Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Could you possibly mean that some businesses have made donations to FF and then FF give them a complete monoploly on all firearms related sales in this country :eek:

Never :confused: :P:mad:

Sir! FF.............Brown envelopes???...............With there fine reputation??? I demand satisfaction Sir to uphold the parties honor. Pistols at dawn?? Oh wait FF banned pistols:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

[mod]
    Ah, humour. Ha. Ha ha even.
    Nonetheless folk, please re-read the sticky in the main forum regarding allegations against named people please?
    [/mod]

Next week's Dail schedule is out, the CJ(MP)Bill is up for continued debate next Wednesday. It's provisionally down for the morning session, but it's last on that list, so it'll probably be pushed back to the afternoon session.

It's due on the agenda again on the Thursday, with a cap on debate for 1530h at which point they'll vote to send it to the Committee stage.

Still time to write your local TD and have them bring up points about the Bill in the Dail...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

]Dermot Ahern: [/I][/B]
    . As I announced at that time, those who already have licenses can, when they are due for renewal, apply to have them renewed albeit under the new licensing procedure where the safety of the community will be paramount.[/QUOTE]

Anyone know the new licensing procedure, what firearms does it cover? all i would think,but anyone know the facts?

Sparks wrote: »
    Next week's Dail schedule is out, the CJ(MP)Bill is up for continued debate next Wednesday. It's provisionally down for the morning session, but it's last on that list, so it'll probably be pushed back to the afternoon session.

It's due on the agenda again on the Thursday, with a cap on debate for 1530h at which point they'll vote to send it to the Committee stage.

Still time to write your local TD and have them bring up points about the Bill in the Dail...

Just wondering sparks. what happens at committee stage? Whats the point of the debate before it goes to the committee? And has any party full or majority control over the committee? Once it passes committee stage what happens? Is that then the new law? Or can it be changed after committee stage?

Thanks ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

After Dail committee (FF 7, FG 4, Lab 2) it then goes on to Seanad committee (FG 2, FF 1, Lab 1)

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

From CitizensInformation.ie:
    A new law in Ireland, starts life as a "Bill". A Bill, is a proposal for legislation. Apart from Private Members' Bills, Bills are usually initiated by the Government.

A Bill may be commenced in either the Dáil or the Seanad but it must be passed by both Houses to become law. Usually, Bills are commenced in Dáil Eireann.

Before it is introduced to the Dáil, the contents of the Bill are approved by the Government. Usually there will be a process of consultation with Government departments and groups likely to be affected by the Bill. (Examples of these groups may include voluntary organisations, lobby groups, members of the public, etc.)

Sometimes, the Government will publish a "Green Paper". A Green Paper is a discussion document setting out ideas and inviting comment and views from individuals and relevant organisations.

The Bill is then put before the Dáil for a general debate on the principles of the Bill. Members of the Dáil may make suggestions for amendments and additions to the Bill.

The Bill is then sent to committees to be examined section by section. After the committee stage, more amendments may be made to the Bill.

The final stage in the process is a debate in the Dáil, confined to the contents of the Bill. The members of the Dáil will then vote on whether to pass the Bill. There is a system of electronic voting in place that allows members to vote by pressing a button at their seat to indicate whether they vote for or against the proposed legislation.

The Bill will then be sent down to the Seanad to go through the entire process of debate and committee examination again. The Seanad has 90 days (or any longer period agreed by both Houses) to consider the Bill and do one of the following:

* pass the Bill without any amendment or
    * reject the Bill completely or
    * return the Bill to the Dáil with amendments.

If the Seanad rejects the Bill or returns it to the Dáil with amendments that the Dáil does not accept, the Bill will lapse after 180 days. The Dáil may, within those 180 days, pass a resolution declaring that the Bill is deemed to have been passed by both Houses. This provision means that the Seanad cannot generally stop the Dáil from introducing legislation - it can only cause delays.

"Money Bills" are Bills that relate to taxation or relate to spending by the Government. The Seanad has only 21 days to consider these Bills.

Once the Bill has been passed by both Houses, the Taoiseach presents a copy of the Bill to the President for signature. Once the President has signed the Bill it becomes an "Act" and has legal force. You can view all Irish legislation from 1922-2003 here.

When the Bill comes to the President for signature, he or she does have an important power. If he or she considers that the new Bill may conflict with the Constitution, he or she may, after consultation with the Council of State, refer the question of whether or not the Bill is constitutional to the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court must then decide whether or not the Bill is constitutional before it can be made law.

