Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Game Soundtracks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Deus Ex

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Soundtrack threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

For me it has to be shadow of the colossus and Metal Gear Solid..

I think Burnout 3 had a great soundtrack too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

The two Jet Set Radio soundtracks are pure class. Panzer Dragoon Orta is another personal favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

GOD DAMMIT dont show many any ace combat tracks or so help me ill have to buy a PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

1. Rez.

2. Jet Set Radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I dont think game theme/soundtracks will mean as much to a person who hasn't played the game.

Half the reason you love them is because of the game, and the atmosphere and memory it created when you were playing the game, and when you hear it it brings back nostalgic memories of that excellent time playing.

Its the same with films really

E.g. Little green bag isn't the greatest song ever...but its an amazing theme, only cause anytime I hear it...you straight away think of the intro to reservoir dogs....same with bad to the bone and terminator 2

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I dont think game theme/soundtracks will mean as much to a person who hasn't played the game.

Half the reason you love them is because of the game, and the atmosphere and memory it created when you were playing the game, and when you hear it it brings back nostalgic memories of that excellent time playing.

Good point well made.

I tend to (mostly) ignore soundtracks people recommend that aren't from games I have played here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

^^^ Definitely. These songs are a time-warp back to when you first played the game. And music is tremendously subjective. Here's some songs/soundtracks I really love.

I love these soundtracks, but i'm gonna pick out my favourite song from each one. I've included youtube links to the song. I was gonna put the whole article in spoilers so I'm not hogging the page, but the spoiler function looks really gay. Sorry I'm hogging the page...

=========

Most of these songs are awesome in itself, but complimenting itself perfectly with an awesome game, and taking me back to the past; it's just an unparalleled combo. Here we go!

Streets of Rage Stage 1 song (MegaDrive)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgjlDZZjuEo
    I hate dance/chart etc etc music but I love this game, and I enjoy the beat of this song. It's awesome. It sets the tone of kicking ass, and cleaning up the Streets....of Rage!

Shadowrun (Club Theme) (SNES)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyCBNl9nCAY
    This is a cyber-punk isometric adventure game from 1994. I loved it. It was Matrix before Matrix was Matrix! Futuristic settings, head jacking, deckers.... oh yeah!
    One of my tracks was the "club" theme. Pretty ****ty by today's standards, but I thought it was awesome.

Donkey Kong Country (Opening Theme) (SNES)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrOsS3EV_lA
    The simple opening, which booms into a bongo-style epic theme sets the tone. This is a new age in gaming, and a new, awesome franchise. DKC Jr. is back, baby! This was one of my favourite games. I'm not big into Chimps, but i'm big into this.

Mortal Kombat II (Attract screen theme) (Arcade)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V36WhNC8vA
    I'm a big fighting game fan, and this is my favourite fighting game ever. I know the controls weren't as tight as SF, but this had fatalities. And it was awesome. The iconic attract screen theme, showing various special moves on screen, was just the beginning. Oh yes.

Super Street Fighter II HD Remix (Ken's Theme) (XBL/PSN)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXuA0kpUEr4
    Of course this soundtrack builds off the excellent Street Fighter franchise, it's just the themes remixed. And it's awesome. Although there's some really great tracks, free courtesy OC Remix, I love Ken's best. It's a rock anthem with nerdy synth too. It's perfect. The whole soundtrack is really worth a listen, and a must if you're a Street Fighter Fan. Don't get me wrong, SSF2T had a rockin' soundtrack, but this updated one is beautiful.

Resident Evil 1 (Mansion Theme) (PS1)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLXhNwKVw1o
    There are a lot of awesome atmospheric songs from the Resi series, but none so haunting to me as the Mansion themes from Resi 1. There's also some kickass japanese rock music at the end of 1 and 2, but I find this music lovely. There's a song just before you have to run through water (with Neptune swimming after you) which is just music pings slightly out of time, it struck me for some reason. If you're not a fan of it already, give it a miss. Hey, it's up to us to take out Umbrella! (bass/awesome music kicks in)

Silent Hill 2 - Theme of Laura (PS2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LB7LZZGpkw
    Akira Yamaoka did another fantastic job with this game series in 2001. Kind of retro, 70s "The Doors"-like quality, but also great sadness, I think he nailed down the theme of Silent Hill 2 perfectly. Although a lot of this soundtrack is just bonks and clonks, the actual music is lovely. I can almost feel the regret of the protagonist listening to it.

Super Mario World - Overworld Theme 2 (With Yoshi) (SNES)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC7ILAUyeGg
    I couldn't find the isolated track, but the bongos start around the 38 second mark. Whenever you get on yoshi, bongos play. Awesome. And this track in particular is quite hectic, and the bongos go full out. One of the best games ever made, has a perfectly awesome midi-sequence soundtrack. Just brilliant.

