Iraq and its a great city with alot of nice people, its not our fault you dont know.

pow wow wrote: »
    I think it's an unfortunate reality that these things do concern people the Republic, but as the the_syco said no offence was specifically intended. You're right that all large cities have their bad spots and bad people, but when you're from outside the six counties the dynamic that primarily concerns you is inevitably the loyalist/nationalist one.

Of course once the_syco comes up here and has a great time he can go home and spread the word that it's really not as dangerous as the news makes it out to be. :) Not ideal I know, but a step in the right direction I think you'll agree?

Yeah well said its not the guys fault I know that. Its the way the city is looked at through the media. From crap films to news papers etc. I will say one thing dont go to Derry guys its alot madder than Belfast will ever be!

• Advertisement

Just to keep it light hearted guys we dont all get on like this....................................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUNDvAGWMkY&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJzT_Fssy30&feature=related

Very funny!

Yeah well said its not the guys fault I know that. Its the way the city is looked at through the media. From crap films to news papers etc. I will say one thing dont go to Derry guys its alot madder than Belfast will ever be!

mate i would actually disagree with this, derry is quite a sound city, i grew up bout twenty minutes form it. like ive never had any trouble

but maybe this is just me

peoples experiences in cities do differ in the end of the day

mate i would actually disagree with this, derry is quite a sound city, i grew up bout twenty minutes form it. like ive never had any trouble

but maybe this is just me

peoples experiences in cities do differ in the end of the day

I lived in Coleraine for two years and id rather go to prison than live in it again. Its about 30 min drive from Coleraine to Derry and I loved Derry its a gorgeous city. And I thougt about moving there at one point. But me and my friend had a really bad weekend and realised that the majority of people that go out at the weekend there are headers. And I will never go back at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Can we get back on topic again please.

If anyone wants to discuss Derry then it has it's own forum.

Cheers.

I lived in Coleraine for two years and id rather go to prison than live in it again. Its about 30 min drive from Coleraine to Derry and I loved Derry its a gorgeous city. And I thougt about moving there at one point. But me and my friend had a really bad weekend and realised that the majority of people that go out at the weekend there are headers. And I will never go back at night.

sure mate well agree to disagree and get this back on topic

sure mate well agree to disagree and get this back on topic

All right mucker sure we will just give a rest. Up ur pipe wee man! :rolleyes:

there was no need for that, i go out at nights in derry city when im back home and never had any problems, think its a great spot

That's enough to-ing and fro-ing and misunderstanding for everyone I think. Enjoy your night in Belfast the_syco!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement