Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deck question

Options
  • 22-04-2009 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭

I`m in the process of restaining my deck the problem is that when it was put in either they didnt space out the floor lenghts of timber or they just put the side by side, either way my question is I need space for dranage, the whole thing was nailed together so taking it apart is outta the question and i`m on a low budget, I was thinkin of drilling some small holes along the joints for dranage? I tried cutting along the joint but its to hard and not enough room for a blade to get in there. The edges of each timber is half bullnosed so all kinds of dirt gets trapped in there, is there any quick and easy and CHEAP way of creating some dranage, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

I'm in the deck business,

drainage : there should be 5mm gaps between each board for drainage, if the deck was put down recently and the boards are butted up against each other, you may be lucky and as the boards dry out over time they will shrink, creating the gap you need.

You could drill holes although this wont look great, holes will need to be 10-12wide any smaller and they will get clogged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

k123456 wrote: »
    I'm in the deck business,

drainage : there should be 5mm gaps between each board for drainage, if the deck was put down recently and the boards are butted up against each other, you may be lucky and as the boards dry out over time they will shrink, creating the gap you need.

You could drill holes although this wont look great, holes will need to be 10-12wide any smaller and they will get clogged

The deck has been here at least 5 years so its well situated, I was`nt to keen on drilling the holes either. The only thing that I could think of that would be able to cut it would be a jigsaw, but it would be very hard to get a straight line I`d imagine.Who ever put in down was a gob****e, I would of thought that nails would be the lat thing a person would use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

run a skill saw up the joint .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

If u are using a skill saw , make sure u set the depth on it, so it does not cut into the joists under the deckboard, you need to measure the depth of your DB's

For a straight line screw a straight pice of timber to deck, use that as a guide for your jig or skill saw.

Be extremely careful with both saws, in paticular the skill saw, if a skill saw hits a nail it may jump back, if you are using a helper ensure keeps hands clear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

k123456 wrote: »
    If u are using a skill saw , make sure u set the depth on it, so it does not cut into the joists under the deckboard, you need to measure the depth of your DB's

For a straight line screw a straight pice of timber to deck, use that as a guide for your jig or skill saw.

Be extremely careful with both saws, in paticular the skill saw, if a skill saw hits a nail it may jump back, if you are using a helper ensure keeps hands clear

OK Daddy....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

lewis wrote: »
    OK Daddy....

lol he hehehe

Advertisement