Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Game Soundtracks

Options
  • 21-04-2009 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭

Oh hellew. Was just listening to some music and realised quite a bit of my iTunes library is made up of videogame soundtracks, especially those of Resident Evil & Silent Hill, and it got me thinking about how many games had really, really memorable soundtracks, that added alot to the overall game (and in some cases were the only redeemable aspects of the game!)

For me, I'll start with Road Rash 2. The soundtrack was great, even if the sound wasn't, they managed to make the most of it, and all credit to them for it. Another game, actually by EA, that had a great soundtrack was Need for Speed 3: Hot Pursuit. Honourable mentions of course go to Final Fantasy 7, Silent Hill (actually pretty much every Silent Hill) and Resident Evil. Those games all had amazing soundtracks or scores.

So, I'll ask YOU, what was the most memorable soundtrack, or maybe even the worst, ones so bad it ruined the game? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The original Command and Conquer music. I don't think Frank Klepacki has topped it since. The theme on the first level was so damn catchy, I still remember it (even though I haven't played C&C since the year it came out).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

FF7!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Mr E wrote: »
    The original Command and Conquer music. I don't think Frank Klepacki has topped it since. The theme on the first level was so damn catchy, I still remember it (even though I haven't played C&C since the year it came out).

Oh my god, how did I forget that?! The soundtrack to number 2 (Red Alert) is BRILLIANT :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

f-zero (any flavour) has to be in there imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

AGE OF CONAN!!!!!!!!!

Sorry,but the music in that is the best I've ever heard in a game. Steve Vai's version of the halo soundtrack in halo 2 was pretty sweet too. I also liked the Mass Effect music and the music from most 3d zelda games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

Metal gear series has cracking music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Leprachaun wrote: »
    AGE OF CONAN!!!!!!!!!

Sorry,but the music in that is the best I've ever heard in a game. Steve Vai's version of the halo soundtrack in halo 2 was pretty sweet too. I also liked the Mass Effect music and the music from most 3d zelda games.

Is that Steve Vai on the Halo 2 soundtrack, I had no idea. I was going to mention that soundtrack because at times it was awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

I think the Shadow of the Colossus soundtrack is one of the greatest video game soundtracks, evar! Koh Otani is a genius. I have a lot of Nobuo Uematsu's work, so lot's of FFVII and even Advent Children, and Takeharu Ishimoto's work on Crisis Core and Dissidia has earned those soundtracks a place on my mp3 player. I love soundtracks that combine classical epics with guitar heavy tracks or complex piano pieces, which JRPGs provide a lot of. Hitoshi Sakimoto is like a JRPG soundtrack god, his work on Valkyria Chronicles is so awesome. A lot of the Metal Gear Solid music is damn good too.

I love the soundtracks to the Pokemon and Sims games. I always find myself humming them when I'm doing inane labwork, heh. The soundtrack to Maxis games are just brilliant. I'll never be able to listen to jazz music seriously because of the Sim City and The Sims games! I thought that Brian Eno's work on Spore was really good too. The soundtrack to Deus Ex needs a mention, it perfectly fits with the look and feel of the game.

Nine Inch Nails Quake/Rob Zombie Quake 2/Starcraft music ftw.

As for bad soundtracks, at the moment I'm playing Fable II and I find the soundtrack to be so lacklustre. It doesn't demand my attention at all and I think it lets down what is otherwise a brilliant game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

how could i forget the terran music from starcraft ?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Shadow of the Colossus +1

Okami has some fantastic music.
    No matter what mood I am in, this track always cheers me up.

Braid has some really great music, particularly the two tracks by Shira Kammen, such as this one.

Um, I have the Grim Fandango soundtrack downloaded too, some nice jazz numbers in there.

Oh and the Katamari series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Got the multipack with the Audio Disc. That guy did some good work.

But more importantly, if you can't tell me off the top of your head, which game this came from, you absolutely suck:http://tinyurl.com/ctzbl8 First thing that comes to mind anytime I'm trudging through a light rain.
    Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries
    . To listen to more of the same visit this: http://tinyurl.com/dx3h6s

Also because I've played it, easilly, 30 times, if not 50, I'm intimately familiar with the soundtrack to Megaman X. I like timing it just right in Storm Eagles Level so you enter the capsule just as the Guitar goes into the didideeedidideeedidideeedidideeedidideeedididuuudididuuuuuu... Oh stfu you KNOW wtf im on about.

Also anytime Im watching the birds outside my kitchen window I've got the World Map track from FF8 in my head.

Then of course anytime you get to a Flea Market you are bound to hear something since you were a kid. One vendor had the original TMNT for NES playing on its demo loop and the track just took 15 years back off my life. What an annoying game though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

rock n roll racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Fzero +1. The guitars version of the soundtrack was savage.

