Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New York City Marathon

• 21-04-2009 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I am looking into doing the New York City Marathon, does anyone know of ways in which I can get guaranteed entry?

I had a look at sportstravelinternational who offer whole packages from Ireland but I don't need a hotel in New York as I have lived there before and have places to stay, accomodation seems to be a large part of the expense in the packages.
    There is a UK site called sportstoursinternational who offer entry and flights but they say you need a UK address. Do people think this is just so they can send you stuff or do people think I could just register with them and use a friends address in the UK as my own.

Does anyone else have any other ideas or opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

Have you done a Marathon in the past year? If so the qualifying times are on the site. They are tough but reasonable. Take a look and then your only expense are the flights and entry fee (which is €200+)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Peckham

Only ways of guaranteed entry are to run a qualifying time, go on a package deal, or take one of the charity places that are heavily advertised at the moment.

Alternatively, you can enter the ballot for places, but chances of getting picked out are slim. I was in the 2007 & 2008 ballots with no success, am in again this year- if you get rejected three years in a row they guarantee entry in the fourth year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Peckham wrote: »
    Only ways of guaranteed entry are to run a qualifying time, go on a package deal, or take one of the charity places that are heavily advertised at the moment.

Alternatively, you can enter the ballot for places, but chances of getting picked out are slim. I was in the 2007 & 2008 ballots with no success, am in again this year- if you get rejected three years in a row they guarantee entry in the fourth year.

Do you have to use an american address for the ballot or is there an overseas ballot?

Nope, anyone can enter here.

It's $10 to enter the ballot, and You have to give credit card details and agree to pay the full entry fee if you're successful (which you find out in June/July). You may have the option of deferring your place until 2010 if you're successful (not too sure on this last point).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Just entered this years ballot too, am guaranteed to be there at worst for 2011 at this stage all going well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You may have the option of deferring your place until 2010 if you're successful (not too sure on this last point).
    I believe slogger_jogger deferred his place this year, having 'won' a lottery place, so it is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 suppo

I ran the Berlin Half at the start of the month (first ever race) but missed the qualifying time by 10 minutes.
    Peckham have you seen any Irish charities that will get you just guaranteed entry? I saw there are a few charities but anyones I looked at seem to be going through the website I mentioned above and I would have to buy a whole package which I don't need.
    Looking at the website places through the lotto system seem very limited for international runners.

Most international entrants come through our Official International Travel Partners [ITP], so only a portion (including athletes with disabilities) will be selected through a lottery drawing in mid-May

Charities - off the top of my head I think Croi, Temple Street and Beaumount Hospital all do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Crumlin Childrens Hospital as well.

Crumlin Childrens Hospital as well.

Forgot about them. Think with them you can get a good package that involves travelling over with Eamon Coughlan (?)

• Advertisement

International ballot site down this morning.
    My login suggests something but I refuse to believe.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

Unfortunately, you were not selected in the random international lottery drawing. Please understand that we have to limit the size of the field to ensure a top-quality experience.
    First refusal. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

It's $10 to enter the ballot

Is that deducted from entry fee if/when you are successfull?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

Saw this thread a few weeks back and although I had no real plans to do New York this year I thought I`d get started on the refusal count!
    Lo and behold I got an email last week to say I got in! :eek:
    My cousin in the Big Apple is suddenly my "favourite" :D
    It was $11 to enter the ballot and now they`ve taken $231 entry fee..
    Happy Days!

Congrats Magnet (and possibly Rovers_Runner). I'm hoping for 2011/2012. Talk about planning in advance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I didn't hear anything from them about my application this year :confused:

OH MY GOD...just checked after I realised you could log in to check I'M IN :eek: :D :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ruarl Runner

Didn't get in... Not having much luck with ballots (London now NYC) :) ???

Mail recieved to say I'm in, I assume the €170 odd fee is charged now whether you run or not?
    Think I'll have to go for it this year, 2 in a week with Dublin ?
    Lots to muse over.

Mail recieved to say I'm in, I assume the €170 odd fee is charged now whether you run or not?
    Lots to muse over.
    You could always defer it until next year.

• Advertisement

Lots to muse over.

Yeah, I don't know which to do. 30th year of Dublin or 40th year of New York :confused: I'm meant to be going back to college this year, in the UK too. I need a biiiiig lotto win. :( Could race Dublin and just go to New York and enjoy the experience.