The Legend of Zelda - LoZ Medley (Hyrule Symphony) (SNES A Link to the Past Medley)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRZqVDs6moQ
    I'm a huge mark for Zelda music. I think it's just so amazing. It's so popular that orchestras in Japan do renditions of classic themes. The best one I've heard is Hyrule Symphony, and my favourite track is the Medley at the end. It goes through the main themes from LoZ : A Link To The Past (SNES). I can't overstate how beautiful Koji Kondo's score is. It's not just ALTTP, but Ocarina or Time, and even some stuff from Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. My favourite OST is the SNES game, A Link To The Past. It was the perfect marriage of accessibility, gaming, puzzles, music and graphics. Just everything together in one package. I'd highly recommend playing this game even if you don't play games. It's that good. It's not so hard that you'd get stuck. You could spend 40+ hours doing all the side quests and picking up hearts. Don't wanna do the main quest? Fine! There's other things to do in Hyrule :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

For me Ocarina of time has the best soundtrack ever hands down!!

But best theme for a game i think is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e54tu2XGfGU

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Super Street Fighter II HD Remix (Ken's Theme) (XBL/PSN)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXuA0kpUEr4
    Of course this soundtrack builds off the excellent Street Fighter franchise, it's just the themes remixed. And it's awesome. Although there's some really great tracks, free courtesy OC Remix, I love Ken's best. It's a rock anthem with nerdy synth too. It's perfect. The whole soundtrack is really worth a listen, and a must if you're a Street Fighter Fan. Don't get me wrong, SSF2T had a rockin' soundtrack, but this updated one is beautiful.
    Can't ever beat the original

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.
    Call of Duty: World at War.
    Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater.
    Ace Combat: The Belkan War.
    Assassins Creed.

Like them all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Command & Conquer. was listening to it on the way back from the picnic today.
    im a mechanical man

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I loved GTA Vice City's soundtrack, that will probably be my all time favorite. Although its probably a bit of an obvious choice.

The best non-commerical music soundtrack for me would have to be from the Hitman series, they were so atmospheric.

I loved the music in Goldeneye, I haven't played the game in probably 5+ years but I could still recall the tune in every level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I always thought this worked well in Max Payne

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Osmos has a really fitting score to it. And the way the tempo of the music changes as you speed up or slow down time is really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Deus Ex's soundtrack is pretty cool

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I suddenly remembered this track last night, I haven't heard it since getting to the final boss in the game.

Brilliant though.

Give it until the 36 secs mark at least..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Battlefield Vietnam

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

As a big fan of ambient music, I love all the stuff Eric Brosius did for the Thief games and System Shock 2.

For example, in the Down in the Boneyard level of Thief, you have to find an artifact. It sings to you, getting louder as you get close. Helping you to navigate your way through a very large area. An example of brilliant sound design.

You can hear what I mean from 3:07 onwards.

In the Mage Tower level from Thief Gold, in one tower the music changes subtly as you progress from room to room. Sounds like music Brian Eno would make for one of his installations.

The music from the Trail of Blood level in Thief II. Added so perfectly to the tragic atmosphere of that level.

I could go on and on about Thief. Still my favorite games of all time. I hope Eidos don't screw up No. 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Mass Effect had an amazing soundtrack - really set the scene
    Halo 3's was good in places
    Resident Evil 4 had some nice pieces, like this one;

They all pale in insignificance to Kenji Yamamoto's fantastic work on Metroid Prime's soundtrack. Phendrana Drifts, Talon Overworld II... Eargasm central!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I love that track as well noodler. Pity the last boss was a breeze :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I recently started playing Enemy Zero on the saturn. It's a really weird game which is a mix of an FMV adventure game but with FPS elements were you fight enemies that are invisible and can only be detected by sound and you have a crappy gun that needs 5 seconds to charge up and only has one bullet. Anyway the game is original but not great but the music in the game is stunning and by Michael Nyman who did the soundtrack for the film the Piano.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I love that track as well noodler. Pity the last boss was a breeze :)

I think thats like the third reworking of an original track in VC!

I had lots of trouble with Max, couldn't get his health down fast enough for a long time.

Easy when you know how though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Agree with Cianos, Osmos has a fitting, ambient score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Streets of Rage! Playing that last night at a mates, great soundtrack!

My favourite single composition for a game though has to be the Hyrule theme in Zelda. Great melody.

I also am a blues nut, so some of the stuff in L4D2 sounds great to me, very rarely hear slide guitar in games so i get a great kick out of it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

love the resident evil 2 soundtrack.

the score in that game and series, was just amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭fizzynicenice

+1 on Vice City. Emotion 98.3 FTW.
    And the score to Fallout 3 was pretty badass, the soundtrack was good too if you like that 1950's theme.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    I think thats like the third reworking of an original track in VC!

Hitoshi Sakimoto does that a lot. There's always a reoccurring theme in each game he scores that filters into a lot of tracks on the soundtrack.

For example Radiant Silvergun (another stunning soundtrack):

Advertisement