Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the difference?

Options
  • 21-04-2009 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

In tesco earlier I saw two lads leaving with 12 bottles of vodka.

There are laws preventing bars and clubs from being irresponsible with the selling of alcohol but supermarkets can charge whatever they like, and sell as much as they like.

Laws should be changed imo.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

they should. the pubs should change. youre right it doesnt make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Ok, but whats to stop each guy walking in and out of the store 6 times?

And what if they were buying the vodka for a party with 100 guests?

Nanny state ftl.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Maybe they were buying it for their pub/nightclub, buy for cash so undeclared for income tax when they re sell it for a few hundred percent profit.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

FFS the pub staff dont say you've had enough after a set number of drinks, it goes by the condition of the drinker. I assume the fella buying the vodka was sober, so why would they shop him. If the fella was full drunk and buying more drink in tesco i could see the need for this thread, this case i dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Maybe they need it to wash down a few swan burgers. :D
    Was it big bottles or naggens? They could be going through one a week, and were just stocking up.
    Or be going for the world record for largest white Russian.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Senna wrote: »
    FFS the pub staff dont say you've had enough after a set number of drinks, it goes by the condition of the drinker. I assume the fella buying the vodka was sober, so why would they shop him. If the fella was full drunk and buying more drink in tesco i could see the need for this thread, this case i dont.

How clever and witty you are.

What I am referring to though is the law that says that pubs can't have happy hours and have restrictions on pricing policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭i didn't do it

There are laws preventing bars and clubs from being irresponsible with the selling of alcohol but supermarkets can charge whatever they like, and sell as much as they like.

What I am referring to though is the law that says that pubs can't have happy hours and have restrictions on pricing policies.
    where do you say that:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

What's the difference?

The supermarket staff don't allow the two men to drink the 12 bottles in the space of 4-5 hours on their premises.

Maybe they were, as said, stocking up for a party.

where do you say that:confused::confused:

Didn't think I needed to tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Does this question mean that you dont see the loop hole?

I like hoop rolls.

Andrex ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Presumably you will drink Alcohol bought in a Supermarket in your own home, or someone elses home. Then you only have a duty of care to yourself. A pub has a Duty of Care for everyone in there, therefore if you get too drunk your booted out.

If drink is too cheap, you will get too drunk, therefore, have a big price in a Club/pub, people don't get as drunk as when it's €2 a drink/

Makes Sense TBH.

Also, Pubs and Clubs have other Overhead cost's that Supermarkets don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I think we're missing the bigger picture here.

Does Tesco have a promotion on for vodka?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

TheZohan wrote: »
    I think we're missing the bigger picture here.

Does Tesco have a promotion on for vodka?

nah. Just beer mate.

Waste not, want not and all that.

.>.>

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Maybe they were buying the vodka to use for cleaning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Would you have been as concerned if they walked out with two cases of wine or beer? If they're sober and over 18 there is no problem - the shop isn't being irresponsible selling it to them.

11811 wrote: »
    Would you have been as concerned if they walked out with two cases of wine or beer? If they're sober and over 18 there is no problem - the shop isn't being irresponsible selling it to them.

If they bought 4 bottles of wine and 3 bottles of vodka and then went into the park across the road from Tesco...do you think the supermarket would be irresponsible?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If they bought 4 bottles of wine and 3 bottles of vodka and then went into the park across the road from Tesco...do you think the supermarket would be irresponsible?
    No, if they bought a load of toilet roll and then went into the park and left a big steaming poo in the middle of the park you would hardly blame the supermarket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

WTF? That's not even an argument, it's a joke... You are blaming the supermarket? How the hell is it the supermarkets fault? And no, there shouldn't be restrictions... silly thread tbh...

If they bought a swing and brought it to the park would you say "well done tesco for selling a swing to these guys, we really needed a new swing?" - the responsibly lies in those who have purchased the alcohol, it is up to them to drink responsibly. Do you blame the car dealership when someone is killed in a car crash because of speeding? No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

this reminds me of a story i saw in the paper(could have been today) about a lad who complained to the authorities about a bar givin away free drink.
    tosser.

• Advertisement

If they bought a swing and brought it to the park would you say "well done tesco for selling a swing to these guys, we really needed a new swing?" - the responsibly lies in those who have purchased the alcohol, it is up to them to drink responsibly. Do you blame the car dealership when someone is killed in a car crash because of speeding? No.
    funny how they allow all cars to be mechanically capable of breaking the top speedlimits. with airguns u have a restriction on the air pressure used to fire the propellent, otherwise its considered a dangerous illegal weapon, but its fine to sell a family car that will do 120mph

funny how they allow all cars to be mechanically capable of breaking the top speedlimits. with airguns u have a restriction on the air pressure used to fire the propellent, otherwise its considered a dangerous illegal weapon, but its fine to sell a family car that will do 120mph

Guns and Cars - two very different things (obviously) guns are in fact designed as weapons, where as cars are not, so I think its fair that something designed as a weapon is restricted as not to harm anyone...

and not everywhere has speed limits.

anyway what has that got to do with Tesco selling 6 bottles of vodka to these lads...

Guns and Cars - two very different things (obviously) guns are in fact designed as weapons, where as cars are not, so I think its fair that something designed as a weapon is restricted as not to harm anyone...

and not everywhere has speed limits.

anyway what has that got to do with Tesco selling 6 bottles of vodka to these lads...

air guns, they arent classed as weapons untill they surpass a certain pressure value. just like a potato gun is not a weapon.

checv police cars are designed as weapons, they have a special chassis thats easy to repair, and strong so they can ram other cars.

air guns, they arent classed as weapons untill they surpass a certain pressure value. just like a potato gun is not a weapon.

checv police cars are designed as weapons, they have a special chassis thats easy to repair, and strong so they can ram other cars.

:rolleyes:

for a start you mentioned family cars -
    and secondly - from the dictionary - gun |gən|
    noun
    a weapon incorporating a metal tube from which bullets, shells, or other missiles are propelled by explosive force, typically making a characteristic loud, sharp noise.

by definition even a potato gun is a weapon.

Advertisement