I only really applied for the same reason as Magnet to start building up the refusals. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

I only really applied for the same reason as Magnet to start building up the refusals. :pac:

Ha Ha Great (100miles)minds (100miles)think (100miles)alike (100miles)or (100miles)is (100miles)that (100miles)Fools (100miles)seldom (100miles)differ?? :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 downser

I got a no as well - really not having any lottery luck.
    Have decided instead to go for a guaranteed entry & signed up to do it for the heart charity Croi (www.croi.ie) They have only a few places left. Seem to have a good set-up with good accommodation, physio etc travelling with the group. Gave me a few good ideas for how to make the fundraising easier. Think they might offer a discount as well if there is more than one person signing on - not sure. They had a meeting last night for all travelling so am really revved up to go now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

downser wrote: »
    I got a no as well - really not having any lottery luck.
    Have decided instead to go for a guaranteed entry & signed up to do it for the heart charity Croi (www.croi.ie) They have only a few places left. Seem to have a good set-up with good accommodation, physio etc travelling with the group. Gave me a few good ideas for how to make the fundraising easier. Think they might offer a discount as well if there is more than one person signing on - not sure. They had a meeting last night for all travelling so am really revved up to go now!

bag packing in local Dunnes or Tesco's is always really good. You'd be surprised how much you raise by doing that. Table Quiz in your local pub? Organise a mini sports day for the local kids or something?

Am just back from holiday and got the email to say that I'm in. Don't even want the place, and was basing my strategy on building up three refusals in consecutive years (got refusals in 2007 and 2008), however looks like that's blown up in my face! I thought getting places in this lottery was a real long shot.

Will be deferring to 2010, but had planned on doing London next year, so lots to think about.

Will be deferring to 2010, but had planned on doing London next year, so lots to think about.
    Well at least they're at either ends of the year. The NY qualifying time for men (18-39) is 2:55. At least you know you're good for the London time, better to run NY while you can (imho!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I believe slogger_jogger deferred his place this year, having 'won' a lottery place, so it is possible.

Correct! Entered lottery the last 3 years, so guaranteed this year. Also would have gotten entry on the back of my sub 3:10 for an M40 last year achieved in Cork. However, having registered for this year, I deferred it til next. You can defer year on year if you wish once you pay the registration fee, but I hope to make it there next year.

You can defer year on year if you wish once you pay the registration fee, but I hope to make it there next year.

So, how much extra will it cost me to defer to 2010? The fee has been taken from my credit card.

Will I be able to defer again to 2011?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I think they'll sting you for the full entry fee each year you choose to defer, so its not something you'd want to do more than once I reckon :rolleyes:
    Incidentally, I deferred mainly 'cos I was already registered for Dublin (30th anniversary and all) and didn't fancy the 2 marathons in 6 days... not to do them (and myself) justice in any event.

• Advertisement

I'm trying to decide between New York and Dublin now, had planned on going back to college this year(much to my managers displeasure) IF I was to choose New York I'd probably put college off for a year as I couldn't afford both. I really want to do the 30th Dublin marathon though...and I'm a proud member of Peckhams pacers. :D

Looks like I'm gonna have NY as a holiday now too if I go so would be able to see some Knicks games hopefully.
    Dublin & NY combo is a nice challenge in itself.

Oh start of the new NBA season, never thought of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

The NY qualifying time for men (18-39) is 2:55.

And sub 1:23 for the half.

Well done to all you lottery winners ;). Was really discounting that method of entry as I felt there was little chance.
    Anyway has anyone entered through the qualifying time standard?
    With so many half and full marathons in Ireland do all these races qualify?
    Would like to give it a go in 2010

Heads up for anyone thinking of going:

Flights back down to €400 return now with Aer Lingus for around the weekend of the marathon.
    Probably as cheap as they'll get without being stuffed onto a 3x3 continental.
    Also the bib numbers were accidentaly published at login the other day.
    Ferry/Bus info is on the site too.

Plans in motion now for myself so NY now that takes priority, won't see Dublin until 2010.

Have you booked anything for NY yet RR? Still looking into it myself, cutting it fine I know...main priority for me is a hotel near enough the start/finish area.

Has anyone run NY before? Which is the best airport to fly into?

• Advertisement

Hey, only seen reply now, have flights booked now so Dub is off in favour of trying to put some sort of effort into NY.

Am staying with friends for most of time over there but may get a hotel for night before and night of marathon.
    Anywhere south of the southern tip of Central park is good as most will be in reach of the 1,2,3 trains to get to South Ferry subway station.
    Also you can change for that at Penn station if you are staying further out in Queens/Brooklyn direction.