Duck Tails. Just for the moon song.

There are alot of good remixes of it if you go looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Guitar hero... obviously... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

We'll solve a mystery....

OR REWRITE HIIIIISTORY!!! DUCKTALES!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

legend of zelda
    metal gear
    halo

all the soundtracks for those series are brilliant

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

+1 for Shadow of the Colossus ost. Brilliant music for a brilliant game. Also, most of Nobuo Uematsu's music is great, with Final Fantasy VII being my personal favourite. The Halo series also has some brilliant music, with 1 and 3 being the best. 2 went a bit to electric for my liking.

The Freedom Fighters soundtrack is a must have for anyone who likes game soundtracks. Its got some fantastic tracks, with a great Russian sound to them. Definitly one of my favourites. Another not so famous one,

Ace Combat has some fantastic tracks across the last few soundtracks. Megalith from Ace Combat 4, Unsung War from Ace Combat 5, Zero from Ace Combat: Belkan War and Liberation of Gracemeria from Ace Combat 6 are my favourites. 5 has the best overall soundtrack though, with several great tracks.

Other notable mentions should go to Half Life 1/2, Baldurs Gate series, Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey, any Zelda game and many many more.
    Hell March remains one of the coolest tracks in any game, ever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Panzer Dragoon Saga would be my favourite. The soundtrack is huge yet there isn't one song that isn't less than stunning. The work that went into it was immense with it's unique sound. Panzer Dragoon Orta comes close other than the fact that it has less tracks.

Kow Otani's Shadow of the Colossus OST is absolutely amazing. I don't know where Sony managed to get the bright idea to use Kow Otani because his anime music has been really generic and nothing special with very little orchestration. He wouldn't have been my first choice, but then again I have been proven very wrong.

I've always loved Hitoshi Sakimoto's soundtracks and have bought games on the strenght that he was the composer. His best soundtrack is far and away Vagrant Story although special mention goes to Final Fantasy Tactics, Soukyuguretai, Radiant Silvergun, Odin Sphere and Vagrant Story.

Nobuo Uematsu's music deserves a mention. For me his best work was in FFVI and FFIX.

For oldschool chip music nothing beats the Megaman 2 soundtrack. Someday I'll be able to play Wileys stage music on the guitar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Nobuo Uematsu has never disappointed me. I love his work and it's very difficult to pick out just one soundtrack. At a push I'd say FFVIII, excellent music throughout, although even his recent work (Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey) is also excellent. My favourite piece, don't even have to think: Battle on the Bridge, FFV. If you like Final Fantasy music, look this up. It is glorious!

From my dreamcast days, I think Shenmue and it's sequel were both excellently scored. Takenobu Mitsuyoshi is the composer here, but he hasn't done much else of note afaik.

For tone and atmosphere, Gary Schyman's Bioshock score is brilliant. Not the kind of thing I'd find myself humming like the above examples, but still excellent.

Uematsu > all, tbh (clichéd as that is :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Pause music from battletoads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Is that Steve Vai on the Halo 2 soundtrack, I had no idea. I was going to mention that soundtrack because at times it was awesome!

Yep Steve Vai did the guitar version in Halo 2,can't remember which level it was on but I think you're on a Warthog when it comes on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--t5FapddSA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Aw man I remember that tune, it's great, thanks for posting it. Mute city 1 in F-Zero had a fantastic tune IMO.

I loved the Castlevania 4 and Secret of Mana soundtracks on the SNES meself:-).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

How could I forget Symphony of the Night.

Also more castlevania music, Simons Quest had a great chip soundtrack as had Castlevania: Draculas Curse.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Guitar Hero: Metallica :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Dragon Quest VIII and World of Goo are memorable

Secret of Mana soundtracks on the SNES meself:-).

Oh love that one aswell. Still got my cartridge of it. the main theme, overworld theme (near the end of the game), mana beast boss music and the ending theme (sad bit at the start) stick out for me.

Secret of Mana 2 and chrono trigger should also get honourable mentions.

Also always loved the boss music in Rocket Knight Adventures

I could go on for hours. This thread is making me nostalgic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭eddie.fandango

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Pause music from battletoads

*Boom CLACK Boom CLACK Boom CLACK CLACK CLACK*

How has no one mentioned the greatest soundtrack ever...Super Mario Bros. From what I've heard, the PixelJunk: Eden soundtrack sounds amazing, really chilled house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Haha, as if that Battletoads level wasn't annoying enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

need for speed underground

Fifa 96

• Advertisement

How has no one mentioned the greatest soundtrack ever...Super Mario Bros.

Its kinda a given. I think everyone would agree that mario, sonic, zelda, halo, metal gear all have some jems.

Advertisement