Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Counties - Who Subsidises Who?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

futurehope wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for the feedback and links chaps. However, I can't seem to get my hands on exactly what I'm looking for, which is Ireland's equivalent of the following:

http://www.channel4.com/news/article.jsp?id=1041867

(see table)

It might be that I'm too thick to analyse the data provided, or perhaps the exact figures I require aren't available for Ireland in the form I require?
    Let me first stress I'm no expert - I've just followed an amateur interest in this kind of stuff, which is how I came across that CSO regional income document. So maybe the information you want does exist somewhere.

If you pick page 7 of the CSO document, you’ll get something vaguely equivalent to the first column of the Channel 4 table if you deduct ‘taxes’ from ‘social transfers’. But, you’ll understand, there’s always that question of what exactly is included as Government expenditure and taxes. For instance, the CSO document (as I understand it) is only counting expenditure that counts as a social transfer. That might include spending on education, but probably doesn’t include roads.

I’m not aware of any information equivalent to the “Discretionary spending per head” or “Money received relative to need” columns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭zesman

I could be a million miles, or km's, out here but I remember reading that per head of population Dublin has the least resources in the country. Again I could be a million miles from the mark and fully expect to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

This post has been deleted.
    No different from the Scottish Highlands or other such remote parts of Europe then.

Dublin has been starved of its money for too long. That's why it is such a poor relation compared to other european capitals. Time to spend Dublin's money on Dublin for a few years and build up her infrastructure so she can function as a city should!

Donegal is not urban. It is a rural county. That's just the way it is. Companies want to locate in urban centres where there are a large pool of potentially skilled workers. Unless we roll the clock back to pre-civilisation we can't escape this fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

oscarBravo wrote: »
    ...and let three million people move to Dublin to look for work.
    Quit honestly, Dublin people don't care what you do so long as you take your hands out of their pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

zesman wrote: »
    I could be a million miles, or km's, out here but I remember reading that per head of population Dublin has the least resources in the country. Again I could be a million miles from the mark and fully expect to be corrected.

As is the case all over the world in every single country that is anything more then a city state like say Singapore.

The only other solution would be not to build roads or have services in rural areas, lest they get more "per head of population" then urban areas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement