Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dublin Mountains Map

Options
  • 21-04-2009 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

EastWest Mapping have published a detailed 1:30,000 map covering all of the Dublin Mountains and part of North Wicklow (from Poulaphouca Resevoir to Djouce north). It contains lots of information, including detailed forest trails, places to park, places to hike, etc. and has a very good colour scheme.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I ordered my copy yesterday and hope it meets expectations. I've always felt the OSI 1:50000 map 50 never was never detailed enough - a more detailed map on the same scale as the Harveys was always needed. I get the impression from the website that three futher maps are being planned so as to cover the whole greater wicklow area.

Its a pity east-west mapping website is so hideous. It must surely date back to the mid-90's and must do their company image no good at all.

hi

there is a link on the mci website to make comments on the discovery series of maps to the OSI. What really gets to me is the poor quality of the paper.
    Even using a mapcase, they seem to have a very short lifespan.
    I welcome the addition of this new map by East West mapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've ordered one as well.

The sample on the wesbite looks good and very clear. They also seem to add all the little parking opportunities (at least I assume that's what the little red P's are) on top of the "official" parking spots ... very handy.

I also agree on the appalling quality of the OSi 1:50k series for outdoor use. It really isn't good enough that there isn't a 1:25k outdoor map for an area like the Wicklow Mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ordered too. Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

Got this yesterday. Mostly impressed. Seems to cover most of the trails in the area very well. Still, I wonder how long it'll be until some landowner gets peed off with the extra walkers the map will bring to some areas and starts erecting fences? :mad:

Slightly disappointed that the Sugar Loaf isn't included and only half of Carrickgollogan is represented. Would have been more useful to more people to have included them rather than the eastern side of the Poulaphouca Reservoir.

Back cover seems to indicate that we have three more maps to look forward to: Wicklow Mountains West (incorporating Blessington, Mullacleevaun, the Wicklow Gap and Laragh/Glendalough), Wicklow Mountains East (incorporating Sally Gap, Djouce, Bray, Sugar Loaf, Roundwood, Ashford and Wicklow) and Lugnaquilla (incorporating Glendalough and Glenmalure). Even though they cover a lot of the area in the Harvey map, I hope we'll see these soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Thanks for the info OP, just ordered one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Got mine yesterday. Looks good, although I'm not keen on relief shading at the best of times .. makes the map harder to read in bad light conditions with my aging eyes. The Harvey's map does without this and is all the better for it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

What really gets to me is the poor quality of the paper.
    Even using a mapcase, they seem to have a very short lifespan.

Get a lamfold one they are great, and last forever:)

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Got mine yesterday, looks great with lots of detail.

One thing I noticed is that the 'Dublin Mountain Way' is listed in the map key, but I don't see any actual Dublin Mountain Way trails on the map, or am I just colour blind?

D

The level of detail in the map is impressive.
    I like the way it not only has pubs marked on the map, but also their names, Zellers, Mooneys etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

IrlJidel wrote: »
    Got mine yesterday, looks great with lots of detail.

One thing I noticed is that the 'Dublin Mountain Way' is listed in the map key, but I don't see any actual Dublin Mountain Way trails on the map, or am I just colour blind?

D

The dublin mountains partnership is supposed to be developing a marked trail from tallaght to the coast and I suspect this is what the maps refers to but the trail itself is probably a long way off in the future. No doubt future editions of the map will have it. Overall i'm impressed with the quality of the map.

http://www.dublinmountains.ie/home/

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

dogmatix wrote: »
    The dublin mountains partnership is supposed to be developing a marked trail from tallaght to the coast and I suspect this is what the maps refers to but the trail itself is probably a long way off in the future. No doubt future editions of the map will have it. Overall i'm impressed with the quality of the map.

http://www.dublinmountains.ie/home/

Found that the Pineforest map on the site has part of the Dublin Mountains Way indicated:

http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/uploads/tx_r3coillterecreationsites/cruaghtibradden_06.pdf

I presume from Cruagh you head into Masseys Wood and then into Hellfire Wood.

I'm not sure what route it'll take from the SW of Montpelier to get down into Glenasmole valley, don't know any public rights of way connecting the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Chris Peak

I like the way it not only has pubs marked on the map, but also their names, Zellers, Mooneys etc.

That really is a great help. Also, the names of buildings and when they were built is good.

I ordered mine on Wednesday night (21:30), and it arrived Friday morning. :eek::D
    So good to get before the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Thanks for your kind comments, folks. Yes, I had proposed to show the route of the Dublin Mountain Way on the Dublin & North Wicklow Mountains Map. But the way these things go, there were delays agreeing the route and we had to get a move on with publishing the map back in March. The current plan is that there will be a special edition of the above map published for the Dublin Mountains Partnership and this will show the Dublin Mountain Way as well as highlight the considerable lands in public ownership, recreation areas and access points etc. Should be printed later this year - 2009.

No map is ever complete and I would very much welcome comments on errors and omissions with a view to correcting for hopefully future editions.

The website!! Yes, it is crude but it works and at least you know there's a human at the other end rather than some automated ordering system :) A job for the winter, I think - need to concentrate on fieldwork in the summer!!

thx again, Barry D, EastWest Mapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 campbellu

Now Aug 2010 and RTE have shown Trails going on Dublin Way yet no link is provided to a map ? Is one available ? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Hi folks, EastWest Mapping is producing a special edition of our mapping at 1:25,000 scale for the Dublin Mountain Partnership. This will show the full route of the Dublin Mountain Way. The map is pretty much ready to go to print except that there are a couple of outstanding access issues to be sorted out. You might well guess where these are by reference to the thread above.
    I think it's fair to say that the developers of the route have done their best to keep the route off tarmac road but have been frustrated and delayed in places by the usual things that arise in this country.

Barry D, EastWest Mapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 campbellu

Just read your leg of the IMRA 2009 relay which you ran up that WW section I walked yesterday, I now feel silly and stupid but still feel they should change it! for us humble hill walkers! keep on running.

campbellu wrote: »
    Just read your leg of the IMRA 2009 relay which you ran up that WW section I walked yesterday, I now feel silly and stupid but still feel they should change it! for us humble hill walkers! keep on running.

Ran it again in 2010 :)

Also, if the wicklow way is your thing, you might be interested to know that a few select people have done it in a day. Eoin Keith has the record for running its length. Ryan Sherlock MTBed it. Don't have the times to hand but both were pretty phenomenal and would take some beating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Ran it again in 2010 :)

Also, if the wicklow way is your thing, you might be interested to know that a few select people have done it in a day. Eoin Keith has the record for running its length. Ryan Sherlock MTBed it. Don't have the times to hand but both were pretty phenomenal and would take some beating.

He did it in 13 hours 46 minutes. Nutcase.

• Advertisement

Donny5 wrote: »
    He did it in 13 hours 46 minutes. Nutcase.

I was there in Clonegal when he finished and he was remarkably fresh despite the ordeal.

Advertisement