Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Crested Grebe

• 21-04-2009 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I saw one today in Kildare for the first time ever? Are they rare or have I just been unfortunate?

PS I am new to boards and this is my first post

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Hi 123,

They are what's classed as an Amber listed bird. They are not uncommon but favour the northern half of the country. They are a beautiful bird and it's always a joy to watch their mating dances.
    Winter distribution is widespread with greatest concentration in the north midlands and northeast and birds from the continent join the resident population. Outside the breeding season Great Crested Grebes are often solitary with some birds moving to the coast through the winter. Occasionally, large congregations form for short periods. Birds start returning to breeding areas from mid-February.

Where to see: The highest numbers of breeding pairs can be found on loughs in Counties Cavan, Armagh and Monaghan and there are 13 sites that regularly support nationally important numbers of Great Crested Grebes over the winter. Eight sites holding the largest concentrations are Belfast Lough (County Down), Loughs Neagh & Beg (Co. Antrim), Dundalk Bay (Co. Louth), Carlingford Lough (Co. Down), Lough Swilly (Co. Donegal), Upper Lough Erne (Co. Fermanagh), Cork Harbour (Co. Cork), Lough Sheelin (Co. Cavan).

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/Default.aspx?tabid=141

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭stevensi

A beautiful bird. I wouldn't say that they were rare but can be elusive. I did see three of them while walking along Sandymount on Good friday. They have a fantastic courting ritual so you should look out for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Nice little bird.
    I just had a look at the amber list and I'm surprised at some of the birds that are in decline :(
    I saw a nice little group of black tailed godwits last week (95% sure). Sad to see they're also in decline.

littlebug wrote: »
    I just had a look at the amber list and I'm surprised at some of the birds that are in decline.

Don't panic! ;) Amber listing does not necessarily mean a decline in numbers in Ireland. Indeed some birds are Amber listed as they have increased in numbers from Red listing. Ireland can have high numbers of Amber listed birds because of their European status. e.g. Oystercatcher.
    Amber list species are those with an unfavourable conservation status in Europe; those whose population or range has declined moderately in recent years; those whose population has declined historically but made a substantial recent recovery; rare breeders; and those with internationally important or localised populations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

hey are wonderful birds. I had the pleasure of seeing them really close up in the RSPB centre in Belfast Harbour a number of years ago.

Srameen, can you remind me of the name of the guy who ran or runs that centre? I remember him telling us the story of how he was the most arrested bird watcher in the world :D!

• Advertisement

Boneless, I know there's an Anthony McGeehan up there but I don't know if that;s who you are thinking of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Boneless, I know there's an Anthony McGeehan up there but I don't know if that;s who you are thinking of.

That's him. A really great guy. I must go and see him again. Oh, and I saw some of the grebes in Wales this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

This was taken in Roundwood at the Vartry lakesDSC07918-1.jpg

Advertisement