Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbeth character Question!.. do they always come up?

Options
  • 22-04-2009 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

does a character Question always come up.. n the other is to do with theme... izn it?
    im only concentrating on the characters... i've studied the witches, macbeth and lady macbeth.... who else do u think might come up??.... :confused:

what have ur teachers been saying?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

There is no rule which states ''one character and one theme question'' usually that is the format, but like in 07 the 'character' question was on how Macbeth and Lady Macbeth's relationship changes, so I mean that isn't explicityly just a character question. Personally I wouldn't reccommend putting all your eggs in one basket.. because themes like 'appearance vs. reality/deception' are hotly tipped this year and would probably be a nicer question to answer than a character question on Banquo or Macduff. Also studying the themes will give you a more rounded knowledge of the play so you wont have to rely as much on 'off by heart' answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

appearance v reality, lady macbeth from bitch to human, the supernatural in macbeth and maybe imagery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

I would concentrate on:

1. Characters:

Macbeth's transition from 'worthy gentleman' to 'tragic hero'.
    The demise of Lady Macbeth, ie. her ruthless ambition causing her disintegration
    The witches as the embodiment of evil.
    The porter in relation to providing comic relief

2. Themes:

Good versus Evil
    Appearance versus Reality
    Kingship

3. Imagery/Symbolism

Blood: "Is this a dagger which I see before me" "Out damned spot" etc
    The supernatural -witches, hallucinations, Banquo's ghost
    Pathetic fallacy (weather reflecting the mood of the play)

I would also take note of both Macbeth and Lady Macbeth's soliloquies in terms of what they reveal about the play, the characters etc

Finally, I would take 3 quotes for Macbeth himself ("Bellona's bridegroom" etc) and 3 other general quotes which may be useful to support any question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

firstly, try to understand the actual play

i heard people saying 'its grand im just gonna learn off 3 essays and tweek em for the real quetion'...

if u actually understand what goes on in the play this is alryt to do.. wouldn recommend it tho.. i really think if you just learn off a few essays and a few quotes the max your gonna get is a B.. its the understanding of the play that sorts out the men from the boys

:cool:

Advertisement