So all n` all a good chance of this bill getting turned around seen as FG and Lab are not in favour of the changes to the firearms section :D It gives a man a little bit of faith in the system after all:eek:

Ive had no replies back from any of the TDs etc ive called or emailed lately. But at least my opinon has been registered to them as a voter;)

Anyone know if the Gardai/DoJ guidelines have been drafted yet? Or when they will be made public? As in a way, they will be the new law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

They may not be in favour but have they the courage to say no. If they do I'll vote FG and Labour for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

[mod]
    Ah, humour. Ha. Ha ha even.
    Nonetheless folk, please re-read the sticky in the main forum regarding allegations against named people please?
    [/mod]

You mean we have to regard politicans as people :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

Regard should not even be used in the same breath at present!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

Hopefully something that suits both parties ie us and ff will be sorted soon.

Anoyone finding it hard to get 9mm ammunition lately?????
    i have been trying for weeks and nobody seems to have any,is this somethine to do with restrictions on firearms dealers.
    no dealer in limerick anyway just a guy who sells mostly fishing tackle and some .22 and shotgun ammo.
    we really need a real gun shop down here.

daveob007 wrote: »
    Hopefully something that suits both parties ie us and ff will be sorted soon.

Anoyone finding it hard to get 9mm ammunition lately?????
    i have been trying for weeks and nobody seems to have any,is this somethine to do with restrictions on firearms dealers.
    no dealer in limerick anyway just a guy who sells mostly fishing tackle and some .22 and shotgun ammo.

i know this is straying from the main thread but its getting very frustrating

Hi davie,

You might be onto something here. If 9mm pistols are restricted so to is the ammo. And so you have to have a restricted dealers licence to sell it!! Am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

[

[/QUOTE]
    And he wont be doing that for much longer either,by the sound of things.:(
    Dave try either Pat Hayes in Mallow or Casales in Cashel.They are next closest reliable sources I can find around here for consistent 9mm supplies.Casales had plenty of 9mm on Sat.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    [
    And he wont be doing that for much longer either,by the sound of things.:(
    Dave try either Pat Hayes in Mallow or Casales in Cashel.They are next closest reliable sources I can find around here for consistent 9mm supplies.Casales had plenty of 9mm on Sat.[/quote]

ok thanks for that one.
    phoned the guy in mallow this morning and he only had competition ammo at a very hjgh price for a box of 20.
    never mind dont want to hijack this thread its for more urgent matters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

daveob007 wrote: »
    ........ and he only had competition ammo...

What other types are there? On the other hand do I want the answer :eek:

I'm guessing he meant match ammo, in which case other types would be practise ammo :D

What other types are there? On the other hand do I want the answer :eek:
    the brand he mentioned was magtech gold and cant remember the price but they were at least double the price of the normal practice ammo and come in boxes of 20.
    thats not much use to me as i am only a novice

...and back on-topic, the Misc Bill is on the order of business for the Dail today. Discussion is scheduled to happen in one of two sessions, 1130-1330 and 1545-1900, but the Finance Bill is due for discussion before the Misc Bill, so we might not even see it mentioned at all if the Finance Bill drags on until it's guillotined at 1900 tonight.

We're also on the agenda for tomorrow, in the 1030-1530 session, right after a vote on a motion to do with Bord Iascaigh Mhara, and then the debate is guillotined at 1530 and they'll vote to send it to Committee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

...and back on-topic, the Misc Bill is on the order of business for the Dail today. Discussion is scheduled to happen in one of two sessions, 1130-1330 and 1545-1900, but the Finance Bill is due for discussion before the Misc Bill, so we might not even see it mentioned at all if the Finance Bill drags on until it's guillotined at 1900 tonight.

We're also on the agenda for tomorrow, in the 1030-1530 session, right after a vote on a motion to do with Bord Iascaigh Mhara, and then the debate is guillotined at 1530 and they'll vote to send it to Committee.

so sparks did we get a mention today?

Not sure yet, problems with the proxy server here meant I couldn't watch it live. Anyone else see it?
    (Personally, I'd be a bit surprised if the Finance Bill discussion didn't drag on until all the time was used up - I think it's more likely we'll be talked about tomorrow, but I could be wrong).

Still on Finance Bill, amendment 15 of ??. Must complete by 7pm. It will probably go the whole way so we should be up tomorrowmorning finishing at 3.30pm

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

They're winding up on the finance bill now and they've an hour left so they might well get to us tonight.

They're now voting on the Finance Bill, so unless they adjourn early, we should get at least one TD speaking on the Misc. Bill tonight.

And that's the vote done, the TDs leg it out of the chamber and we set up for the Misc bill.

Beverly-Cooper Flynn now speaking on the Misc Bill (she met with some of the shooting groups earlier).

ON NOW

Firearms up first. Saying there is a gun culture in society at the moment and the Minister wants to change it...

This bill will cap the number of "full power" handguns and that number will decline and we're phasing-out handguns and banning practical shooting and requiring all firearms to be bought through RFDs.

• Advertisement

Now talking about european warrants.

Advertisement