Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whole new diet

• 21-04-2009 11:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

Hi all, not too sure if this is the right forum to be posting this in, please move to correct one if not. Moving on from that......

Last week I felt pretty sick and I put it down to working more hours than usual and covering for a colleague when he was on holidays, plus my diet of course. I haven't felt as sick in ages. I am one of these people who just eat junk food constantly. I was a big fan of coca-cola, pizza and so forth till the other week.

I get up in the mornings and eat no breakfast, this is because I don't feel hungry. I have been doing this for about 4 years know. I would go off to work and wouldn't eat anything till half way through the day. I would then by a chicken fillet roll and more often than not a box of wedges.

This would keep me going throught he day along with a few cans of coke and bars of chocolate. When I get home I would order a take away..... This was my diet for the past year before I moved out of home.

This week I have given uo the coke and have started drinking water. I have gone to the take away and got my usual with club orange instead. Hopefully this would be a bit healtier than coke. I really want to turn my diet around and start to put on a bit of weight. I only weigh about 10.5 stone and in my opinion am very skinny.

I really want to get back into eating the right sort of food, but I don't know were to start. So can you please help me out......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Well, if you normally eat the same stuff day in day out why not try something along the lines of the following:

Breakfast - Porridge with Banana
    Lunch - Lunch box of egg, cheese and tomato, along with a home-made fruit salad (preserve it with lemon juice)
    Dinner - Cook yourself up a stew twice a week (it'll last a few days). Big pot, throw in chicken or shin-of-beef cut into chunks, stock (you get the stock squares in any shop), chunks of carrots, slice up a cabbage, couple of spuds and what ever else you can think of in the way of vedge.

And just eat plenty of fruit too, and I've become very fond of those big 500g bags of cashew and almond nuts! :)

Not a scientific diet but might be enough to get you started and out of the chipper and coke routine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭*Honey*

I can't see that Club Orange would be better than Coke - they're both loaded with sugar. If you want something like that, why not try orange juice? At least there's some nutrition in it?

Also, if you are going to keep having takeaways, try to get a more healthy type, ie instead of sweet and sour chicken, have chicken and broccolli or something? Or, if you can, make your own chinese... try cooking one meal a week and then increasing it more and more every day.

Breakfast is really really important - it means you'll eat less in the day and for your evening meal. You can buy microwave porridge which will take no time at all to make.

You could make small changes every week to change your diet - like switching the coke for orange juice or having lower fat version of the takeaway to making your own dinners and having porridge for breakfast. Each change, even small ones, will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Recently over hawled my own diet just eating veg and chicken or fish at the moment. I just wondering thou about protions of veg. Is there such a thing as TOO much veg. i walk in n out of work every day, takes about an hour each way so i do burn off quite a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    I really want to get back into eating the right sort of food, but I don't know were to start. So can you please help me out......
    First off Club Orange is no better than coke.

Water is great, tea/ coffee (sugar-free) are fine, juices are ok and fizzy drinks are downright terrible.

A diet that consists of nothing but junk-food is essentially a one-way ticket to being malnourished - devoid of nutrients, vitamins and minerals and heaped with hydrogenated fats and simple carbs. I'm not surprised you got sick tbh. But you want to make changes so that's great.

There's a heap of information here so reading that is a great start. Small changes will yield big results. Make time for breakfast, eat regular meals, and treat take-aways as occasional treats not a staple part of your diet.
    oppiuy wrote: »
    Recently over hawled my own diet just eating veg and chicken or fish at the moment. I just wondering thou about protions of veg. Is there such a thing as TOO much veg. i walk in n out of work every day, takes about an hour each way so i do burn off quite a lot.
    It's very hard to eat too much veg - it's very low in calories for its volume so you'll most likely get too full before eating "too much".

Advertisement