Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3mb Eircom-enough for Xbox live?

• 21-04-2009 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭

looks like our house is finally BB-enabled! thing is, will 3mb be enough for xbox live? i have no idea how fast it really is...i presume the 1mb is completely out of the question....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    looks like our house is finally BB-enabled! thing is, will 3mb be enough for xbox live? i have no idea how fast it really is...i presume the 1mb is completely out of the question....

3mb is more then enough for live, im using 2. 1mb will propably work fine aswell as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

1Mb works fine for me, so I'm sure 3Mb will do you :)

I think there's problems with 7Mb though. Stupidly high pings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

3MB works fine for me. I used to play Xbox Live on Eircom's 521MB back in the day and that worked fine. :D

Hope you have fun online. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

sounds great, i was afraid of a situation of having a up to 3mb connection and really only getting half that or less! it will be a while yet before ill be on xbox live gaming but looking forward to it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

works grand for me to. Xbox live is class. Well worth the price. Tis cheap anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

3 years ago I was using an Eircom 512k connection on Live no problem, no lag at all but I could not host a game only join them but that was back in the day when their pings were good.

terrific, has anyone used speedtest.net to test their eircom connections? its a good way of discovering how well its performing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

3 is plenty, you'll be able to play live and others can use the wifi to surf/download without any probs too, i'm on 2 and i can do it. in fact save yourself some money and just get 2mb. get your live sub online for much cheaper too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I have 3mb from Eircom and it works just fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Yep, 3mb is great. I'm on it, but a few months ago I was on 1mb and that was grand. I've noticed a huge improvement from the 1 - 3mb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

3mb is fine. 1mb is grand 90% of the time. Unless playing a game like Rainbox 6 and hosting it.

Most of the popular games have there own servers now. Which is a good thing.

A good ping is more important if you ask me. I've UPC now, had Eircom 3mb, now 20mb UPC, but the ping isn't as good. So the odd game lags now and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

I've the 1mb service, which actually runs at about 800kbs according to speedtest.net. And its fine. Only lags occasionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

It depends what you are looking to do hosting most games is not going to be the best but you still can if you so choose.
    But if your just planning on joining games 3mb is perfect.
    I use a 3mb line and its superb for most games

EG.
    Gears of war1 and 2(depending on where host is from)
    Call of Duty 4
    G.R.I.D
    GtaIV
    and thats just a few I can think of

So yes man your sorted with a 3mb:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Desmondo2000

I have 7 meg eircom and get lag regularly on most shooters really annoying when your unloading a whole clip on someone and they take you out with what seems like 2 shots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

i have a 3mb line and it works fine with upto 5 computers connected to the same network for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I have 7 meg eircom and get lag regularly on most shooters really annoying when your unloading a whole clip on someone and they take you out with what seems like 2 shots

I feel your pain brother!
    I have the NTL/UPC 20mb/1.5 and anytime I get picked as host playing live matched on COD4 the whole thing lags bigtime. 99 times out of 100 I get the "team0 forefitting in 20 seconds" and if i quit the game I get the "host ended game" message on screen.
    The xbox is set up on my router as dmz so it's not a problem with my settings.
    It's really irritating when it happens.
    I have even started to use juggernaut a lot :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Thats because your ping to the host is god awful and possibly your connection isnt fully performing as a 7mb.

Also ntl bb connections are not guaranteed to be a 20mb it says it in the Terms and Conditions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Evolute wrote: »
    Thats because your ping to the host is god awful and possibly your connection isnt fully performing as a 7mb.

Also ntl bb connections are not guaranteed to be a 20mb it says it in the Terms and Conditions

I hear ya brother. people get confused with the "I have 20meg line" and forget about the ping. ah Im druink and going for a game of bad company. add me if ya want seanybiker:)

well, we got the broadband installed, its running very well at about 2.6 meg (out of 3).
    i got the wii and 360 up and running as well as the pcs. im on live but dont have any games i really want to play online bar maybe street fighter 4 but ill need some practice first, my skills are stale :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭shanec1928

i have 1mb and it works perfect for me

happy gaming

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭dfer

Hi guys,

Im a newbie to xbox live and am having seriously slow speeds on my 7mb eircom bb connection.

When i play Farcry and im asked to download a new map before i play and it usually takes over 4 mins.....?

I've done a speed test and im not suprised by results -

DL Speed 1.08 mb

Upload Speed .07 mb

And ping wait for it.....................120ms !!! :eek:

Does anyone know have any tips or anything please.

Thanks

thats terrible mate, you will have to call eircom about that. if they can't fix the problem, maybe its time to switch ISP or downgrade to eircom's 1MB service. like i said, the 3mb i got is always around the 2.6mb figure and online gaming is absolutely perfect at that speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭dfer

Thanks corcaigh07, i rang eircom today and explained the situation to them.

He checked out the line and told me that its running at 0.60mb. He's sent an engineer out to have a look at exchange line. Hopefully it gets fixed this week.

Word to the wise, the eircom guy told me that the 7mb line might be overkill in my area..... but i'll wait to hear from the eircom engineer for the final say. :cool:

Advertisement