Airport depends on Accomodation, they do buses from Jersey to the start so you could fly Continental to there if you find a hotel there.
    We're with Aer Lingus to JFK so am either staying out near there or in Queens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭runsalot

got in with a 1:11 half from last year.
    1st time doing New York.
    Was wondering what the starting/waiting area is like.I've heard your out there for 3 to 4 hours before the start.

runsalot wrote: »
    got in with a 1:11 half from last year.
    1st time doing New York.
    Was wondering what the starting/waiting area is like.I've heard your out there for 3 to 4 hours before the start.

Good stuff, that would have put you in the top places of one of the races in Ireland last year?
    You can be there too early it seems if you take the buses from mid Manhattan.
    Best to take the 7:30 Staten Island ferry to be there by around 8am.

all except the national half marathon championships :o
    I got a room just a mile from the finish so i guess midtown will be fairly close too.cheers for info!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

You can be there too early it seems if you take the buses from mid Manhattan.
    Best to take the 7:30 Staten Island ferry to be there by around 8am.

I like this 8am talk , I got in but undecided whether to go....but if I do and assuming I stay around Central park how would ya get to the start like , step by step would be great ..Thanks !!!

• Advertisement

dario28 wrote: »
    I like this 8am talk , I got in but undecided whether to go....but if I do and assuming I stay around Central park how would ya get to the start like , step by step would be great ..Thanks !!!

http://mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Take the 1 train (Red) south from 59th St. Columbus Circle if staying on Central Park south or basically get any connection possible to a station that has a red line train going south.
    The blue line will also get you to Chambers St. just beside the WTC so you can change for the red line there for a few extra mins of a trip.

Will take about 30 mins to get down, maybe a few extra if you need a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

http://mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Take the 1 train (Red) south from 59th St. Columbus Circle if staying on Central Park south or basically get any connection possible to a station that has a red line train going south.
    The blue line will also get you to Chambers St. just beside the WTC so you can change for the red line there for a few extra mins of a trip.

Will take about 30 mins to get down, maybe a few extra if you need a change.

Thanks for that ,
    And after the ferry are ya in the starting area ?

dario28 wrote: »
    Thanks for that ,
    And after the ferry are ya in the starting area ?

As good as, there are shuttle buses to the start (5m away) at the Staten Island side.

So, I've been on and off about running this since I got my place. Planning on running the two, up until today, due to recurring injuries etc I was most definitely out until next year. Then a big information pack came in the post and I got all happy and excitable again. *sigh* NYRR are such teases.

So, I've been on and off about running this since I got my place. Planning on running the two, up until today, due to recurring injuries etc I was most definitely out until next year. Then a big information pack came in the post and I got all happy and excitable again. *sigh* NYRR are such teases.

Yes they are, even though you can view the booklet on the site they still send it out good and early to make you want to be there even more.
    My reckoning was I wouldn't be going there with a chance of enjoying it so giving Dublin a miss this year, won't be back to NY again I'd say.

So anyone else here still headed for New York ?
    Bib and corral information was posted the other day on the site, I'm on the upper deck of the bridge thankfully.

Brilliant line up in mens elite field even if our own Martin Fagan won't be there with Tergat, Lel, Ramaala, Gomes dos Santos and Gharib while Radcliffe returns to run(win) the womens race.

Seems only the record chasers avoid this race now so should be an excellent tactical race up front.

Meanwhile I'll be trying to find the smallest disposable camera known to man to capture some shots from places people on foot don't get to see in the greatest city on earth.

just got an email last night saying i got accepted into the sub-elite program.Ill have to have the tri-colour on show somewhere on me gear :-)

Fair play runsalot, you must have had a good qualifying time for that.
    Same goes for myself with getting the Irish colours on show, trying to avoid a soccer jersey so will have to look into it a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Best of luck guys...Did this last year and it's a fantastic marathon.. especially for my first one :D
    Defo bring a camera..and word of advice..morning of the marathon bring a tent or some extremely warm clothes that you can throw away just before your start time....you're there at 6.30am in the morning and hanging around for 3 hours...and it's fcuking freezing there every year.
    I ignored this sound advice I got last year :(

thanks RR,im thinking something suble like a shamrock (Neil Cusack style the year he won Boston).The real irish will know who it represents.
    Try and stay healthy till then,should be some trill!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement